Sign in to follow this  
Guest andyjohnston

Down memory lane...

Guest sidideas

I remember the first version of FS i used to have was version 5.1Back then my favourite aircraft was the Learjet. I liked it because i could travel faster to different locations. Even then, with only a few sound effects and the graphics of those times, FS didn't stop to capture my mind. How much experience do you guys have with FS?Fast forward to today. Upcoming FSX has a lot in store for us, and i'm sure each one has his own expectations and anticipates certain details. I wonder if FS is going to become so good some day, that it might become possible to fly a real aircraft, from the already accumulated knowledge from FS? :)

Guest Bell206freak

I've been using Flight Simulator since Flight Simulator for Windows 95. Principally, however, I've done most of my flying with Flight Simulator 2004 and Flight Simulator 98. FS98 was what really got me hooked. That's because they had the only true helicopter simulation around at the time, and I'm one of those "dyed-in-the-wool" rotary-wing types who flies nothing but helicopters.I'd say that by now, I've already accumulated close to 3,000 hours of flying time in the Bell JetRanger in Flight Simulator (including Flight Simulator 98) Checking my logs, I already have 2100 in Owen Hewitt's freeware Bell JetRanger alone.I cannot wait for Flight Simulator X to hit the shelves, that's for sure.:)

My experience is almost exactly like yours. In terms of Microsoft, my first version was FS5.1 also. My favorite plane was the Lear. There were not that many airports back then. However, I remember heading out to the west coast from O'Hare and actually seeing mountains where the Rockies were and remember being impressed.The only problem I had and continue to have is that I still have never been able to get smooth and consistent framerates. My hardware has always been a step behind. However, I am partially to blame with my insistence that all settings be at max with additional add-ons. I vow not to purchase FSX until I am certain that I can purchase a computer that will at least be upgradeable (without ripping out the motherboard) to give be smooth framerates with all settings to the max, even with highly detailed add-ons. I am tired of playing this game of catch-up.With airplanes utilizing computers more and more to fly and with home computers becoming more and more powerful, allowing them to emulate aircraft flight and systems, I have no doubt the day will indeed come where it will be possible to fly a real aircraft with no more skills than being able to punch come keys on your home computer.RH

Guest grapesh

>them to emulate aircraft flight and systems, I have no doubt>the day will indeed come where it will be possible to fly a>real aircraft with no more skills than being able to punch>come keys on your home computer.>>RH>But, hey, will it be flying or just a plane-operating? I don't think that you can really get all the required skills without ever leaving the ground. Although, I can imagine you could perhaps be able to fly UAVs this way...

Guest GrahamD

I must be getting old. The first version of Microsoft Flight Simulator I ever used was called "Microsoft Flight Simulator".

Guest andyjohnston

My first one was also 5.1. There was no map or anything to look up navaids, so I created my own way of navigating, and eventually was able visit about 50-60% off the cities on the continental US. How things have changed.