Sign in to follow this  
Sethos

Ultra Weather XP 2.5.1 - Finally clouds to the horizon

I saw this piece of news, about the announcement of the 2.5.1 update *and* the paid "Pro" upgrade.

https://www.thresholdx.net/news/uwxppr

The big ticket item is obviously clouds going all the way to the horizon, which is very exciting. One of my major gripes with most X-Plane weather solutions. However, my big question is; would this be some a special way the developer found of doing this or is it a function exposed in a recent update, for developers, so that we might see other addons follow suit, possibly even the various free offerings?

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

Unless it's something achieved with the standard datarefs, I very much doubt that any free weather injector will follow up.

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days

From what I see in the comparisons, that layer at the horizon is gonna cost $10 - pro price so I hope to see more than that for ten bucks.

Apparently there are more new features coming, but they have not given any information yet.

Edited by Pugilist2

Intel i-9 13900KF @ 6.0 Ghz, MSI RTX 4090 Suprim Liquid X 24GB, MSI MAG CORELIQUID C360, MSI Z790 A-PRO WIFI, MSI MPG A1000G 1000W, G.SKILL 48Gb@76000 MHz DDR5, MSI SPATIUM M480 PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 2TB, Windows 11 Pro Ghost Spectre x64

“We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the day and night to visit violence on those who would do us harm”.

Well, xEnviro and Skymaxx both have clouds on a longer distance. To be honest it was just Ultra Weather and default weather not having them.

Now, if that is worth 10 dollars, without any comment about performance (which we know degrades the more clouds you have, xEnviro and Skymaxx both show this), well it is up to the viewers i guess.

For me it isn't, perhaps it will be once the other features will be known. It is kind of weird however after they promised free updates to those who bought UWXP 2.5 not so long ago.

Chock 1.1: "The only thing that whines louder than a jet engine is a flight simmer."

4 minutes ago, france89 said:

Well, xEnviro and Skymaxx both have clouds on a longer distance. To be honest it was just Ultra Weather and default weather not having them.

SkyMaxx also suffered from circle rendering, that was never to-the-horizon either. I think xEnviro is the only one who really solved it.

• Upvote 1

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

There could start some confusion after reading above: UWXp is currently priced 35$ on the org. The pro version will be +10$ for existing customers, and I haven't seen a price yet for new customers.

It is not a free plugin. And it is certainly not 10 bucks for the pro version for new customers.

5 hours ago, Sethos1988 said:

SkyMaxx also suffered from circle rendering, that was never to-the-horizon either. I think xEnviro is the only one who really solved it.

xEnviro didn't solve it in any meaningful sense except visually. Which I know is the first thing we notice, especially at high altitudes, but it's not the real problem.

The real problem is that X-Plane uses a primitive 2D weather engine that can only generate weather from a single injected real world METAR (or fixed weather menu setting) in a circle around your plane. The weather conditions are always the same in a 360 degree circle around you.

The underlying weather engine can't represent discrete weather systems, like a bank of CB's you see off in the distance that you need to fly around or above, something different than the weather you're actually flying "in". You're only ever flying within one weather system centered around your plane, until a different METAR kicks in and replaces it completely. Sometimes with smoke and mirrors to hide the transition, but that's what's happening.

Until Laminar re-writes the underlying weather engine for a full 3D system with more than one METAR active, or until one of the add-on developers figures out how to replace the entire underlying weather engine from scratch, this is what we're stuck with.

So just speaking for myself, I don't get too bothered about "clouds out to the horizon" because I know it's not a faithful representation of injected real world weather. The circle of clouds is just an artifact of how primitive the underlying "weather centered around your plane" system is. 

/rant... sorry, this is a major gripe of mine, and it probably won't be addressed until XP12, if then. 

• Like 1

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

Heh, guess not then

zfkPBJD.jpg

That makes even less sense. I mean, what are they doing? Are they acting offended? Did i get it right?

Chock 1.1: "The only thing that whines louder than a jet engine is a flight simmer."

What a kindergarten. Get X-Vision and call it a day.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

-

Belligerent X-Plane 12 enthusiast on Apple M1 Max 64GB

1 hour ago, Colonel X said:

What a kindergarten. Get X-Vision and call it a day.

Second that, ActiveSky XP and X-Vision are a great combo.

• Like 1

Torfi

Also ActiveSky XP and latest SMP v4.8 not bad at all too, giving it a new try.

Alexander Colka

On 5/21/2019 at 5:20 AM, Paraffin said:

xEnviro didn't solve it in any meaningful sense except visually. Which I know is the first thing we notice, especially at high altitudes, but it's not the real problem.

The real problem is that X-Plane uses a primitive 2D weather engine that can only generate weather from a single injected real world METAR (or fixed weather menu setting) in a circle around your plane. The weather conditions are always the same in a 360 degree circle around you.

The underlying weather engine can't represent discrete weather systems, like a bank of CB's you see off in the distance that you need to fly around or above, something different than the weather you're actually flying "in". You're only ever flying within one weather system centered around your plane, until a different METAR kicks in and replaces it completely. Sometimes with smoke and mirrors to hide the transition, but that's what's happening.

Until Laminar re-writes the underlying weather engine for a full 3D system with more than one METAR active, or until one of the add-on developers figures out how to replace the entire underlying weather engine from scratch, this is what we're stuck with.

So just speaking for myself, I don't get too bothered about "clouds out to the horizon" because I know it's not a faithful representation of injected real world weather. The circle of clouds is just an artifact of how primitive the underlying "weather centered around your plane" system is. 

/rant... sorry, this is a major gripe of mine, and it probably won't be addressed until XP12, if then. 

Completely agree,  its such a put off honestly. 

Even the current clouds have an issue , certain angles they look like paper , probably that's the 2d thing ? transition within the mountains is also not great.

If the particle system  gets implemented in the scenery / wx and the engine is opened up that could be fun. 

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

Used to Active Sky and Sky Force in P3D

Does Active Sky work the same with SMP or X- Vision 

Interested in ease of use 

xxd09