Sign in to follow this  
swanfly

GTN 750 on a Tablet?

Is there anyone using the GTN 750 on a tablet?  I think it would be a great (more realistic and efficient) way to interface with P3D.  A search did not turn up much except for someone using an  "external touch screen monitor in undocked window".  I did look into this a number of months ago, and what I found available then was F1 Tech's expensive G750 which would (apparently) run on a Windows tablet [only].....So, I am hoping that some simmers are successfully running the 750 on an external tablet.  If so, any guidance is appreciated.....thanks, bill.

Edited by RXP

24 minutes ago, swanfly said:

Is there anyone using the GTN 750 on a tablet?  I think it would be a great (more realistic and efficient) way to interface with P3D.  A search did not turn up much except for someone using an  "external touch screen monitor in undocked window".  I did look into this a number of months ago, and what I found available then was F1 Tech's expensive G750 which would (apparently) run on a Windows tablet [only].....So, I am hoping that some simmers are successfully running the 750 on an external tablet.  If so, any guidance is appreciated.....thanks, bill.

I use a program call SpaceDesk.  It works really well on my IPad 32gb 2017 version..I think it also works with any tablets and it is free...Check it out.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, egguzman said:

I use a program call SpaceDesk.  It works really well on my IPad 32gb 2017 version..I think it also works with any tablets and it is free...Check it out.

What about impact to frame rates on the primary display? 

Every time I have tried one of these secondary device solutions it has had a serious impact on frame rates on the primary display, sometimes halving them.  I keep hoping something like this will come along without that complication.

Regards

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

11 hours ago, w6kd said:

What about impact to frame rates on the primary display? 

Every time I have tried one of these secondary device solutions it has had a serious impact on frame rates on the primary display, sometimes halving them.  I keep hoping something like this will come along without that complication.

Regards

Hi Bob,  I haven't notice any frame drops with my IPad.  Maybe a little but it is manageable, to me anyway.  Maybe on some low-end tablets it might cause loss of frames so it might depend on the processor on the tablet/Ipad.  I am using a relatively new 2017 Ipad with 32gb and a quad core processor so that might be why I have pretty good frames. Also, when using it my router is near me so I am getting a good WIFI  signal as well...

Edited by egguzman
  • Like 2

Thanks Egguzman for that recommendation - it looks promising!  And thanks Steve - I checked out the Jon Fly link, and hopefully it can work in P3D.....Bob:  good point about the possible hit to the main screen. Good info so far - thanks you guys.

Edited by RXP
removed unrelated product info

I use RXP GTN 750 with the Real Sim Gear GTN 750 Bezel....It is pretty sweet.  Full Hardware controller that is an HDMI display and then has Touch plus the knobs and buttons....it is like 499....Well worth the money!!

• Like 3

Les O'Reilly

Im on P3d4 and use an app "Twomon Pc" to an android pad for Panel Builder. Makes the pad additional screen with no difference to your frame rates. The app is about $14 AUD from the windows app store.

Ken

• Like 1

Thanks krono.....Definitely will check out "Twomon Pc" - looks like what I am looking for (and not expensive).

and Thanks LesOReilly.....the RealSimGear 750 with bezel is expensive, BUT what a great idea!  If there is an acceptably low frame hit, I think it would be the cat's meow.

I briefly used Duet display for use my Ipad as an extra monitor. That worked, but when the Ipad goes offline , may primary windows display, with P3D running!, goes in portrait mode..... very annoying. And pity, as Duet uses the Ipad with USB cable connected to the P3D pc, so no loss because of wifi signals. Maybe I will try the other apps mentioned in this thread.

UPDATE: I installed Spacedesk, that goes well. But when in fullscreen mode I undock the XP 750 windows, move it to my Ipad and half of the times I click on the 750 , its window disappears. .. I also use EZCA DOK , it is a EZCA window, maybe that has something to do with it?

So far it only works on  my Iiyama touchscreen monitor, which of course is attached to  my pc, but this monitor has a problem, some areas are not clickable (anymore).

Edited by Rene_Feijen

MS FS 2020 | I9-13900K@5.8 GHZ  | 64 GB DDR5 4800mhz |  ASUS TUF RTX 4090 O24G Gaming   | HP Reverb G2 | Navigraph | VATSIM | TPR Pedals | Virpil collective & stick | Honeycomb | 2023: Real life RPL MLA microlight trainee (Ikarus C42CS)

On 5/31/2019 at 12:41 AM, swanfly said:

Thanks krono.....Definitely will check out "Twomon Pc" - looks like what I am looking for (and not expensive).

and Thanks LesOReilly.....the RealSimGear 750 with bezel is expensive, BUT what a great idea!  If there is an acceptably low frame hit, I think it would be the cat's meow.

I don't really see much of a frame rate change running this.....since it is just another "Monitor" that the sim has access to.

• Like 1

Les O'Reilly

Installed Spackdesk - also working well (Dell gaming laptop) - don't see any noticeable hit in FPS
(2yr old ipad pro for 2nd screen)

Edited by julian46
  • Like 1

Just to add to this. I'm running 2 GTN 750s on my system. one is on a 7" touch screen monitor and the other on an Ipad Pro 10" using spacedesk. Works really well! I have a physical cockpit so the immersion is really nice.

• Like 1