Sign in to follow this  
Rasterfahnder

REX Sky Force technical update 2.2 available

9 hours ago, JasonPC said:

Finally working again. I think it is a testament that Sky Force is really a good program for me to miss it so much when it's not working. It's a huge upgrade over default clouds.

Glad you got it working.

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

Despite all the negative publicity REX has received  here at AVSIM, I would still highly recommend REX SkyForce 3D to any new user who wants the best looking clouds & structures, as well as the sky colors. The best weather engine is till ASP4!

• Like 3
  • Upvote 3

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

5 hours ago, DJJose said:

Despite all the negative publicity REX has received  here at AVSIM, I would still highly recommend REX SkyForce 3D to any new user who wants the best looking clouds & structures, as well as the sky colors. The best weather engine is till ASP4!

Yep I agree combo is ASP4 + SF+ EF 😎

André

I find that some of the skyforce cloud textures absolutely obliterate my frame rate, from a locked 25 down to 10 in some cases, I own a home cockpit so only use a full outside view also. This on an i7 9700k @4.9 and a 1080ti...

I like SF but dont use it now for this reason, wish there was a way to exclude certain texture sets  

Edited by kand

Are you using 512 DXT5 textures? No set should be any worse than the other as they are all the same size and quality.

• Upvote 2

1024 dxt5, I dont like the look of 512 because as you get up close you can see the low res. I dont have this issue with ASCA or Envtex. Rex acknowledged that some of the heavy hitting textures would be corrected in the creative update but that seems ages ago now. 

5 hours ago, kand said:

Rex acknowledged that some of the heavy hitting textures would be corrected in the creative update but that seems ages ago now. 

That is not true. We acknowledged that some 'heavy hitting' cloud models would be corrected, which was performed already. However, we are looking into a more frame friendly solution across the board for cloud models in our Creative Update 1. 

6 hours ago, JasonPC said:

No set should be any worse than the other as they are all the same size and quality.

Very true. Same with all texture products. 

Tim Fuchs
Managing Partner
REX SIMULATIONS 

support www.rexaxis.com

I wonder did anyone try to compare the weather generated by Hifi Active Sky and the Skyforce built-in weather engine? I ask this because I read that SF introduced a lot more cloud models compared to Hifi ASCA, When using the REX SF weather engine, surely the engine will use all the cloud models REX developed, but how about AS? Does AS actually use the additional cloud models introduced by REX? I have no idea how the weather engines work in background, just curious is there any huge difference between the visual generated by the two engines.

It does use cloud structures when using ASP4. I need to do some testing to see if the cloud structures are any better using REX’s weather engine but so far it looks spectacular with ASP4.

2 hours ago, JasonPC said:

It does use cloud structures when using ASP4. I need to do some testing to see if the cloud structures are any better using REX’s weather engine but so far it looks spectacular with ASP4.

Great! Please report back after your test or post the comparison screenshot.

5 hours ago, timest said:

That is not true. We acknowledged that some 'heavy hitting' cloud models would be corrected, which was performed already. However, we are looking into a more frame friendly solution across the board for cloud models in our Creative Update 1. 

Very true. Same with all texture products. 

Thanks Tim, I stand corrected. However I always have the SF models installed in the sim as I think they give the best variation. If I use SF textures greater than 512 (AS4 wx) I suffer large FPS hits in some heavy wx scenarios. Pausing the sim and switching over to ASCA (which some textures dont look as good) and the FPS get restored? 

I have tried the DXT5 512 SF textures and this problem goes away, but I dont like the blocky square look that low res textures in general provide when up close. 

I am certain others have reported same, and why would the advice be to use lowest resolution when high res are provided anyway?

14 hours ago, kand said:

I find that some of the skyforce cloud textures absolutely obliterate my frame rate, from a locked 25 down to 10 in some cases, I own a home cockpit so only use a full outside view also. This on an i7 9700k @4.9 and a 1080ti...

I like SF but dont use it now for this reason, wish there was a way to exclude certain texture sets  

than  there  must be  something  going on with your  set  up  if  your  down  to  10  fps

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

If I can keep my locked 24 fps pegged at 24 anywhere in anything then with your PC not even drawing a VC like Peter says you have a problem at your end sadly.

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

1 hour ago, pete_auau said:

than  there  must be  something  going on with your  set  up  if  your  down  to  10  fps

agree, i run EF , SF 2048 clouds , AS, PTA RD1.8 , on 4K with 4SSAA  it hold 30fps ( vsync unlimited 30HZ in NCP) fly 777 and FSL 320

the only difference i see 512 vs 2048 the gpu usage is sligtly higher in heavy wx senarios

• Like 1

Since the update I have noticed lower GPU usage using 512 DXT5 textures. There were some thunderstorm systems that could peg my GPU at 100% and make my frame rate crawl. So far I haven’t experienced this and I’m running overcast sliders all the way to the right. But as always it depends on specific conditions so I will continue to watch out for performance problems.