Rasterfahnder

REX Sky Force technical update 2.2 available

5 hours ago, timest said:

That is not true. We acknowledged that some 'heavy hitting' cloud models would be corrected, which was performed already. However, we are looking into a more frame friendly solution across the board for cloud models in our Creative Update 1. 

Very true. Same with all texture products. 

Thanks Tim, I stand corrected. However I always have the SF models installed in the sim as I think they give the best variation. If I use SF textures greater than 512 (AS4 wx) I suffer large FPS hits in some heavy wx scenarios. Pausing the sim and switching over to ASCA (which some textures dont look as good) and the FPS get restored? 

I have tried the DXT5 512 SF textures and this problem goes away, but I dont like the blocky square look that low res textures in general provide when up close. 

I am certain others have reported same, and why would the advice be to use lowest resolution when high res are provided anyway?

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

14 hours ago, kand said:

I find that some of the skyforce cloud textures absolutely obliterate my frame rate, from a locked 25 down to 10 in some cases, I own a home cockpit so only use a full outside view also. This on an i7 9700k @4.9 and a 1080ti...

I like SF but dont use it now for this reason, wish there was a way to exclude certain texture sets  

than  there  must be  something  going on with your  set  up  if  your  down  to  10  fps

If I can keep my locked 24 fps pegged at 24 anywhere in anything then with your PC not even drawing a VC like Peter says you have a problem at your end sadly.

1 hour ago, pete_auau said:

than  there  must be  something  going on with your  set  up  if  your  down  to  10  fps

agree, i run EF , SF 2048 clouds , AS, PTA RD1.8 , on 4K with 4SSAA  it hold 30fps ( vsync unlimited 30HZ in NCP) fly 777 and FSL 320

the only difference i see 512 vs 2048 the gpu usage is sligtly higher in heavy wx senarios

• Like 1

Since the update I have noticed lower GPU usage using 512 DXT5 textures. There were some thunderstorm systems that could peg my GPU at 100% and make my frame rate crawl. So far I haven’t experienced this and I’m running overcast sliders all the way to the right. But as always it depends on specific conditions so I will continue to watch out for performance problems.

Maybe it is the 8x MSSA?  Clearly if others are not experiencing this then it must be related to my system or a setting.  But for the record as I have already stated, I dont get this issue using ENVTEX or ASCA <1024 textures, and as soon as I clear the weather the FPS are restored if using SF textures 1024 or greater. I can easily maintain v high FPS in demanding scenery.

Rather than hijack this thread I will do some research and open a thread at REX, many thanks 

5 minutes ago, kand said:

Maybe it is the 8x MSSA? 

It's not that.

Hope you can sort it.