Sign in to follow this  
Jay 737

Piper Aztec PA23-250 (Help Needed)

Hello
I'm in a need of little help from somebody with access to Piper PA23 250 Aztec. 
I've recently acquired an old FNPT2 simulator, build upon this particular model. 
However, after a few tens of hours working on the refurb, I realized that the seating position feels way off from natural. Yokes and the panel are really high up as well as the rudder pedals being set quite far away from the seat.

This build of a full-scale home cockpit is my life long dream so I obviously want to get it right. I would like to verify a few of the dimensions from the real thing if possible.
Unfortunately, there isn't too much information about Aztec on the internet as this kind of aircraft seems to be endangered species nowadays:)

Any help or advice would be very appreciated.
Thank you in advance
Jay    

If a local flight school doesn't have one, post a note explaining your project and what you need on the FBOs bulletin board, 

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals

Try contacting Sportys Pilot shop, a large and prominent aviation supply house and flight training school.  They have a pair of Aztecs and might be able to help you out.

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Thanks guys

It's probably a dumb question but what's "FBO" ?

Also, I forgot to mention, I live in the UK.

Is there any kind of register where I could find and contact the owner himself?

Jay

FBO is Fixed Base Operator or in layman's terms, a service center at airports. They provide many services to pilots and often have flight training also. If anyone would know about an Aztec at the airport, they would. 

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals

Nice work Jay. Some people have a real soft spot for these aircraft.

Piper tends to reuse a lot of parts and their aircraft usually have a pretty similar layout and feel. I would say any of the PA-23s will have the same cockpit dimensions. Later models might have upgraded seats, different windows and yokes.

The PA-23 Apache Geronimo edition is a very cute twin with an impressive climb rate. Geronimo was the last free Apache and a really nice nod to Bill Pipers Native American lineage.

In the UK I would just start ringing around the aeroclubs and flight schools. FBO is more commonly used term in the US.  Ask who still has a PA-23 online for multi engine training. If you strike out there search the CAA register for PA-23s then verify their home field from flightaware and call the nearest workshop asking for who maintains G-XXXX explain your mission and see if they will put you in touch with the owner. If it is a controlled field you should also be able to call the tower as the controllers will likely know most of the call signs off by heart.

I imagine the owner could be very interested to see your sim BTW! You might also find a mothballed one that you can spend all the time you like hanger flying it.

Flightradar24 will also give you alerts for aircraft types when they hit the air if you start paying for it.

Check these links out as well for some local aircraft.

https://abpic.co.uk/pictures/model/Piper PA-23-250 Aztec E

https://abpic.co.uk/pictures/model/Piper PA-23-160 Apache G

HTH

J

Edited by Flows
  • Like 1

As Flows suggests, you can search the CAA register for the UK (use the advanced search option to do that), and if you do that you will find that there are currently 29 Piper Aztecs on the register. There might be more off the register (you can search for that criteria too)

https://siteapps.caa.co.uk/g-info/

You can find who is the registered owner/owners (some will no doubt be shared ownership) and contact the owners to see if they will allow you access to their aeroplane so you can take some measurements. In my experience, most people are happy to show off their pride and joy, but keep in mind that the present Covid 19 epidemic might curtail your ability to visit a location and measure things yourself, so you might have to hope that someone can do this for you of course.

If it is the case that you cannot visit an aeroplane to measure it, nor find anyone who is able to do so for you, there is another possibility although it will cost you a few quid (unless someone is prepared to help you do this), and that is to install the Alabeo Piper Aztec, i.e. this thing:

https://www.alabeo.com/sitealabeo/product/pa23-aztec-f-250-fsx-p3d/

into either the FSX or P3D flight simulator, and from there you could use that to measure distances based upon known sizes of other objects. i.e. if we know the fascia size of the Gamin 100 GPS (2"x6.25"), we can determine other distances from that by making a scale based on the known size of the GPS unit, like this:

9M0cuzW.jpg

Edited by Chock

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here