av8r13

4.5 Hotfix - Very Disappointed

I am usually not a negative person, but i have to say that i am very frustrated right now with this (once) great sim.

i have been with P3D for over 3 years (MSFS since the beginning), i have never had issues when upgrading like i am having with 4.5.

- Upgraded from 4.4 to 4.5 and had the 8 FPS drop that some were reporting (used locked 30 FPS in 4.4, rarely went below 25 FPS)

- Lowered my auto gen settings signicantly and my frames went back to acceptable. was just going to wait for the hotfix to correct the autogen issues.

- Was happy when the hotfix finally came out. installed client,content,scenery as instructed. cleared shaders, deleted old p3d.cfg file

- Installed the latest versions of ActiveSky, REX EF, Black Marble, EZDOC, etc. Installed the latest Nvidia driver (430.64 from May 9)

- Result was an ADDITIONAL 8 FPS drop from the original 4.5. this was with keeping the highly reduced autogen settings. now at 9-13 FPS.

- Ran P3D without REX or AS running to try and isolate, but neither of these programs has an effect either way.

- Also had the issues with PMDG aircraft. cant load them without REX EF running (not even sure how these 2 things are connected)

I am not a FPS chaser, but obviously 8-15 FPS is unplayable. Would love to hear any suggestions. otherwise its off to DCS for the next several months.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

If 4.4 worked well for you, why not revert back to that?  What's compelling you to use 4.5 HF1 and suffer the problems you're describing?

6 minutes ago, w6kd said:

If 4.4 worked well for you, why not revert back to that?  What's compelling you to use 4.5 HF1 and suffer the problems you're describing?

Try simply uninstalling the 4.5. Client, and installing the 4.4. Client.

That should get you back to where you were (at least close enough to test..)

• Like 1

that is what i am going to do.

the disappointment is that i liked the night time environment improvements in 4.5

For your PMDG + EF problems, see https://www.realenvironmentxtreme.com/forums/index.php?/topic/51725-black-screen-with-pmdg-planes/

Did you have EF installed before upgrading from 4.4?  It seems clear that, at least in the case of PMDG planes, there's some unhappy interaction between the EF dll and the PMDG panel code...some of the traffic suggests it has to do with debug mode in EF, but I'm wondering if a runtime library somehow got changed.  And then there's the nagging question of whether your slowdowns are related to this as well--make sure in your testing that when running without a particular add-on you also disable any dlls associated with it that are loaded via the dll.xml or add-ons.cfg files (two of each).

Anyway, if reversion to 4.4 doesn't fix the problems, I'd look hard at anything installed after you moved off of 4.4

Regards

Posted (edited)

Dear @av8r13 from your update procedure it is not clear which version of p3d 4.5 did you test. The first 4.5 release (4.5.11) had indeed some issues regarding the performance. These issues were resolved in the release of the 4.5 hotfix (4.5.12).

The PMDG will work if you turn off logging in REX EF GUI (it's a setting).

Edited by GEKtheReaper

Just shows you that all PCs are not created equal.

With the HF installed my FPS on " normal" scenery (non- payware airports) is around 25-30 with stock planes.

With PMDG and payware (EGLL for instance) it was at about 10 -16, and now is around 15 - 23.

Yes, I have lowered sliders a bit but I think the improved scenery rendering in the latest version more than makes up for it.

PS the EF logging setting has to be accessed from the MANUAL screen.

Something is odd in your environment, verify if you have disabled hardware acceleration via registry key.

If you have it disabled, then enable it again, this is necessary for 4.5.12 to work at high performance. And for the record we need more information to understand why you are having problems, which includes your full system specs, etc.

Regards 

Simbol 

• Like 1

@av8r13, it's baffling why you should have so many problems. As it was a point update I only updated the client, not the whole package.

I didn't delete my prepar3d.cfg or make any other changes except deleting the contents of the shaders folder.

I performed a slewing test (before and after the update) over Central London westward to Heathrow which takes 6 minutes and I take the min, max and average fps from the fsuipc5.log. That makes it objective, not subjective.

No change in fps at all. A 20% improvement in loading times for a chosen scenario. Full details here.  As others have suggested try reinstalling just the 4.4 client.

Posted (edited)

I did a painstaking full, fresh install of 4.5. Installing one thing at a time and opening closing P3D every time. wiped ASP4, DL the last full build and patch, SF new full build+patch and new full DL of EF.

Just as I had finished all the airports. FSL timing was great so DL FSL and all liveries cabins etc.

In 4.4 on my test spot for FPS, the FSL was 52 FPS.

In 4.5 same test.............................................wait for it..............................................................................52 FPS

The only thing I did note was the FSL seemed very stable with FPS fluctuating only from 49-52. 

I only run unlimited to test FPS I run with FPS locked at 24 and FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=0.10

Edited by Nyxx
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, simbol said:

Something is odd in your environment, verify if you have disabled hardware acceleration via registry key.

If you have it disabled, then enable it again, this is necessary for 4.5.12 to work at high performance. And for the record we need more information to understand why you are having problems, which includes your full system specs, etc.

Regards 

Simbol 

Where do i find that in my registry? I looked but did not see it ?

Sorry, did a search, I believe im good on all counts.

Thanks,

Ed

Edited by Ed_S_Pilot

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, av8r13 said:

I am usually not a negative person, but i have to say that i am very frustrated right now with this (once) great sim.

i have been with P3D for over 3 years (MSFS since the beginning), i have never had issues when upgrading like i am having with 4.5.

- Upgraded from 4.4 to 4.5 and had the 8 FPS drop that some were reporting (used locked 30 FPS in 4.4, rarely went below 25 FPS)

- Lowered my auto gen settings signicantly and my frames went back to acceptable. was just going to wait for the hotfix to correct the autogen issues.

- Was happy when the hotfix finally came out. installed client,content,scenery as instructed. cleared shaders, deleted old p3d.cfg file

- Installed the latest versions of ActiveSky, REX EF, Black Marble, EZDOC, etc. Installed the latest Nvidia driver (430.64 from May 9)

- Result was an ADDITIONAL 8 FPS drop from the original 4.5. this was with keeping the highly reduced autogen settings. now at 9-13 FPS.

- Ran P3D without REX or AS running to try and isolate, but neither of these programs has an effect either way.

- Also had the issues with PMDG aircraft. cant load them without REX EF running (not even sure how these 2 things are connected)

I am not a FPS chaser, but obviously 8-15 FPS is unplayable. Would love to hear any suggestions. otherwise its off to DCS for the next several months.

I had some challanges with installing and using BM Vector and Light products (Excl. Night Environment). Are they installed correctly? IN my case the scenrey.cfg got messed up. Mayby it is worth to check it out. Try /deactivate (or even uninstalling if necessary) them and test again also could isolate the problem. Best regards Marcus

Edited by mpo910

3 hours ago, Nyxx said:

I only run unlimited to test FPS I run with FPS locked at 24 and FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=0.10

could you recommend a fiber setting for 

30hertz

vsync on

tb on 

frames set to unlimted.

thanks 

20 minutes ago, tooting said:

30hertz

vsync on

tb on 

frames set to unlimted.

thanks 

You don't need one with FPS set to unlimited Pete. Unlimited = Fiber set to 0.01 or some say 0.10. 

IMO you add one when you lock FPS within the sim as the Fiber makes P3D run the same as if you had FPS set to unlimited. If you don't add it with FPS locked within the sim, you will not see it put the sim works with one set to .033 = 33% of every second is dedicated to loading textures. Hence why people go from unlimited to locked they said, I lost my FPS!

What I would do is uninstall everything and then start from there.  I have found that if one of your add-on is not up to date, it can be a problem.  Nowadays we have so much addon we can’t track them all.  I would also delete the shaders as well. 

I hope this help.  

David

3 hours ago, Ed_S_Pilot said:

Where do i find that in my registry? I looked but did not see it ?

Sorry, did a search, I believe im good on all counts.

Thanks,

Ed

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/framework/wpf/graphics-multimedia/graphics-rendering-registry-settings

You can find the information in the link above.

We still don't know your hardware and settings used for P3D.

Regards 

Simbol 

3 hours ago, tooting said:

30hertz

vsync on

tb on 

frames set to unlimted.

thanks 

Start with what Nyxx wrote. If you see blurries when flying you might try FFTF Dynamic :

Use AGL

0 ft = 0.01 

5000 ft = 0.25

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

@av8r13

I didn't delete my prepar3d.cfg or make any other changes except deleting the contents of the shaders folder

Word of warning about not deleting your .cfg

For weeks I had a problem with 4.5 where P3D lost windows focus. Sometimes I could interact with the app through the mouse, other times I couldn't.

After trying loads of things, I decided to generate a fresh .cfg but save my old one so I could keep my custom mods.

It transpired that some of the (graphics) statements had changed from true/false to 0/1. A new cfg solved the issues

My p3d.cfg had become an iteration of triggers broom! 

Just saying 

Edited by kand

@kand, everyone has different configurations. I had a flight this morning and everything was fine with my original cfg.

3 hours ago, Nyxx said:

You don't need one with FPS set to unlimited Pete. Unlimited = Fiber set to 0.01 or some say 0.10. 

IMO you add one when you lock FPS within the sim as the Fiber makes P3D run the same as if you had FPS set to unlimited. If you don't add it with FPS locked within the sim, you will not see it put the sim works with one set to .033 = 33% of every second is dedicated to loading textures. Hence why people go from unlimited to locked they said, I lost my FPS!

44 minutes ago, GSalden said:

Start with what Nyxx wrote. If you see blurries when flying you might try FFTF Dynamic :

Use AGL

0 ft = 0.01 

5000 ft = 0.25

Thank you very much 

14 hours ago, av8r13 said:

- Was happy when the hotfix finally came out. installed client,content,scenery as instructed

As instructed by Elaine Dixon / poppet @ LM - the recommended procedure is to uninstall client (answering "no" when asked if you want to deactivate license), reinstall client. Uninstall content, reinstall content.  Uninstall scenery, reinstall scenery.   I assume you did that, but just in case you did not I thought I'd mention it.

I'm not sure what the results would be if one simply installed client, content, scenery without uninstalling first.  It might work fine, if so, good for you.  I am simply pointing out their "recommended" procedure.

2 hours ago, simbol said:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/framework/wpf/graphics-multimedia/graphics-rendering-registry-settings

You can find the information in the link above.

We still don't know your hardware and settings used for P3D.

Regards 

Simbol 

Thanks for all your help in these forums! I have updated to v4.5 (Client only), deleted and rebuilt shaders etc. and I am more than happy with the results. Just a curious question though, I checked my registry for the this entry:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Avalon.Graphics\DisableHWAcceleration

It does not exist in my registry, Do I need to add it?

Regards,

Tom

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Nyxx said:

I did a painstaking full, fresh install of 4.5

Ha, Dave, I have been resistant to install 4.5 and I'm staying on 4.4 like you did.
But I can see you have finally jumped over. Do you personally think it is WORTH it? Have you noticed advantages of being on 4.5 yet?
I fly FSL A320 only at present, if that matters, and 4.4 works fine for me, so I am really curious about your impressions.

Edited by Rafal

5 minutes ago, Rafal said:

Ha, Dave, I have been resistant to install 4.5 and I'm staying on 4.4 like you did.
But I can see you have finally jumped over. Do you personally think it is WORTH it? Have you noticed advantages of being on 4.5 yet?
I fly FSL A320 only at present, if that matters, and 4.4 works fine for me, so I am really curious about your impressions.

Not done a flight yet Rafal. I did notice how stable FSL was in FPS just stayed within 2-3 fps (49-52) in a static test normally that would be 41-51 when not moving.

Can I see anything else? No. I was sort of made into a new install. I don't think there is a good reason to FPS are the same. 

The only reason I could give is everything is updated to 4.5 so everything has changed and we will never know what effect they might or might not have on older versions. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, TomCYYZ said:

Thanks for all your help in these forums! I have updated to v4.5 (Client only), deleted and rebuilt shaders etc. and I am more than happy with the results. Just a curious question though, I checked my registry for the this entry:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Avalon.Graphics\DisableHWAcceleration

It does not exist in my registry, Do I need to add it?

No!!  If it's not there, good.  If it IS there, it should be set to 0.

Regards