Sign in to follow this  
flynman33

Moving to an SSD

Last night I installed my SSD. I then downloaded P3dv4.5 and tried to install it to my SSD which I have labeled my E/Drive. I pointed the P3d install to the e/drive and commenced the install. It did not install to the SSD but did a sort of repair to the current P3d on C/drive. I now understand that I cannot have 2 versions of P3d on the same drive.

So if I were to remove the Client/Content/Scenery installers off my C/drive along with my 3rd Party aircraft. Could I leave my 3rd party scenery files on the c/drive and then map them through the scenery library to the ssd and still get fast loading times. Is there anything on the P3d Forums about this.

How would you move P3d to a SSD if it was you. I want the SSD to be a dedicated P3d Drive...

Intel I7 6700 4.0 CPU Western Digital Caviar 1TB SATA 6.0Gb/s Hard Drive  16GB DDR4 Crucial RAM. Corsair 750 Watt PSU.

EVGA NVIDIA GTX1080 FTW GPU

only xp11 allows multiple installations, p34 nope....i think you just messed up many things regarding your first p3d install on C

Edited by Arthur42417

1 minute ago, Arthur42417 said:

only xp11 allows multiple installations, p34 nope....i think you just messed up many things regarding your first p3d install on 😄😄

So how do I resolve this?

Intel I7 6700 4.0 CPU Western Digital Caviar 1TB SATA 6.0Gb/s Hard Drive  16GB DDR4 Crucial RAM. Corsair 750 Watt PSU.

Your best bet is to uninstall P3D from the C drive and reinstall to E;  Depending on how your addon scenery was installed you should have no real issues just mapping in the scenery library. It really depends on the scenery, if they have registry entries that point to the old location, you'd have to modify those. Maybe a simple reinstall. 

I'd say try it without reinstalling your addon scenery first but knowing that if it doesn't work you will have to reinstall.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

7 minutes ago, vgbaron said:

Your best bet is to uninstall P3D from the C drive and reinstall to E;  Depending on how your addon scenery was installed you should have no real issues just mapping in the scenery library. It really depends on the scenery, if they have registry entries that point to the old location, you'd have to modify those. Maybe a simple reinstall. 

I'd say try it without reinstalling your addon scenery first but knowing that if it doesn't work you will have to reinstall.

Vic

I will keep the scenery files in tact and see if I can map them successfully  throught the scenery library. I am though going to delete my 3rd party aircraft and reinstall them to the new ssd.

I gather I will need to keep my C/Program Files/LM/P3d folder and not delete it until I know what I can do.

3 hours ago, flynman33 said:

So how do I resolve this?

Before you uninstall/delete anything... try this:

1. Copy the entire Program Files/LM/Prepar3d folder to your SSD.

2. Go to your SSD and locate the Prepar3d.exe file and start it up.

3. Then decide what else needs to change..

4. Do not delete the original copy until you are completely happy

Edited by Bert Pieke
  • Like 1

Bert

I would also make a separate complete backup just in case......

Gigabyte x670 Aorus Elite AX MB; AMD 7800X3D CPU; Deepcool LT520 AIO Cooler; 64 Gb G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 6000; Win11 Pro; P3D V5.4; 1 Samsung 990 2Tb NVMe SSD: 1 Crucial 4Tb MX500 SATA SSD; 1 Samsung 860 1Tb SSD; Gigabyte Aorus Extreme 1080ti 11Gb VRAM; Toshiba 43" LED TV @ 4k; Honeycomb Bravo.

The main point to consider is.... you used the word delete too many times.

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700F CPU @ 2.90GHz (8 cores) Hyper on, Evga RTX 3060 12 Gig, 32 GB ram, Windows 11, P3D v6, and MSFS 2020 and a couple of SSD's