Sign in to follow this  
Guest tdragger

Mountain shadows and 3D objects lighting in FSX...

Guest aqui

Hi all!I noticed that in FS9 all objects like buldings, trees, etc, have the same sun lighting even if they are placed on the shadow of a mountain.Some FSX screenshots show that the lighting problem isn't correct yet.Will FSX (final version) correct this lighting problem to the 3D objects? Best Regards,AQUI

Guest JSPuonti

Probably not, as I believe the shadows cast by ground features are still the same as in FS9 - sort of like "textures" which are generated every X minutes and applied on top of the scenery texture.Shadows cast by buildings, vehicles and aircraft work differently - they are a flat real-time projection of the aircraft's outline done with polygons, which is placed on top of the ground mesh. I'm not a programmer, but I imagine trying to achieve what you are suggesting can't be done (easily?) when the engine uses two completely different methods for creating shadows.It's a bit like if you draw a shadow on a piece of paper - every time the sun changes it's position sufficiently, you have to take a new paper and re-draw the shadow. In the meanwhile, any object passing between the paper and the sun will cast its own real shadow on top of the one you have drawn - the two simply can't mix and exclude one another.

Guest aqui

I think that the problem could be resolved by calculate what are the 3D objects below the mountain shadows and then decrease the luminosity of these objects. Basically, all the objects that stands up to a "shadow texture" must be rendered with low light.Aqui

Guest JSPuonti

Ahhh wait, I misunderstood your original post and ended up talking about a completely different issue :D Now that I know what you really meant, I can say ... that I have no input on the real subject, unfortunately :(

Guest tcable

recall that we're not seeing the final builds yet- but Alphas.It could change, but it depends on where the priorities are.Having been involved in fs betas (just not this one), there is a lot that happens at the very end.Tim

Guest tdragger

I think Adam is still working on lighting issues.