Sign in to follow this  
JLuis

Ultra Weather XP or X-Vision?

Hi! Guys,

I have Active Sky XP and I pretend to buy one those addons Ultra Weather XP or X-Vision? What is real important to visual improve? Do I need to buy both?

Thanks,

José Luís

| Flightsimulator: MSFS | Add-Ons: | PMDG Douglas DC-6 | PMDG 737-700 | Fenix A320 | Maddog X MD82| FSW CESSNA 414AW CHANCELLOR |

Can suggest XVision 100% , the other two i don't have.

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

46 minutes ago, JLuis said:

Hi! Guys,

I have Active Sky XP and I pretend to buy one those addons Ultra Weather XP or X-Vision? What is real important to visual improve? Do I need to buy both?

Thanks,

X-Vision

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

Since you already have a cloudmaker, you need XVision for pretty.

Thanks, Guy for all comments. X-Vision wins.😃

José Luís

| Flightsimulator: MSFS | Add-Ons: | PMDG Douglas DC-6 | PMDG 737-700 | Fenix A320 | Maddog X MD82| FSW CESSNA 414AW CHANCELLOR |

On 5/25/2019 at 6:33 AM, JLuis said:

Thanks, Guy for all comments. X-Vision wins.😃

Please advise how it works out.

I would like to purchase XVision but there a warning message saying " Some functionality of xVision (shader tweaks) may be broken with next X-Plane releases."

With X-Plane always revising and with the coming of vulkan this may stop working.

46 minutes ago, michelh said:

I would like to purchase XVision but there a warning message saying " Some functionality of xVision (shader tweaks) may be broken with next X-Plane releases."

With X-Plane always revising and with the coming of vulkan this may stop working.

Ben Supnik has warned about this in the past, saying that they only decided to continue exposing the art controls and shader settings in XP as a "hack" for users to have fun with. Many people complained when the settings were removed in one previous version, so Ben reluctantly restored them with that understanding.

He warned add-on developers about products that use those settings, saying (paraphrasing) that they'd better be prepared to handle support issues arising from any changes. Or in the case of this X-Vision disclaimer I guess, just abdicate responsibility. Here's one post where he explains the official Laminar position on this:

https://developer.x-plane.com/2018/08/art-controls-are-for-hacking/

This doesn't mean you shouldn't experiment yourself, or try plugins that depend on access to those settings. But it's definitely buyer beware for payware plugins. Read that link above, and go in with your eyes open.

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

12 hours ago, Paraffin said:

Ben Supnik has warned about this in the past, saying that they only decided to continue exposing the art controls and shader settings in XP as a "hack" for users to have fun with. Many people complained when the settings were removed in one previous version, so Ben reluctantly restored them with that understanding.

He warned add-on developers about products that use those settings, saying (paraphrasing) that they'd better be prepared to handle support issues arising from any changes. Or in the case of this X-Vision disclaimer I guess, just abdicate responsibility. Here's one post where he explains the official Laminar position on this:

https://developer.x-plane.com/2018/08/art-controls-are-for-hacking/

This doesn't mean you shouldn't experiment yourself, or try plugins that depend on access to those settings. But it's definitely buyer beware for payware plugins. Read that link above, and go in with your eyes open.

Thanks for the info. I will wait and see, I cannot justify paying $29.02  for a plugin that may or may not work in  the future.

57 minutes ago, michelh said:

Thanks for the info. I will wait and see, I cannot justify paying $29.02  for a plugin that may or may not work in  the future.

$29 for Xvision ? I am sure that i paid 18 USD for it.

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

Word is the Russian designer of XVision is in the loop with Laminar and ready whenever they are.

13 hours ago, HumptyDumpty said:

$29 for Xvision ? I am sure that i paid 18 USD for it.

Yes $29.00 Canadian with the exchange rates.