Sign in to follow this  
threexgreen

MA RealTurb North America

Hmm, this software is a bit dubious to me.

1) There is no handbook. At least I could not find one.

2) No uninstall option. This really makes it hard to compare.

3) The developer has a Facebook page, that's it. They released addons before and stated all effects had to be hand placed so bigger regions are not possible. All of a sudden some weeks later they got the technology to auto process large areas.

I like the idea of the product and if it realy does what it promises it should be worth the price for GA and Bushflying. I believe it does the job but could not test it because I don't know how to disable it. I checked the debugging menu in AS4 and it seems to let AS4 generate thermals more frequently above ridges for example and it feels good. Also it does not just generate turbulences. If anyone knows more about realturb, please share your knowledge.

Conclusion at the moment: I am not sure about the benefits because it can be just imagination on my site.

• Like 1

MCE_banner_272_68.jpg

Okay found the option to disable it in the addons menu. Also the handbook is to be found in the addons folder. Thats good to know and I like it. Next step is the test with and without Realturb. I am curious. Last flight I had some nice turbulences at Seattle right behind the sky scrapers. With the wind from the sea that is fantastic and some thing AS4 does not account for. Fingers crossed. 😋

Edited by Rasterfahnder

MCE_banner_272_68.jpg

FsGlobal weather had a feature for localised wx effects. 

What gets installed in the Sims folder with this addon? Is it a scenery area or is this some kind of DLL which reads sim data and then manipulates the handling?

19 minutes ago, kand said:

FsGlobal weather had a feature for localised wx effects. 

What gets installed in the Sims folder with this addon? Is it a scenery area or is this some kind of DLL which reads sim data and then manipulates the handling?

it is a DLL loaded via Add-on (check add-ons options in P3D)

• Upvote 1

On 5/25/2019 at 8:22 PM, Sethos1988 said:

That's why you need someone with real knowledge of this stuff to give it a look.

Sethos was right, it seems to be a money grab. Would be nice to have a reaction from the devs. How can a .dll with out any sign of terrain data have such influence on the region? Where is that analyzed data? Until there are some answers from sombody with more knwoledge about such things I would not recommend it. It changes the behavior of the plane. But for the better or worse I cant tell. I hope I am wrong but for now I uninstalled it. 

• Upvote 2

MCE_banner_272_68.jpg

I'm not sure what everyone is concerned about.  It added some nice features over the rockies that AS didn't.  Not sure I would call it a money grab.  It doesn't do much more, but I like it

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Rasterfahnder said:

it seems to be a money grab

It is a fantastic addon. It does not do what ASP4 does, it adds to it.

For example. North West winds on a gusty approach over Cook Strait approaching R34 at NZWN. What Real Turb does, is give you those weird and wonderful weather effects that are unique to the area you are flying into.

Have not regretted my purchase one bit.

• Like 2

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

@ZKOKQ

Nice, glad you like it. By any chance can you share time and date of that approach? When I tested it I had the AS4 debugging monitor open and could not detect any added effect that was not generated by AS and then altered by RealTurb. It sure felt different. I did just four test flights over the Rockies in the A2A C182. I can be wrong. If it was called AS4-enhancement tool or such great. But they claim to add effects to every hill and mountain. I just did not have that. Would be nice to test it further.

Edited by Rasterfahnder

MCE_banner_272_68.jpg

To throw my 2 cents into this - I purchased the Oceania pack and sent the Developer an email regarding it's integration with Active Sky and Chaseplane.

Quote response - "Chaseplane is a matter of taste since it's only cockpit effects and not actual turbulence on the aircraft. It should work fine together with RealTurb if you use your favorite settings. Regarding ActiveSky, it doesn't matter what settings you use because when RealTurb is in control it will induce the required effects after any ActiveSky settings. This is to ensure that effects reach the user as intended and not as random results based on settings. In other words ActiveSky settings will still affect all other aspects of the sim as they did before but not RealTurb effects."

I have had mixed results with the Oceania pack. I flew into NZWN @ 16 gusting 25kts and noticed enhanced effects from mountains. I then flew to NZMF (Milford Sound) with 30 kts and would have expected quite a severe @## kicking, but it didn't eventuate. 

Make of this information as you will.

Cheers.

• Like 2

Murray Dreyer

14 hours ago, Rasterfahnder said:

How can a .dll with out any sign of terrain data have such influence on the region? Where is that analyzed data?

The program could use the SimConnect API to read the elevation data from the sim using "RequestGroundInfoOnSimObject" plus the relevant weather data with "WeatherRequestObservationAtNearestStation". The real trick would be the algorithm that combines the information and calculates the turbluence, then either shakes your aircraft directly or creates thermal zones for you to fly through that have the same effect. But an app like that probably wouldn't be region specific, it works everywhere. IIRC CumulusX laid the groundwork for this type of addon. If you are interested in how this works, I think that the author of Cumulus X posted all his initial research online - but that must have been almost 10 years ago.

Best regards

Edited by Lorby_SI
  • Like 2

LORBY-SI

1 hour ago, Rasterfahnder said:

@ZKOKQ

Nice, glad you like it. By any chance can you share time and date of that approach? When I tested it I had the AS4 debugging monitor open and could not detect any added effect that was not generated by AS and then altered by RealTurb. It sure felt different. I did just four test flights over the Rockies in the A2A C182. I can be wrong. If it was called AS4-enhancement tool or such great. But they claim to add effects to every hill and mountain. I just did not have that. Would be nice to test it further.

It was about a week ago, not sure date. But it is a common weather pattern in Wellington, be hard to find a day it does not have severe gusts.

Just so you know, I am also using Ezydok V3 with AS intergration.

• Like 1

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

10 minutes ago, ZKOKQ said:

Ezydok V3 with AS

Me too 😃 thx for the reply. Btw. ezdoc 3 with the AS4 integration is just awesome. And it is global.  If someone is looking for more challenging turbulences and effects. Get it first.

@Lorby_SI

Thanks for the insight Sir.

MCE_banner_272_68.jpg

7 minutes ago, Rasterfahnder said:

Btw. ezdoc 3 with the AS4 integration is just awesome

Yes sir, quite agree. It is so realistic.

Hi all,

In an attempt to clear up some confusion for the RealTurb products here are some facts/details of how it works and the demo plans.

First of all, RealTurb is not only about turbulence. If it was only about turbulence it would have been much easier to do a global version in the first place. It will also add realistic speed fluctuations, wind shiftings and wind shears! Wind shiftings and windshears are all done by hand in order to achieve a more realistic result (depending also on the area/terrain/distance to terrain/wind direction vs direction to terrain etc) and considering that most of the speed fluctuations come from the wind shiftings due to terrain, indirectly, speed fluctuations are also done by hand.

Also keep in mind that 40kts of wind might be completely smooth coming from flat area or from the sea, and 15kts could even cause a windshear due to terrain proximity and wind blowing from that direction arriving at the aircraft with a lot of disturbance.

At this point, we would like to thank once more the ActiveSky guys for helping/allowing RealTurb communication with ActiveSky in order to achieve these results. Without their help RealTurb effects would have been very much limited. 

It doesn't make sense to go any deeper on this as what follows will be more useful for you to judge.

And as a final point before moving to the demo plans is the following:

The following 2 videos are both with real weather at LDDU on 12th March 2019. In that day in real life many flights were cancelled or diverted due to strong winds at the airport.

Also note for "Video 2" when comparing the same approach/wx with and without RealTurb, that in both cases ActiveSky is running and supplying the weather.

Note:

1) Speed fluctuations on PFD speed tape

2) Wind shiftings on ND

3) Turbulence effects also translated on vertical speed

4) Speed and wind during the windshear encounter (Video 1) 

Video 1

Video 2

And now regarding the demo plans. RealTurb Antarctica is also in developement in parallel to the rest of the projects and is planned to be released in the next few days for FREE, giving the chance for everyone to test how RealTurb effects work so that everyone can have a personal opinion!

Once released will be anounced in the facebook page www.facebook.com/RealTurb

Regards,

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

RealTurb,  Thank you for posting this very informative explanation of where you are and where you are headed with your package. This should help our members make a more educated choice.

• Like 1

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals