Sign in to follow this  
bigalrose

How to request a specific runway?

Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere but, with 69 "pages" of threads, and my inability to locate and use an intuitive search engine for this forum, I feel compelled to submit this thread.

I am running VoxATC  for P3Dv4, under windows 10.

I am flying out of airport with 2 parallel runways (i.e. 32L & 32R).

When I get the atis for the airport,  I find that 32R is used to departures, and 32l is used for landing traffic.

I request touch and go pattern, and am cleared for takeoff.

The tower tells me I am #1 to land and, when I continue the pattern to rwy 32L and turn onto final, the tower then tells me I'm cleared to land on 32R.

How can I get VoxATC to understand the concept of a different runway for landings, from the departure runway?

Thanks

Al Rosenberg

WWW.CVW-2.ORG

What airport? I'm assuming that it is a third party version and that you've checked out the runway settings with Airport Design Editor. Many 3rd party airports focus on eye candy and often the airport geometry is not exactly like the real world.

On 5/25/2019 at 4:34 AM, jabloomf1230 said:

and often the airport geometry is not exactly like the real world.

so true ...... that aside, i've found vox atis / ai control / aircraft direction to respect the "geometry" of runway use of addons much better than the default's though at KDEN where i have both 16L/34R and 17L/35R set for landing only, the paralells for departure, i have had approach clear to 34R but subsequently tower clear to 35R.

but that's different to Al's experience. the only note i can offer is vox often in light winds will list all runways as options to the correctly cleared irrespective of the afcad's geometry.

for now, cheers

john martin

On 5/24/2019 at 1:34 PM, jabloomf1230 said:

What airport? I'm assuming that it is a third party version and that you've checked out the runway settings with Airport Design Editor. Many 3rd party airports focus on eye candy and often the airport geometry is not exactly like the real world.

The airport is Lemoore NAS (KNLC).  I have checked the airport and the runways are 14L/32R and 14R/32L.  Normal RW operations are departures on 32R & arrivals on 32L.  When I listen to the ATIS, it tells me "departing on 32R, Landing on 32L".  VoxATC just doesn't seem to "get it".

I'm away from my flightsim computer ATM but I'll check out the default KNLC on Tuesday.

On 5/26/2019 at 3:03 PM, bigalrose said:

The airport is Lemoore NAS (KNLC).  I have checked the airport and the runways are 14L/32R and 14R/32L.  Normal RW operations are departures on 32R & arrivals on 32L.  When I listen to the ATIS, it tells me "departing on 32R, Landing on 32L".  VoxATC just doesn't seem to "get it".

You must be using a third party version of KNLC, because the stock version has both runways available for both takeoffs and landings. Also, do you use either fsaerodata or a freeware equivalent that updates navaids, approaches, departures, waypoints, etc.?

if you are not using MAIW Matrix, I would suggest that you consider it as an option. It automatically installs all military AI aircraft and major airbase scenery for each region of the world:

https://militaryaiworks.com/briefing-room/matrix-release

The MAIW version of KNLC is set up properly to match the real world runways. I will test VOXATC's touch and go logic with the MAIW version of KNLC tomorrow.

I am using MATRIX runway (AFCAD?) and it does use both.

When I play the atis, it says departing on 32R, and LANDING on 32L.

VoxATC clears me into the pattern after departing 32R.  I then proceed North and turn left to enter downwind for 32L.  

I report "downwind" on 32L and VoxATC clears me to land on 32R.

I perform touch and go, and continue to fly left-hand patterns for 32L.

Each time VoxATC clears me to land on 32R.

I think it knows what's going on.  It's just vocalizing the wrong runway.

Thanks for all your help.

This really seems like a good product.

regards

Al

5 hours ago, bigalrose said:

I think it knows what's going on.  It's just vocalizing the wrong runway.

Nah, It's probably a bug. VOXATC is quite realistic for IFR flightplans. VFR flight seem to be something that hasn't gotten a lot of attention from the developer. I suspect that he thinks that circuits are always flown by GA aircraft at small airports without parallel runways closed to landing. That is somewhat of an extreme case, you must admit. :wink: If I can figure out a workaround, I will let you know. One other thing that you might want to check is to make sure that you don't have multiple versions of KNLC active in your scenery library. Add-ons like ORBX Vector, ORBX Regions, ORBX freeware airports and My Traffic 6 are notorious for adding versions of airports that mess up other 3rd party airports. Download the freeware Little NavMap:

https://albar965.github.io/littlenavmap.html

It will tell you what files are actually being used for KNLC.

In the interim, send the developer an email via the VOXATC contract page on their website. You probably won't get a response, but the developer is pretty good about eventually addressing bugs.

I just remembered that when I installed the MAIW Matrix version of KNLC, I had to disable the version of KNLC in the ORBX Southern California full region (SCA). I don't know if you have that add-on installed but the ORBX version also has all runways open for takeoff and landing, just like the default KNLC.

Thanks very much.  I don't use ORBX, but I will check using LittleNavMap to check the loading of AFCAD's.

It has to be something simple.

Regards

Al