Sign in to follow this  
Guest JSPuonti

FSX Water patterns

Guest Andre_Hedegaard

As seen by the following screenshot, I noticed that the water visuals are repeating textures.I was wondering how hard it is to code water textures that don't repeat?Would it be difficult to create pylons of vertices and then attatching a set of randomized images from the database of say 10-20 images onto those vertices, so that there is no repetition?Or is this screenshot water repetition due to the sun?Other than that, the water textures are great, it'll be a pleasure to sit in the Grumman with the engines off and just relax :)http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/147098.jpg

Your right!Looks quite repetitiv like in the old FS versions. It would really be great, if that could be kinda randomized, because those repeating textures look even worse when animated in the same "frquency". When there are bigger changes in reflection while animation, the water could even start to "blink".On the other hand, blinking water could be some kind of "warning" in the sense of:"If you want to land here, think twice about it!" :-roll Greetings: DocNobby

Guest JSPuonti

I don't mind a repetitive water texture if the shaders used to bring the water alive do their job. We all probably know the way FS9's water animation repeats itself, cycling between a "no waves" state and a "nothing but waves" state.If you take a screenshot of an ocean in the "no waves" part of the cycle you get a really bland-looking body of water, while a snapshot of the "nothing but waves" part looks rather nice.Unfortunately animating between these two states looks very repetitive and it's VERY easy to spot the "loop". I hope FSX's water won't suffer from this, but instead the wave shaders animate in a non-uniform manner ("not all waves going through the same cycle at the same time").The videos I've seen thus far haven't been high enough quality and stationary enough to show how the water animates. Let's hope the E3 videos will have scenes where the camera stays still and shows a body of water.