Sign in to follow this  
HiFlyer

Oculus Rift S Prescription Lens installation

Armed with experience form the CV1, I knew I would need some prescription inserts, and I ordered them (from Widmo) the same day I ordered the Rift S.

It worked out perfectly, and the lenses arrived almost a month later from Poland...... On the same days as my new Rift arrived.

Installation was quick... Once I stopped scratching my head and figured out I had to pry away part of the Rift S lens assembly.

And yes, they work great!

https://widmovr.com/product/rift-s-prescription-lens-adapters/

https://vroptician.com/prescription-lens-inserts/oculus-rift-s/

• Upvote 1

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Any chance my previous-gen Oculus Rift lenses will work in the Rift S? Or is the design too different?

30 minutes ago, dmaas said:

Any chance my previous-gen Oculus Rift lenses will work in the Rift S? Or is the design too different?

Design is completely different. Matches that of the Oculus Go.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

is the Oculus Rift S better than HP Reverb (overall)?

Ali A.

MSFS on PC: I9-13900KS | ASUS ROG STRIX Z790 MB | 32GB DDR5/7200MHz RAM | ASUS TUF RTX4090 OCE | 1TB M.2 Samsung 990 Pro (Windows) +2TB Samsung 990 Pro for MSFS + 2TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD for DATA | EK-Nucleus AIO CR360 Lux D-RGB CPU cooler.

HP Reverb G2 VR (occasional use) | Samsung G9 49" Curved Monitor | Tobii Eye tracker 5 | Logitech sound system 7.1 | VIRPIL Controls (Joystick + thrust levers + rudder pedals) | Windows 11 Pro.

2 hours ago, penta_a said:

is the Oculus Rift S better than HP Reverb (overall)?

The answer that is going to depend on the individual. The Reverb comes with an essentially unbeatable resolution bump compared to the Oculus s, on the other hand controller tracking, battery life, compatibility and other issues including price will complicate any decision as to which headset to buy.

Devons rig

Just out of curiosity:

Why don't you guys just use the rift with your glasses on? I tried that at a friends and it works fine.

3 hours ago, Farlis said:

Just out of curiosity:

Why don't you guys just use the rift with your glasses on? I tried that at a friends and it works fine.

Because, at least with the CV1, you had a high probability of eventually ending up with scratched lenses both on your glasses and the Rift.

Beyond that, wedging glasses into the original CV1 was kind of a painstaking process that precluded you yanking off the headset to go do other things (like answer the phone) because you didn't want to go through the borderline annoying process of wedging your glasses back in there again......

Devons rig

While it is certainly possible to use a Rift with eyeglasses, it’s far from ideal. Putting it on, I have to keep fidgeting with the exact placement of the glasses & headgear to get the optics lined up “just so”, with good sharpness over the whole field of view. Then within 15 minutes something always slips and I get blurry vision in one eye until I fix it again. And within an hour I’ve got a painful pinch on the nose or ear from the eyeglass frames being jammed up against my face.

The prescription inserts fix all this. Slap on the headgear, bam, perfect image every time.

Edited by dmaas

Another improvement with Widmo/vroptician lenses is the lack of your glasses frame being seen. I wear large sunglasses but thin (top to bottom ) regular glasses and I would see the edge of my frames in VR before I got my lenses.

PC=9700K@5Ghz+RTX2070  VR=HP Reverb|   Software = Windows 10 | Flight SIms = P3D, CAP2, DCS World, IL-2,  Aerofly FS2