Hello,

Just purchased this card, and thinking about the install process. I currently have a stable system with my 1060 6GB w 388.13 drivers. I like to change only 1 aspect of the system at a time to minimize possible issues and help chase problems, if necessary.

Thoughts.... would it be better to upgrade the drivers first, and then ensure the system is stable with the new drivers,  before putting in the new card

or

install the new card first, while keeping the drivers at 388.13.

Hoping to heats others’ preferences & experiences.

Mike

I've never tried that, but then again, my card upgrades tended to be leaps across more than two generations of video cards.  Whenever I install a new card, I first remove all of the current video card drivers, shut down, install the new card, then install the drivers that came with the card.

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

I agree with Stans. I never install a new card with existing drivers. This is a personal choice and I'm sure others do it with existing drivers, but I like to start clean in case there is a problem. As you implied, this makes it much easier to chase problems.

After the install, I will generally update the drivers to the most current and see how things go at that point.

Good luck with the new card.

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals

15 minutes ago, 188AHC said:

I agree with Stans. I never install a new card with existing drivers. This is a personal choice and I'm sure others do it with existing drivers, but I like to start clean in case there is a problem. As you implied, this makes it much easier to chase problems.

After the install, I will generally update the drivers to the most current and see how things go at that point.

Good luck with the new card.

Agree, Think the 388.13 is not compatible driver for 1660TI oldest probaly 419.17

Hello again,,

Thanks to everyone for their quite helpful replies. Some very interesting points provided... much appreciated.

Mike