Sign in to follow this  
Guest mtom

New interview with ACES...

From the original article posted:First Comes FSX, Then Comes Vista"Flight Simulator X is still on track for a holiday 2006 release and will be optimized for Windows Vista when Vista is released," according to Shawn. Expect to see a Windows XP version released first followed by an update for Windows Vista sometime after that. Seeing that Vista will use DirectX 10, it looks to me like a DirectX 10 card will indeed be helpful and that, in terms of performance, we might have an entirely different beast when Vista is released.RH

And 64bit compiled will make a huge difference too.

Hi,Can someone explain how a 64bit compiled application will run on a 32bit OS?Jimhttp://www.hifisim.com/Active Sky V6 Development TeamActive Sky V6 Proud SupporterHiFi Beta TeamRadar Contact Supporter

> Can someone explain how a 64bit compiled application will run on a 32bit OS?Of course it won't. In case your confused, I was only talking about the Vista patch being a 64 bit upgrade.

Hi,Can anyone show me where the Vista patch will be a 64bit upgrade?Jimhttp://www.hifisim.com/Active Sky V6 Development TeamActive Sky V6 Proud SupporterHiFi Beta TeamRadar Contact Supporter

> Can anyone show me where the Vista patch will be a 64bit upgrade?Of course it's not confirmed the patch will be a 64bit one, just like its not confirmed the patch will support DX10. It would be pretty lame though to release a patch specifically for Vista that is only 32bit and DX9 compatible.

>> Can someone explain how a 64bit compiled application will>run on a 32bit OS?>>Of course it won't. In case your confused, I was only talking>about the Vista patch being a 64 bit upgrade.>Of course it's not confirmed the patch will be a 64bit one, just like >its not confirmed the patch will support DX10. It would be pretty lame >though to release a patch specifically for Vista that is only 32bit and >DX9 compatible.Please stop... Even with the "upgrade to support DX10," FSX will still be a 32-bit application... :-bangYou are only confusing everyone with this stuff.Why else would ACES issue a "patch" or "upgrade" to FSX except to include the DX10 abstraction layer?

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Right on Bill. I think some folks are going to really be disappointed if they continue to believe some of the stuff posted here. My only counsel would be to ignore ANY comments regarding patches/DX10/Vista/FSX features unless they are made by a member of the FS team. All this idle speculation (as well as some just outright erroneous comments) is a bit like trying to teach a pig to sing - doing so is wasting your time and it makes the pig angry.Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

> Please stop... Even with the "upgrade to support DX10," FSX will still > be a 32-bit application... :-bangSays who? your not the PM on MSFS and even if you heard something 'official' theres a long time to go until FSX is even released, let alone the Vista patch. This is whats needed if you want it to run properly. Or otherwise you must be happier watching the slideshows.

Than take a look at the blog post "flight simulator x and dx10?" by sebastien st-laurent(graphics engineer on mfst), where he states this: "Do we plan on supporting DX10? Definetly! The question I can't really answer is whether it will be out of the box or as an update to the product. As I have mentioned, there is currently no hardware in existence which supports DX10. And we are still at least a few months away from seeing any type of prototypical hardware (the kind with wires all over the place and tape holding the pieces together)."you can find the blog here: http://blogs.msdn.com/sebby1234/archive/20.../16/533879.aspxmake your own conclusions,cheers,C.G.

Good call buddy! Looks like the pig is singing after all :-lol

I'm aware of all that C.G.. I'm not referencing any credible FS Team source. What I'm talking about are folks posting totally unjustifiable statements here like like "It would be pretty lame though to release a patch specifically for Vista that is only 32bit and DX9 compatible." which implies a 64-bit version of FSX to which there is no MS team reference. And "And 64bit compiled will make a huge difference too" which implies significant performance gains from the same unreferenced 64-bit version. Nothing personal to the OP, but these types of posts are, IMNSHO, confusing to the less technical among us, absolute idle speculation at the best, and totally misleading at the worst. And so I say again, my only counsel would be to ignore ANY comments regarding patches/DX10/Vista/FSX features unless they are made by a member of the FS team. (Especially if one is trying to make preliminary hardware/OS decisions.) Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

>Says who? your not the PM on MSFS and even if you heard >something 'official' theres a long time to go until FSX is>even released, let alone the Vista patch. This is whats needed>if you want it to run properly. Or otherwise you must be>happier watching the slideshows.Are you truly this naieve, or do you lack the ability to form well-reasoned conclusions from available data, or is this just a pretense? Perhaps you simply enjoy writing anything - nonsense or not - just for the sake of writing something... :)It's been cussed and discussed in this forum ad infinitum, ad naseum that (a) there's no "simple way" to rewrite a legacy 32-bit application to optimized 64-bit code, and (:( MS isn't so silly as to waste the amount of money required to port FS into 64-bit application code until there's a statistically significant number of potential customers who have both the hardware and the operating system to take advantage of it...Do some research into past history. How long was it before FS went from a 16-bit application to a 32-bit application? Apply that to the current situation, and see if you don't revise your expectations and conclusions.As has been said, until and unless someone from ACES definitely writes that it will be done don't assume or expect anything differently than what has been announced.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

> (a) there's no "simple way" to rewrite a legacy 32-bit application to optimized 64-bit codeReally? How many times have you done it? :-lol I've seen first hand here a Windows project converted to 64bit and I can tell you it's not as difficult as you think. > (:( MS isn't so silly as to waste the amount of money required to port FS into 64-bit application code until there's a statistically significant number of potential customers who have both the hardware and the operating system to take advantage of it...How can it be a waste of time when the next version (sometime around 2010) will obviously be 64bit? Converting FSX to 64 bit for the patch would be ideal timing. Your comment is nonsensical to say the least.You seem to have no understanding of the potential benefits it can bring, you should be supporting a 64bit version instead of trying to prove your silly point. Anyway its still all hypothetical, however I am predicting they will convert it to 64 bit, see how much better it runs and release it like that.