Sign in to follow this  
michaelth

Oculus Rift S or HP Reverb ?

Since P3Dv4 came out, I did hundreds of hours of flight with my Oculus Rift CV1. My only complaint is the pixel resolution, which makes it difficult to read small text (i. e. the Aerosoft CRJ displays). One can deal with that by leaning forward or using zoom, but it would also be nice to have a sharper outside view. Sooner or later (probably sooner), I will buy something new. I have browsed through this thread but there are still many questions:

- does the HP Reverb support P3D native VR or P3D Steam VR ?

- does the higher resolution of the HP Reverb result in a sharper image or is it just theoretically better than the Rift S ?

- which of both sets has better FPS / less stutters ?

- is the sound quality of the Rift S really so poor as some reviews suggest ?

Thank you,

Michael

Michael Thesen

MSFS, HP Reverb G2, Gigabyte B760 32Gb, Samsung 970 EVO, Geforce RTX 4070-TI, Win11, i7-14700KF, Thrustmaster T16000M, Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals

I can only tell you about the Rift S. Image clarity and legibility of text in a typical airliner is more than enough, in fact it's great. You won't be disappointed. The sound is sh*t, but it's easy to plug a pair of headphones directly into the Rift with a normal 3.5mm plug. I just plugged in a pair of in-ear headphones and sound is fixed. 

Considering the price, the excellent controllers, software, availability of other games and apps, I'd be surprised if the Rift S wasn't the overall best HMD out there. 

In this forum there are plenty of reviews linked for the Rift S. Have a read. 

Edited by andreh

I don’t think you’re going to get a lot of information about the Reverb yet. It’s technically released, but it seems only a small batch made it to stores. There’s been a discussion they may be making a small fix before moving forward with production again. 

The controllers are known to be terrible. Sound, not sure. 

But the resolution is heads above the others.  For flightsim, this really seems critical. DCS is where I use VR the most and just can’t see where only the modest increase of the Rift S is going to help me read the finer print of things like the MFD’s. Larger gauges where trends mean as much as numbers, like analogue speed and altitude, may be fine. They’re not bad already in the CV1. 

FPS could be rough. They list a 1080 as the minimum requirement. However, even if performance if rough, I think a lot of people will work with pixel densities less than 1 (instead of the normal 1.5-1.7 now) and still have a higher resolution than anything else. 

If you play other VR games, then the terrible WMR controllers may be an issue. If you’re purely a simmer, we tend to use our own controllers far more often and many won’t find them to be an issue. 

Eric Szczesniak

The Rift S has nothing on the Reverb's image obviously..

Edited by blueshark747

Asus Maximus X Hero Z370/ Windows 10
MSI Gaming X 1080Ti (2100 mhz OC Watercooled)
8700k (4.7ghz OC Watercooled)
32GB DDR4 3000 Ram
500GB SAMSUNG 860 EVO SERIES SSD M.2

Yet, the Rift S image clarity is much better than the relatively modest increase in resolution suggests. There is no problem with reading tiny text in airliners as suggested above. 

5 hours ago, andreh said:

Yet, the Rift S image clarity is much better than the relatively modest increase in resolution suggests. There is no problem with reading tiny text in airliners as suggested above. 

I’ll wait to see the comments when both are more available. I’m not arguing that the PFD in a modern jet or an FMC is pretty readable. I feel like I can almost do it with a Rift CV1, so I think a modest increase could help this a lot. 

But some things are still another level. In some combat sims like a Super/Legacy Hornet or Warthog, some of the MFD menus for TGP and radar start getting to some pretty small font. 

And the Rift CV1 is almost incapable of giving any resolution from the IFOLS. 

This is where I think the Reverb may outshine. If someone tells me they can clearly see the meatball in DCS at 3/4 mile with the Rift S, I’m all in...but, this is what I really need and seems to be the toughest test for my CV1. 

Eric Szczesniak

1 hour ago, ESzczesniak said:

I’ll wait to see the comments when both are more available. I’m not arguing that the PFD in a modern jet or an FMC is pretty readable. I feel like I can almost do it with a Rift CV1, so I think a modest increase could help this a lot. 

But some things are still another level. In some combat sims like a Super/Legacy Hornet or Warthog, some of the MFD menus for TGP and radar start getting to some pretty small font. 

And the Rift CV1 is almost incapable of giving any resolution from the IFOLS. 

This is where I think the Reverb may outshine. If someone tells me they can clearly see the meatball in DCS at 3/4 mile with the Rift S, I’m all in...but, this is what I really need and seems to be the toughest test for my CV1. 

If you have not already, you might want to take a look at this thread: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=238589

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

17 hours ago, andreh said:

I can only tell you about the Rift S. Image clarity and legibility of text in a typical airliner is more than enough, in fact it's great. You won't be disappointed. The sound is sh*t, but it's easy to plug a pair of headphones directly into the Rift with a normal 3.5mm plug. I just plugged in a pair of in-ear headphones and sound is fixed. 

Considering the price, the excellent controllers, software, availability of other games and apps, I'd be surprised if the Rift S wasn't the overall best HMD out there. 

In this forum there are plenty of reviews linked for the Rift S. Have a read. 

I'm sure glad to hear that because I just ordered one today.  This will be my absolute first experience with VR.  I've never even looked through one. I have no idea what to expect.

It may scare me so bad, I'll run out of the room 😜

I have just ordered the Oculus Rift S and will report back.

Thank you all,

Michael

• Like 1

Michael Thesen

MSFS, HP Reverb G2, Gigabyte B760 32Gb, Samsung 970 EVO, Geforce RTX 4070-TI, Win11, i7-14700KF, Thrustmaster T16000M, Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals

9 hours ago, signmanbob said:

I'm sure glad to hear that because I just ordered one today.  This will be my absolute first experience with VR.  I've never even looked through one. I have no idea what to expect.

It may scare me so bad, I'll run out of the room 😜

I'm in the same boat as you. I got my Rift S on Friday and spent part of the weekend trying it out. I get the best performance in DCS.(As to be expected) You know your eyes are being tricked but you brain is telling you that you're actually flying in an F-18. A couple of barrel rolls later and you're ready to launch your cookies.😃 Be prepared to be freaked out at first. I have to take it in small doses until I get used to VR. It does have a tendency to give me a headache if I use it for too long.

• Like 1

NAX669.png

1 hour ago, mwilk said:

does have a tendency to give me a headache if I use it for too long.

Also make sure you have selected the correct ipd

• Like 1

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

1 minute ago, HiFlyer said:

Also make sure you have selected the correct ipd

I know that's important. I have to figure out what mine is.

NAX669.png

15 minutes ago, mwilk said:

I know that's important. I have to figure out what mine is.

• Like 2

Devons rig

Meanwhile, I am a proud owner of the Rift-S. Installation was absolutely easy. Pixel Override set to 1.2 using the Oculus Debug Tool. My first flight was sight-seeing around Orbx ENNK (Narvik, Norway) in summer with the Milviz Bell 407. My god, what an improvement in display quality over the Rift CV1. Turning my head fast left to right, I have the impression that there is also less lag and higher fps. Next flight was from Hannover (EDDV) to Stockholm (ESSA) with the PMDG 737: readable instruments, good fps - a real joy.

Sound quality is much better than I expected after reading a lot of criticism: PMDG APU sound, faint engine start rumble, trim wheel sound, handbrake and flaps together with ProATC/X, no problem. I have sound volume set to 0.33 (default is 1, but that is far to loud and disturbing others).

In summary: very good value for money. I had the Rift CV1 for 2 years, let´s see what will come after another 2 years. Exiting times for us flight simmers.

Michael

Edited by michaelth
  • Like 1

Michael Thesen

I have just completed a fascinating winter night flight from LIMC (Milan-Malpensa) to EDDT (Berlin-Tegel) with the PMDG 777-200. Night sky is not pitch black, but very dark grey. The grey scale is continuous, much smoother than in the Rift CV1.

Michael

• Like 1

Michael Thesen