Sign in to follow this  
Sean Paul Jackson

Launch RC already in flight

Hi all,

I started RC the right way, got the clearances, took off. RC crashed on climb (doesnt happen often). I want to restart RC while in flight... because i'm not starting over. Is there a way to do that? Load the flight plan and have RC just pick up from the last waypoint I crossed?

Hi Sean,

Back before P3D you could just load a saved flight providing you had a paid version of FSUIPC and had autosave enabled.

It now requires the use of a third party free utility to convert the saved flight into a format RC4 can read. Download Flight plan converter from here and that should do what you need. https://forum.simflight.com/topic/66136-useful-additional-programs/

You still require FSUIPC to save your flights of course.

Edited by Ray Proudfoot

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Hi Ray,

I'm using FSX Acceleration. How do I use the flight plan converter to create the .flt plan and also do I have to start from the last RCD waypoint?

Thanks,

Ed Kammerman

Edited by Ed Kammerman
my wonderful spelling

Hi Ed,

You shouldn’t need to use the converter with FSX. My understanding is it’s only necessary with P3D plans saved in XML format.

The requirement in order to restart a flight is to have FSUIPC perform an autosave every x minutes. If FSX crashes you just restart FSX but then start RC4 and load the last *.RCD plan. That will place the aircraft at the position it was when the autosave last ran. 

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Hi Ray,

The problem I have and the reason I. I did the reinstall was because a lot of times recently as I said in my original post I would start my flight using radar contact but then after a couple of saves radar contact wouldn't load the flight that I had saved I would get an error message underneath radar contact saying something was wrong with the GPS. So I'm not quite sure how to deal with that I really enjoy radar contact definitely over FSX ATC. So what do you think might be causing that error concerning the GPS and radar contact. A little addendum I usually save my flights using the shift colon method. What would recommend, that method, the method recommended in the radar contact manual or auto save in fsuipc?

Thanks,

Ed

Edited by Ed Kammerman
Wonderful speech to text LOL. And added to the Post

Hi Ed,

You don't say what aircraft you're flying because some 3rd party ones don't save the state of all the switches whereas some of the better (more expensive) ones do.

I don't fly any aircraft that use the GPS but perhaps others can help there. Posting the error message would help. I would recommend you use FSUIPC to perform an autosave every 5 minutes. Remembering to do it yourself means you're likely to forget or do it less frequently.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Hi Ray,

Most aircraft I fly can save the panel state (PMDG etc) The GPS I was referring to had something to do with the FSX flight plan. The next time that message pops up I'll remember to put it in a post.

Ed 

Ed, I also fly the PMDG737 but in P3Dv4. I also have a plan loaded into P3D but don’t see this message. Are you seeing it when attempting to load a saved *.RCD in RC4?

It’s been a very long time since I loaded a saved flight via RC4 so my experience on this is limited but I’m sure it will work since it would have been thoroughly beta tested.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Hi Ray, yes that's exactly where I see it when I load *. Rcd for a flight that's in progress. We'll see how this works I really appreciate your assistance, thanks Ed

Hi Ed,

Try another aircraft that uses GPS. Perhaps a Carenado if you have one. This is not something that came up in testing which admittedly was 13 years ago so you'll understand my memory is not fresh on this.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Hi Ray, I don't think it's aircraft specific I think it's something in Flight Sims interaction with radar contact I could be wrong but the next time it pops up I'll write it down and let you know. The other thing is I think I forgot to set in fsuipc specific identifiers for each save so when I relaunch the flight I got to the right point where I left off. In the meantime should I just start from the last one on the top? Also will it launch radar contact at the same time thanks much Ed.

Hi Ed,

A screenshot of the message would be helpful. No need to set anything in FSUIPC other than ticking the AutoSave option and specifying how many minutes between each save. You can load any autosaved file you want but the last one would be the most logical.

You have to load the saved RCD via RC4 otherwise you won't get the interaction with the controllers. The sequence is:-

• Restart FSX
  • Load the last saved autosave and choose Fly Now.
  • Start RC and load the last RCD file.
  • Start RC4.

You are effectively loading a saved flight twice but that's the only way to get RC4 to interact with it.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Hi Ray, I did as you suggested yesterday that works just fine. I'm going to do a few saves and restarts of the flight over the next few days and we'll see how that works.

Edited by Ed Kammerman
  • Upvote 1

Hi Ray,

Well today was failure day, even though I followed your directions I got that error message again. Took a screen shot, where would you like me to post it.

Ed