Sign in to follow this  
Guest tdragger

Will accessing map view still pause FSX?

Guest JSPuonti

A couple of months ago there was a discussion about how accessing FS9's menus caused the game to pause. The reason given for this was that the menus were handled by Windows, not FS9, and to me it sounded like FSX would behave exactly the same way (do correct me if I'm wrong - I'd actually prefer it if I was ;) ).In a more recent post one of the devteam members (tdragger?) mentioned that he was busy working on the map UI and this reminded me of the older topic on pausing.Maybe someone in the devteam could tell us if we will at the very least be able to access the map view without pausing FSX? The map view in FS9 gives access to information that's otherwise inaccessible (such as the descriptions of facility boundaries), but I hate accessing it for studying purposes because it pauses my flight (not to mention the fact that the window's quite small and can't be resized).That's another point... will we be able to resize the map view this time around? It'd be great for those of us who fly at high resolutions and could afford to see more of the map :)

Guest Bill Hinton

Janne,I agree. It would be terrific if, also, if their was an option to have the map transparent.

Guest tdragger

You can see a map in the flight planner dialog.

Guest tdragger

The dialogs will still pause the sim.

Guest jrobert

>The dialogs will still pause the sim.But accessing the GPS map won't. The GPS in FS9 has a map view that is exactly the same as the one in the dialogs. ;)

Guest JSPuonti

>The dialogs will still pause the sim.Ahh shucks :( That's a real shame. Will the map also still be a static size or can we enlarge it and see more of the map?>But accessing the GPS map won't. The GPS in FS9 has a map view>that is exactly the same as the one in the dialogs. ;)The GPS map view in my copy of FS9 sure isn't the same as the regular map. For example, where in the GPS map can you see boundary / airspace information for any airspace of your choosing (such as "CHINOOK B, military operations area, floor / ceiling 300 ft / 5000 ft")? I can see the names or airspaces around me on the "Nearest airspace" page but not the information associated with them (which is kind of important, especially with restricted military zones). The list is also limited to airspaces immediately around me, so I can't check up on an airspace that I'll be passing through in an hour for example.I also can't freely pan around the GPS map view to examine the terrain ahead of me (I can only zoom in and out but that doesn't always cut it) or even cycle through my FP waypoints in the map view. The GPS doesn't show runway headings either, which can be found through the map view.This is why it would have been great to be able to access the map in FSX without pausing the sim :/

Guest GabrielR

I think that asking for a moving map in FSX is stretching reality a little bit, besides the GPS, what RW pilot uses a moving map???????

Pretty sure the map is still a static size. Read it awhile back in another thread.Hope this helps,Jimhttp://www.hifisim.com/Active Sky V6 Development TeamActive Sky V6 Proud SupporterHiFi Beta TeamRadar Contact Supporter

Guest tdragger

True, although there may be away to change them on your installation. Still workin' on it.

Please please - that is a really important UI niggle for me. One reason I stay away from many of the options in FS is that the screens are too small to be useful to me. I use a 1920 x 1200 display, and 800 by 600 ends up being really small. I wouldn't mind so much if the windows were allowed to expand to the size of the screen, but for some reason they aren't allowed to on my Dell laptops (I've owned 3 different ones all with the same behavior).Thomas[a href=http://www.flyingscool.com/FC_StartJava.html] http://www.flyingscool.com/images/Signature.jpg [/a]I like using VC's :-)

Tom Perry

Signature.jpg

It seems to me that perhaps an addon could be developed to display a map over the screen in the top down view, similar to the ATC window. I'm thinking a semitransparent window placed over the top down view with a map indexed to the screen similar to FSMM.The number of possible uses for this is really amazing. I can think of all kinds of things that could be shown through it. Probably would want to be able to control the level of transparency of the window.FS guys, perhaps you could program in some hooks to help this idea out?Thomas[a href=http://www.flyingscool.com/FC_StartJava.html] http://www.flyingscool.com/images/Signature.jpg [/a]I like using VC's :-)

Tom Perry

Signature.jpg

Guest JSPuonti

Err..Please note that I didn't ask for a moving map. I asked for a map view that doesn't pause FSX like the one in FS9 does. There's a big difference :) A moving map is one where you can see your aircraft's (and possibly AI / multiplayer aircraft) position update in real time. What I'm talking about is otherwise the same "static" map view as in FS9, but with two changes:1) Allow resizing of the map2) Don't pause the simulatorFrom the looks of it number 2 is out and number 1 might be possible through some CFG trickery? (or that's how I interpret tdragger's latest post)

Given the poster's restatement of needs/desires, one of the hooks for top down view would be to allow two modes, follow aircraft and don't follow aircraft.'Course, that then opens up the need to add tools so the user can move around in the view when it's not locked to the airplane.Thomas[a href=http://www.flyingscool.com/FC_StartJava.html] http://www.flyingscool.com/images/Signature.jpg [/a]I like using VC's :-)

Tom Perry

Signature.jpg

Guest sclincoln

I would really love some type of undockable map window that you could move to a second monitor (which I have). Something like Abacus CoPilot used to do. I understand that CoPilot is now finally able to work with FS9, but considering the cost for the upgrade with absolutely no new features, I'll just keep using my old version with my FS2002 database. I loved that program when it first came out. I used it all the time with FS98 but it's a bit long in the tooth now and I'm looking for a more elegant solution (native to FSX?). That would make RTW trips so much better. I mainly fly around the US because that's the only place I have decent charts for and I can't stand to fly without them now.