Sign in to follow this  
jt_williams

Mendoza to Valparaíso (Aconcagua Challenge)

Mendoza to Valparaíso (Aconcagua Challenge)

We depart Mendoza (SAME) and head southwest to the Mendoza River. Following the river valley northwest and then southwest again into the main range of the Andes. Climb, gaining as much altitude as possible before the turn point at Rio Des los Horcones where we change heading north to the Aconcagua Massif.  Follow the waypoints to circumnavigate the peak before heading southwest and resuming our leg to Santiago.  Departing Santiago we will fly east over the city’s commercial center turning at the Gran Torre Santiago (Great Santiago Tower), the tallest skyscraper in South America.  The remainder of the route features the excellent freeware costal scenery by Orlando Veas and enhanced airports (links below).  We will finish at Vina del Mar Airport (SVCM).

J7OIJ9A.jpg

Aircraft Recommendations:  I recommend that we fly the excellent Manfred/Visser C-47 V3 freeware.  Ron has provided us with many South American liveries which will make for a colorful flight.  It will also be a challenge to climb over the Andes and circumnavigate Aconcagua.   (I had thought of trying this flight with the A2A Cessna 182 but found that hypoxia got me before I achieved the necessary altitude).  I will be flying El Venado (with some extra oxygen bottles).

Flightplan is HERE

Scenery Recommendations

Orbx South American Landclass

LATINVFR - SANTIAGO SCEL V2 P3DV4 (Optional Payware)

Surroundings extremely detailed, downtown Santiago buildings.  Photo scenery coverage includes airport vicinity and nearby mountains. Extremely detailed terrain mesh for the region of Santiago, and nearby Andes mountains for highly detailed approach immersion.

I will be using this scenery, however there is a freeware option listed below.

Freeware Scenery Recommendations

Mendoza (SAME) El Plumerillo International Airport  (ALSUR)

Governor Francisco Gabrielli International Airport, better known as El Plumerillo International Airport, is located 5.0 miles northeast of the centre of Mendoza Argentina. The airport covers an area of 490 hectares (1,200 acres) and is operated by Aeropuertos Argentina 2000 S.A.  [This is an excellent freeware rendition of the Airport and surrounding city. Well worth the download]

Aconcagua Mountain Range Photoreal (Simviation)

Aconcagua Mountain Range, Argentina, photoreal scenery. Includes base camp and heliport. Aconcagua is the highest mountain in the Americas at 6,960.8 m. It is located in the Andes mountain range, in the province of Mendoza, Argentina, and lies 112 kilometres northwest of its capital, the city of Mendoza. by juan30005

Valparaíso Provincia, Litoral 2016 (AVSIM)

Scenery of Valparaíso Province from North (Quintero) to South (Laguna Verde valley). About 2.000 km2 intervention that brings up to fsx the current urban density, neighborhoods, forests and the most important iconic 3d objects you can recognize from a real VFR flight. This project uses FTX Vector as it main complement (only for the shapes of the coast). Also uses satellite background DAY/NIGHT, SPRING/ FALL / WINTER Photoscenery for Ritoque, Aconcagua, Concon, Embalse Los Aromos, Salinas, Borde Costero de Viña del Mar, Tranque La Luz, Peñuelas.

Valparaíso Aeródromos de la Provincia 2016 (AVSIM)

Makeover of 5 fsx airports located in Valparaíso province. SCER, SCRD, SCSN, SCIR, and SCCV (Región Metropolitana). Layout is modified following satellite coordinates including background DAY/NIGHT, SPRING/ FALL AND WINTER Photoscenery. (+ 3d objects)

SVCM - Vina del Mar Airport - Vina del Mar, Chile (AVSIM)

A remake of the default SCVM airfield considering all season photoscenery, elevations, landclass and 3D objects

SCEL - Aeropuerto Internacional Comodoro Arturo Merino Benítez - Santiago, Chile

This is just another freeware upgrade ("lift surgery") over the default SCEL FSX airport. Layout is modified following satellite coordinates and background textures are replaced by DAY/NIGHT, SPRING/ FALL AND WINTER Photoscenery.

Flight NOTAM

Set Simulator Date to Sep 22, 2018.  This is so we can enjoy spring textures in the southern hemisphere.  If you set it to real time the autumn vegetation is a little drab.

Set Departure Time to 14:15 Local This should give us nice afternoon light for the final legs and a planned arrival at Vina del Mar at Dusk (17:15).

Set Historical Weather to Saturday May 4, 2019  20:00 UTC.  This will give us mostly clear weather and good views of Aconcagua.

Particulars

Date and time: Saturday, 1 Jun, 2019, 1800 UTC.
Where: AVSIM RTWR Teamspeak - Casual Flights Channel
Teamspeak Server Address: ts.teamavsim.com
Cross-Platform Multiplayer: JoinFS. (FSX, FSX-SE, and P3D).

If you want to help others enjoy the multiplayer experience, don't forget to enter your aircraft details on the multiplayer spreadsheet (linked here). Your courtesy will save others a lot of time and effort.

• Like 1

| Windows 11 | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | i9-13900K | RTX 4090 | 64GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE DDR5 | 2TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2 | 2x 2TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2 | CORSAIR AX1600i ATX Titanium | LG C2 42 Inch 4K OLED | 

26aLetj.png

The C-47 does not really love thin air.
Aconcagua8.jpg?dl=1
It will require a brave heart, and a steady hand at the controls, to take on the challenge of mighty Aconcagua.
Excellent!
😎

--Mike MacKuen
MikeM_AVSIM.png?dl=1

Good luck to anyone flying the C-47! I shall be flying the P-51 military Mustang. In my new Rift S, I flew the first leg to er...the first airport and I know you'll find this hard to believe, I was smiling! :ohmy: The Rift S has given me my P3D back in spades! 👍

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

A most enjoyable flight, one that I didn't think was possible in VR...Until S!  The amazing thing is that there was hardly a peep of complaining from me. Must do better.

2 hours ago, Ron Attwood said:

The amazing thing is that there was hardly a peep of complaining from me.

Hmmmmm!   Might be time for an NGX formation flight?

| Windows 11 | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | i9-13900K | RTX 4090 | 64GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE DDR5 | 2TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2 | 2x 2TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2 | CORSAIR AX1600i ATX Titanium | LG C2 42 Inch 4K OLED | 

26aLetj.png

Still haven't retried to the climb to 19K feet, perhaps with Monday's coffee to start the week 😉
Here are just a couple photos from the flight.
Great flight Jeff - Thanks for everything - specially finding all the sceneries!

20AUG21_Avsim_Sig.png?dl=1  FS RTWR   SHRS F-111   JoinFS   Little Navmap 

Being the aviator you are Roman, you WILL make it.

• Upvote 1

Success! Made it to 22,035 feet.. She would go no higher, hanging on by the propellers was all that was keeping her in the air.
The key, as Jeff said, was to start the climb schedule as soon as the wheels left the ground.
A nice evening flight to start the week 😉 
Some screenies from this flight are here..
BTW Ron... I was your one-thousand and first ( no lie ! ) ..... haha! :laugh:

kWl46JYrhNLgHtBBB4ngB8XoDI.jpg

Text / Tracking

20AUG21_Avsim_Sig.png?dl=1  FS RTWR   SHRS F-111   JoinFS   Little Navmap 

On 6/4/2019 at 2:33 AM, spokes2112 said:

BTW Ron... I was your one-thousand and first ( no lie ! ) ..... haha! :laugh:

Oh thanks! Over here 1001 is a carpet cleaner. :rolleyes:

And well done, I knew you'd make it. 👍