Sign in to follow this  
UAL744

Book review/recommendation

Hello everyone it's been a while but may have heard of this book or not, but there's a book I would highly recommend; Highest Duty: My Search For What Really Matters by Sully. 

It's a really good book, with lots of parts of Sully's life, from his early childhood in Texas, to his service in the Air Force, to his early years as a commercial airline pilot, from the meeting and later marriage of his airline sweetheart Lorraine, to the transition from loving husband/pilot, to loving father/pilot, to the trauma and horror of 9/11, to the fallout of 9/11, and the events of January 15, 2009 that are now known as the Miracle on the Hudson!

When I read the book for the first time, I came across one quote from the book that I think every aspiring pilot or current pilot should know and remember, and should be included in this review.

"Not everything can be forseen or anticipated. There isn't a checklist for everything."

His account of the events of flight 1549 are vivid enough that the reader will have pictures in their heads of what was actually happening that cold January day, and the account of that flight from his point of view is very gripping and the reader will be unable to stop reading until the end.

You should buy that book, it's worth every penny!

• Like 1

On 5/26/2019 at 8:55 PM, UAL744 said:

Hello everyone it's been a while but may have heard of this book or not, but there's a book I would highly recommend; Highest Duty: My Search For What Really Matters by Sully. 

It's a really good book, with lots of parts of Sully's life, from his early childhood in Texas, to his service in the Air Force, to his early years as a commercial airline pilot, from the meeting and later marriage of his airline sweetheart Lorraine, to the transition from loving husband/pilot, to loving father/pilot, to the trauma and horror of 9/11, to the fallout of 9/11, and the events of January 15, 2009 that are now known as the Miracle on the Hudson!

When I read the book for the first time, I came across one quote from the book that I think every aspiring pilot or current pilot should know and remember, and should be included in this review.

"Not everything can be forseen or anticipated. There isn't a checklist for everything."

His account of the events of flight 1549 are vivid enough that the reader will have pictures in their heads of what was actually happening that cold January day, and the account of that flight from his point of view is very gripping and the reader will be unable to stop reading until the end.

You should buy that book, it's worth every penny!

Thanks for the recommendation, I also highly recommend this free link of a classic release of Flying magazine in '77.  There are many wonderful articles, and even the advertisements give you a look back on aviation as it was 40 years ago, as it was transitioning to the modern age and celebrating the past.  I gave my original copy as a loan to a friend, he never gave it back, lol!

https://books.google.com/books?id=SOUUuRXEFmoC&printsec=frontcover&source=gbs_ge_summary_r&cad=0#v=onepage&q&f=false