Sign in to follow this  
christb

Rift S- Haze

Anyone else have an issue with a thick haze in the Rift S headset when flying at night in P3D v4.5?

The conditions on the monitor mirror are clear but in the headset, it's like flying in a serious thick fog.

It's only a night.

dusk to night is fine also.

tried changing settings for HMD in nvidia control panel, no joy.

any thoughts, ideas, or suggestions would be much appreciated, thanks.

Edited by christb
forgot to list sim version

Win 11 pro 64Bit, X670 AORUS ELITE AX, Ryzen 9 7900x, RTX 4080, 64Gig GSkill 6000 DDR 5, Samaung Evo 4TB SSD.

Try with HDR off at night that used to be a culprit in the Rift-CV1. It could be the black levels of the display not capable of displaying enough contrast. You might need unique brightness/contrast levels for night flying.

That would be my thought too - too much brightness. I have special settings for night with significantly lower brightness. Never thought to try to turn HDR off. I´ll try that.

Sounds like a plan, thanks, will try.

Win 11 pro 64Bit, X670 AORUS ELITE AX, Ryzen 9 7900x, RTX 4080, 64Gig GSkill 6000 DDR 5, Samaung Evo 4TB SSD.

I've tried all of the above now and no luck. There is a haze-like effect when it gets very dark. This could be a limitation of the HMD itself., e.g., the back is not as black as a screen. I'll try in Elite Dangerous and see if there's a similar problem there. Also a game that has as a lot of back. 

Other than the haze, it looks better than the CV1, though. No banding, everything is actually dark. 

• Like 1

Verdict for Elite Dangerous - the "haze" is still there but much less pronounced than in P3D. Barely noticeable. I think this mostly due to the black levels of LCD vs. OLED. 

I'll take it though, even for P3D. Still much better than the CV1. I flew through a thunderstorm and it is really scary not being able to see anything and then have the sky light up from lightning and just briefly seeing a massive cell right ahead of you. 

16 hours ago, andreh said:

I've tried all of the above now and no luck. There is a haze-like effect when it gets very dark. This could be a limitation of the HMD itself., e.g., the back is not as black as a screen. I'll try in Elite Dangerous and see if there's a similar problem there. Also a game that has as a lot of back. 

Other than the haze, it looks better than the CV1, though. No banding, everything is actually dark. 

With a high certaincy that is the limitation of the HMD. I own one and in my case I have this whitish haze too. LCD isn´t capable producing "that Black Colour" like OLED:

I also had exactly this issue with Pimax 5k Plus. 

Regards Marcus

Edited by mpo910
  • Like 1

Regards,

Marcus P.

xaP1VAU.png

I found a slight mitigation to the haze problem with Rift S,

to restore some clarity.

with HDR on;

I have brightness level at 1.88,

bloom at 0,

saturation at 1.26.

Only thing is cockpit/panel lighting is pretty bright like this,

but overall it does get rid of some of that haze effect when real dark.

Edited by christb
forgot to identify HMD

It does seem to be a HMD design issue, its the same in Xplane 11

It's the same in Elite Dangerous, but to a much lesser extent. It's never really that dark in Elite - light from stars, planets etc. In this game you can compensate nicely by reducing Gamma.