Sign in to follow this  
broncoblair

Super Slow FPS But Have A Loaded PC

Dont have Ortho but have lots of ORBX terrain and other addon airports and PMDG aircraft Im using. I have a PC built around an Intel i7 7700K, not overclocking currently, have a GTX 1080 TI Rog Strix with 11 gig of ram, 128 gig of onboard ram. My display settings are on the medium side. P3D 4.2 Add ons, like EZCam, GTX, the REX 3d Clouds and Active Sky. Im not using full screen res. I think its like 2560x1440 . Texture - Ultra, Texture Filtering NONE, FXAA 2X, AA: 4X. Vsync ON, To me it seems like these settings are standard from what I've been reading and seeing on here and on some videos. But I still am having these issues. Really bumming me out. I definitely cant go full resolution monitor wise or it creeps like a snail... Seems addon airports are worse, even UK2002 like Heathrow are dragging which are supposed to be fairly low in FPS strain. Help me guys !! Ive been flying transatlantic with the PMDG 747-8 and the 777 and been enjoying it so much but coming in for a landing at 15 FPS sucks ! 

There's a whole lot of relevant detail missing here...most of the most important performance-sensitive settings aren't really mentioned.

Ortho?  In P3D? 

A 7700K running at stock speed (4.2 GHz on all cores) is 19% slower than the one I had running at 5.0 GHz--that's a lot of performance left on the table.

AA: 4X?  Is that 4xMSAA or 4xSSAA?  Set in sim or using an external utility like NVI?  Are dynamic lights enabled?  Cloud texture sizes?  Autogen density and LOD settings?  Traffic density?  Frame rate target?  No AF at all?  Running full ORBX regional scenery as well as the add-on airports? 

I think you need to do a fair bit more research and experimentation w/r/t performance tuning.  Heathrow at 15fps on a 4.2GHz quad-core is approximately what I'd expect without making some compromises.

Regards

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

2 hours ago, w6kd said:

There's a whole lot of relevant detail missing here...most of the most important performance-sensitive settings aren't really mentioned.

Ortho?  In P3D? 

A 7700K running at stock speed (4.2 GHz on all cores) is 19% slower than the one I had running at 5.0 GHz--that's a lot of performance left on the table.

AA: 4X?  Is that 4xMSAA or 4xSSAA?  Set in sim or using an external utility like NVI?  Are dynamic lights enabled?  Cloud texture sizes?  Autogen density and LOD settings?  Traffic density?  Frame rate target?  No AF at all?  Running full ORBX regional scenery as well as the add-on airports? 

I think you need to do a fair bit more research and experimentation w/r/t performance tuning.  Heathrow at 15fps on a 4.2GHz quad-core is approximately what I'd expect without making some compromises.

Regards

These are my current settings for my card and P3D. I tested my card with several FPS programs to get the best performance without crashing, so its slightly overclocked. Never looked into overclocking my CPU. Yes dynamic lights are enabled. Frame rate target 60. Im running the ORBX add ons all for north america and UK as far as scenery goes, no ORBX airports. But plenty of airports from other 3rd party developers. I havent looked at cloud texture sizes but just bought REX Environment so I am going to revisit. https://ibb.co/z4JwZ9W Cant sort out how to upload a photo but heres a link to my screen shot. 

Edited by broncoblair
spelling

To embed a pic into your post instead of posting a link, just click on the embed codes and copy/paste the BBCode into your post.

emmbed.JPG

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

Well, first off all I'd suggest you ditch the internal frame rate lock. It's not a conventional lock, it messes with how much processing is dedicated to various tasks and can severely impact performance. Try using RTSS or Nvidia Inspector.

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

Yeah the internal frame lock alone will cost you about 15 FPS bc it sets FFTF too high.  Set that to unlimited.

Also make sure you don’t have any static aircraft turned on from U.K.2000, those perform awful from my testing. 

Set building autogen density to Normal and LOD radius to high when flying into EGLL.

Also, EGLL is the most unique FPS killer in the sim that I know of. I can take off from default Chicago O’hare and even LAX with 55 FPS and those same setting magically get me 34 FPS at EGLL.

5 hours ago, broncoblair said:

These are my current settings for my card and P3D. I tested my card with several FPS programs to get the best performance without crashing, so its slightly overclocked. Never looked into overclocking my CPU. Yes dynamic lights are enabled. Frame rate target 60. Im running the ORBX add ons all for north america and UK as far as scenery goes, no ORBX airports. But plenty of airports from other 3rd party developers. I havent looked at cloud texture sizes but just bought REX Environment so I am going to revisit. https://ibb.co/z4JwZ9W Cant sort out how to upload a photo but heres a link to my screen shot. 

The settings visible in your screenshot are not what you posted...you are running 2xMSAA, not 4X, and FXAA is off, not on.  No idea about the other settings not on that page.

ORBX regional scenery is pretty heavy on performance.  LHR is also a known performance challenge, especially if you have traffic levels set much above minimal.  Autogen density and LOD remain unaddressed.

I have no idea what you mean about not being able to use "full screen resolution."  Is your monitor's native resolution something other than the 2560x1600 res you have set?

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

8 hours ago, w6kd said:

The settings visible in your screenshot are not what you posted...you are running 2xMSAA, not 4X, and FXAA is off, not on.  No idea about the other settings not on that page.

ORBX regional scenery is pretty heavy on performance.  LHR is also a known performance challenge, especially if you have traffic levels set much above minimal.  Autogen density and LOD remain unaddressed.

I have no idea what you mean about not being able to use "full screen resolution."  Is your monitor's native resolution something other than the 2560x1600 res you have set?

Sorry Im not the best at this ! I did that from memory while at work, memory is not as good as I thought. I will look into the autogen density, at the moment other than GTX I have no P3D based traffic going or objects. I overclocked to 5GHZ last night. Still slow as molasses leaving EGLL until I got a couple miles away from the airport. I also only have 32 gig of ram but am not sure if that's really an issue. Are those settings I posted at all good for a better performance ? 

8 hours ago, TravelRunner404 said:

Yeah the internal frame lock alone will cost you about 15 FPS bc it sets FFTF too high.  Set that to unlimited.

Also make sure you don’t have any static aircraft turned on from U.K.2000, those perform awful from my testing. 

Set building autogen density to Normal and LOD radius to high when flying into EGLL.

Also, EGLL is the most unique FPS killer in the sim that I know of. I can take off from default Chicago O’hare and even LAX with 55 FPS and those same setting magically get me 34 FPS at EGLL.

I actually upgraded to 4.5 last night, do you mean the slider? Should be unlimited? 

My resolution for my screen is 3840X2160 its a 28 inch 4K ASUS MG28UQ but I definitely cannot use it with FPS this low, so Im back to 2560X1600. 

43 minutes ago, broncoblair said:

My resolution for my screen is 3840X2160 its a 28 inch 4K ASUS MG28UQ but I definitely cannot use it with FPS this low, so Im back to 2560X1600. 

Is your monitor capable of a 30 hz refresh rate?  

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

43 minutes ago, Mace said:

Is your monitor capable of a 30 hz refresh rate?  

From a cursory look, that monitor is a free-Sync monitor that not only should be able to work at 30Hz, but it might also work with nVidia G-Sync using current drivers.

Also, a 28" 4K monitor has a high-enough pixel density that it should require no AA at all.  A 1080Ti should be capable of driving that monitor at 4K with no AA without any impact to frame rates.

If you have a 30hz-capable monitor, then I'd recommend setting your refresh to 30 hz, vsync=on, and the in-sim framelock=unlimited.

After that, if you are concerned about Heathrow (who isn't), I recommend setting up and saving a P3D configuration profile (mine is called "London").  It has autogen radius to Medium, autogen buildings at normal, and autogen veg at dense.

With your cpu (now at high 4's or 5.0 ghz, I hope), I'd recommend autogen radius medium, autogen buildings at sparse, and autogen veg at normal.  Both special effects sliders to zero.  AI cars to no higher than 7% (or zero, preferably).   Now you test.  Start low and build up your settings...not the other way around.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Man you guys have been more than helpful. Im pretty sure I am refreshing at 30. Should I keep my resolution set the same at 2560X1600? Seems all the airports, KSDF, KLAX, any add on I have seems to just eat it up, turning my head in the cockpit takes like 2-3 seconds. I connected the larger HDMI cable that came with my screen, believe its like the HDMIx or something cable that clips into my graphics card, I remember the refresh rate changing for the better once I did that. 

Im clocking at 5 now ill see what happens ! 

Hmm I´m quite happy with 4.5 HF1 Performance. 

Using a 9900X @ 4,6 Ghz with 32 GB RAM and a GTX 2080TI , Windows on a 960 PRO M2 and P3D on a 970 PRO M2. Montior is 34" Acer Predator 4K with G-Sync.

Frames Locked Internally at 31 FPS,  30 hz Refresh for the Monitor.

For sure in ORBX GB South with Aerosoft EGLL  i only have between 12-15 FPS with PMDG and FSL but that`s because i have very high settings. 

I also use AIG AI Traffic so also the sky and the airport is very heavy crowded with AI Planes.

But i love to see all the thousands of Autogen Buildings and Trees while i takeoff, so i accept the "performance" hit, and it still feels "more or less" fluid to me.

Edited by 331BK

sfo_a320.png

C. W. ,Ryzen 9 5950X @H2O , 32 GB RAM DDR4 3600 Mhz CL15 , Corsair MP600 Pro Watercooled 2 TB for P3D, Samsung SSD980 1 TB for Addons and Crucial MMX500,  Red Devil Ultimate 6900 XT