Sign in to follow this  
broncoblair

Super Slow FPS But Have A Loaded PC

6 minutes ago, 331BK said:

Hmm I´m quite happy with 4.5 HF1 Performance. 

Using a 9900X @ 4,6 Ghz with 32 GB RAM and a GTX 2080TI , Windows on a 960 PRO M2 and P3D on a 970 PRO M2. Montior is 34" Acer Predator 4K with G-Sync.

Frames Locked Internally at 31 FPS,  30 hz Refresh for the Monitor.

For sure in ORBX GB South with Aerosoft EGLL  i only have between 12-15 FPS with PMDG and FSL but that`s because i have very high settings. 

I also use AIG AI Traffic so also the sky and the airport is very heavy crowded with AI Planes.

But i love to see all the thousands of Autogen Buildings and Trees while i takeoff, so i accept the "performance" hit, and it still feels "more or less" fluid to me.

I have UK2002 version of EGLL and its just un flyable which seems nuts to me. But my settings arent that crazy at all and i have no traffic add ons. Frame lock as in you use the slider option in P3D or is frame lock a feature of the GTX? I dont think i use much autogen at all i have to go look. Im trying to figure out now what it really is so i may have to uninstall some things, or disable them at least to test it out. 

Can I ask how to i engage free sync or g sync for my monitor ? 

3840x2160 @60Hz with DisplayPort1.2/ HDMI (v2.0), 3840x2160 @30Hz with HDMI (v1.4)
**Adaptive-Sync (FreeSync) technology supported within 40~60Hz for DP only
***USB3.0 ports with Power charge BC1.2

This is listed on the manufacturer website, im currently using the displayport cabe so i am guessing im at 60hz refresh? And the freesync works within the HDMI 2.0 or displayport but not the regular HDMI. Am I better off enabling freesync instead of sticking to just 30 or 60 ? 

Edited by broncoblair

51 minutes ago, broncoblair said:

I have UK2002 version of EGLL and its just un flyable which seems nuts to me. But my settings arent that crazy at all and i have no traffic add ons. Frame lock as in you use the slider option in P3D or is frame lock a feature of the GTX? I dont think i use much autogen at all i have to go look. Im trying to figure out now what it really is so i may have to uninstall some things, or disable them at least to test it out. 

I use the P3D internal slider and set it to 31 FPS.  I tested with Locked and Unlocked and for me the difference was "minimal" 

@broncoblair I have a setting in my graphics card menu, but i use g-sync.

sfo_a320.png

C. W. ,Ryzen 9 5950X @H2O , 32 GB RAM DDR4 3600 Mhz CL15 , Corsair MP600 Pro Watercooled 2 TB for P3D, Samsung SSD980 1 TB for Addons and Crucial MMX500,  Red Devil Ultimate 6900 XT

Setting FPS unlimited on its own is asking your PC to throw out as many FSP as possible all the time. Bad. You can set FPS limited within the sim and simply add an FFTF of 0.01 to make P3D just run the same as if you had set unlimited. It's much better to have your FPS locked or "locked" through VS. Than just unlimited on its own.

Be careful with RTSS if you use pop up 2D panels. I tied using it and it hafted my fps that RRTS had locked. But if you don't use 2D pop-ups it should work well.

I flow out of EGLL simwings yesterday in the FSLA320 and my locked fps never dropped below the 26 set within P3D. 

If you have your PC overclocked to 5, it seems you have some big problem some were.

Its a huge problem as setting up a PC to run P3D well is down to hardware, then setting within the sim and what tweaks to fine tune it. A mind field really. Reading your reports sound you have a fundamental problem with your PC or the install of P3D. Run some test on your PC to see what results they come up with.

Edited by Nyxx

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

What you want to do is try and VSync @ 30 Hz.

This will automatically limit the frame rate to ~30 fps as it will tie in with the Monitor Hz rate. It'll wobble about because that is the nature of the vsync, however it will be a very smooth experience, provided there is enough headroom to be able to maintain the 30 fps.

This will also reduce the GPU load meaning there is a wider configuration option to tune GPU use so as to not max out at 100%, noting 100% is GPU overload and will kill frame rates back to a stuttery mess.

So set the following.

• Monitor screen mode @ 30 Hz.
  • In P3D Vsync and Triple Buffering on.
  • P3D frame rate to unlimited.

If you cannot reach 30 FPS with the above configured it means you've pretty much hit the ceiling of P3D CPU perfomance (3D building handling in P3D is somewhat lacking in performance - hopefully it is an item next on the LM list of things to improve), however with a 5 Ghz overclock and 2080Ti (which you can also overclock) you should be pretty good.

Note complex aircraft and tubeliners do suck the fps out of P3D.

Some hints are to try reducing the traffic (just turn it all off for starters and see how much the FPS inproves), also try reducing the scenery draw distance as the less distance it has to draw the better the FPS.

I recommend using a tool to monitor CPU and GPU use to get a feel of what P3D settings values affect the CPU / GPU use, and use a consistant senario for testing - e.g. your fav airport (where good FPS can be achived).

You can then create and save profiles for different types of flying and can swap on the fly so to speak.

Here is a link to a vid I've made @ a 30 Hz screen mode, the vid includes P3D settings to help give an idea on the type of perfomance and settings used for for the given scenario.

Prepar3D v4 5 HF1 Flight Testing in the Tecnam Sierra takeoff and landing @ 11S Airport

Ryzen 5800X clocked to 4.7 Ghz (SMT off), 32 GB ram, Samsung 1 x 1 TB NVMe 970, 2 x 1 TB SSD 850 Pro raided, Asus Tuf 3080Ti

P3D 4.5.14, Orbx Global, Vector and more, lotsa planes too.

Catch my vids on Oz Sim Pilot, catch my screen pics @ Screenshots and Prepar3D

So regarding my CPU being clocked at 5, i monitored temps while flying they were in the 70's. I just did a stress test and they jumped up to 95-99 so i stopped immediately. Seems I am going to have to look into a new cooler or have Corsair replace my current cooler. It is supposed to be a liquid cooled single radiator but it doesnt even seem to be keeping temps low at my regular 4.2ghz. I tested stock at 4.2 under a stress test and my temps were reaching 79. 

3 hours ago, broncoblair said:

So regarding my CPU being clocked at 5, i monitored temps while flying they were in the 70's. I just did a stress test and they jumped up to 95-99 so i stopped immediately. Seems I am going to have to look into a new cooler or have Corsair replace my current cooler. It is supposed to be a liquid cooled single radiator but it doesnt even seem to be keeping temps low at my regular 4.2ghz. I tested stock at 4.2 under a stress test and my temps were reaching 79.  

Ahh, yes large temp increases, just what I found when I overclocked my Ryzen from the default 3.2 GHz to it's curent 4.1 GHz.

I did two things to reduce temp to maintainable postions.

1), Disable SMT ( Simultaneous multi-threading ) - HyperThreading in the Intel world. This reduced the 16 virtual cores to the 8 physical cores and made for quite a large temp drop and also had the effect of being more stable e.g. I was able to go from 3.9 Ghz to 4.1 Ghz with stability. Performance was essentually improved with disabling of SMT.

2), Replace the cooler. The Ryzen came with its own Wrath cooler which was small but perfectly suited to the default clock speeds. I now have one of these beasts installed and it is great, cools very well and is extremely quiet. IMHO worth every cent.

Noctua NH-D15 AM4 Special Edition CPU Cooler, Dual Tower

• Like 1

Ryzen 5800X clocked to 4.7 Ghz (SMT off), 32 GB ram, Samsung 1 x 1 TB NVMe 970, 2 x 1 TB SSD 850 Pro raided, Asus Tuf 3080Ti

P3D 4.5.14, Orbx Global, Vector and more, lotsa planes too.

Catch my vids on Oz Sim Pilot, catch my screen pics @ Screenshots and Prepar3D

I can thoroughly recommend the Noctua NH-D15. It is a beast, just make sure you have enough room in your PC case! 

AMD Ryzen 5900X - Asus Crosshair VI Hero - G.Skill 32GB (2x16GB) 3000 C14 DDR4 @ 3600 14-14-15-14-28-42

AMD Red Devil Radeon 6900XT  2700/2112 1125mv - 3 x Iiyama G-Master GB2888UHSU 4k @ 11560x2160

Saitek X-55 Rhino - Track IR5 - Obutto Sim Cockpit + Triple Monitor Stand - Fancy some Techno? https://www.mixcloud.com/dj_bully/

@broncoblair, you have a UHD monitor which the 1080Ti can handle with ease. Whatever you do do not run it at anything other than its native resolution.

Not only will you seriously compromise the picture quality the fps you are saving is minimal.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

On 5/29/2019 at 6:50 AM, broncoblair said:

I have UK2002 version of EGLL and its just un flyable which seems nuts to me. But my settings arent that crazy at all and i have no traffic add ons. 

Get the SimWings Heathrow Professional version from Aerosoft optimised for 64-bit. I had the earlier Heathrow Xtended and apart from the awful ground textures the Pro version gives me an extra 5fps.

I have the AIG Ai package and with over 300 Ai in an 80nm bubble around EGLL my frame rates still hover around 20.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

On 5/30/2019 at 12:55 AM, Rogen said:

Ahh, yes large temp increases, just what I found when I overclocked my Ryzen from the default 3.2 GHz to it's curent 4.1 GHz.

I did two things to reduce temp to maintainable postions.

1), Disable SMT ( Simultaneous multi-threading ) - HyperThreading in the Intel world. This reduced the 16 virtual cores to the 8 physical cores and made for quite a large temp drop and also had the effect of being more stable e.g. I was able to go from 3.9 Ghz to 4.1 Ghz with stability. Performance was essentually improved with disabling of SMT.

2), Replace the cooler. The Ryzen came with its own Wrath cooler which was small but perfectly suited to the default clock speeds. I now have one of these beasts installed and it is great, cools very well and is extremely quiet. IMHO worth every cent.

Noctua NH-D15 AM4 Special Edition CPU Cooler, Dual Tower

Ended up upgrading from the Corsair H80i v2 which was only 120mm (i read was too little for overclocking an i7) and ended up with a NZXT Kraken X62 at 280mm and 2 fans, seems to be a better solution although Im still seeing some temp spikes that im not ok with so i may end up looking into these hyper threading options you mentioned. 

On 5/30/2019 at 3:58 AM, Ray Proudfoot said:

Get the SimWings Heathrow Professional version from Aerosoft optimised for 64-bit. I had the earlier Heathrow Xtended and apart from the awful ground textures the Pro version gives me an extra 5fps.

I have the AIG Ai package and with over 300 Ai in an 80nm bubble around EGLL my frame rates still hover around 20.

Ill look into it. Seems the UK2002 scenery is what has been crashing P3D on startup for me. 

I could not get P3D to open until i moved my add ons and files folders from Documents onto my desktop... Ruled out everything but the UK2002 scenery. I also double clicked the "Delete Generated Files" button in my P3D folder and now all of my add ons are gone and i dont remember what everything I had was !! Is there a way to restore ?

14 minutes ago, broncoblair said:

Ill look into it. Seems the UK2002 scenery is what has been crashing P3D on startup for me. 

I could not get P3D to open until i moved my add ons and files folders from Documents onto my desktop... Ruled out everything but the UK2002 scenery. I also double clicked the "Delete Generated Files" button in my P3D folder and now all of my add ons are gone and i dont remember what everything I had was !! Is there a way to restore ?

They could be in your Recycle Bin. Have you checked? Never move those folders from your Documents folder. They have to reside there.

Whatever problems you were having with UK2000 scenery what you did was not the answer. Did you ask in the UK2000 forum? Gary is very helpful.

Just rename the Prepar3D.cfg in C:\Users[name]\AppData\Roaming\LM\Prepar3D v4 and start P3D. A new one will be generated and that should get you running.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Just want to thank everyone here for their help ! Ive been able to get back to flying at 30 FPS and up. The hardware adjustment helped me gain a couple FPS but what really helped was the settings you guys mentioned here and disabling some add ons to see what was really causing issues. Im currently overclocked to 4.9 with a new cooler better suited for overclocking, temps peak at around 70-75 if they peak at all which usually while flying im sitting 40-55 or so C. Overclocked my GPU as well which helped some. Things are smooth ! Now if i can just get EZCAM to stop messing with my  TrackIR  !