Sign in to follow this  

Hi all,

I have a 500 GB Samsung 950 Pro m.2 that I use for my boot drive/main P3D installation, a 2 TB hybrid drive that I use for my downloads/storage, and a 1 TB Sandisk SATA SSD that I bought last year that is now nearly full thanks to MegaScenery and Orbx. Thinking about getting a 4TB SSD to future-proof me for awhile and I saw that the Samsung 860 QVO 4TB SSD has dropped to less than $500. I was wondering if this would be a good buy, as it seems like the speed of the Samsung QVO, although not as fast as the more expensive EVO series, is comparable to the Sandisk drive that I don't have any problems with (other than being too small). I've heard in the past that SSD prices will drop further this year, so didn't want to pull the trigger now if the same drive will be available for $300 in a few months.

Thoughts?

P3D 4.3, Windows 10/64 bit, Intel 6700k @ 4.7 air-cooled, NVidia 2080 Ti Founders Edition, ASUS Rog Maximus VIII Ranger, 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 @3200, Phanteks Anthoo Pro Series Case, Samsung 950 Pro M.2 500GB, Sandisk 1TB SATA, Seagate 2TB Hybrid Drive, Cooler Master 700W, 40-inch Samsung 4k TV

I'm not sure that drive is ready for prime time.  I've read on a few different sites about the drive freezing up.  I think may have been on Mac OS though.  Maybe a new firmware will come out.  I'm just blown away by the dropping costs of SSD.  I purchased my current OS drive in 2011 for about 300 bucks.  It is a sata II 120GB lol

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

On 5/31/2019 at 8:04 AM, ryanbatcund said:

I'm not sure that drive is ready for prime time.  I've read on a few different sites about the drive freezing up.  I think may have been on Mac OS though.  Maybe a new firmware will come out.  I'm just blown away by the dropping costs of SSD.  I purchased my current OS drive in 2011 for about 300 bucks.  It is a sata II 120GB lol

Just saw the 860 Evo has dropped to $597. I think that's $100 lower than when I posted this a week ago. I wonder if the new models are close to release. (870?)

P3D 4.3, Windows 10/64 bit, Intel 6700k @ 4.7 air-cooled, NVidia 2080 Ti Founders Edition, ASUS Rog Maximus VIII Ranger, 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 @3200, Phanteks Anthoo Pro Series Case, Samsung 950 Pro M.2 500GB, Sandisk 1TB SATA, Seagate 2TB Hybrid Drive, Cooler Master 700W, 40-inch Samsung 4k TV