Sign in to follow this  
HiFlyer

A First Look at the Oculus Rift S - In Five Sims

Been waiting for this video from BelGeode, and it's a good one. :)

• Upvote 1

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

4 hours ago, HiFlyer said:

Been waiting for this video from BelGeode, and it's a good one. :)

What a stuttery mess in P3D. This was also with my Oculus Rift S the case (ASW off/on and SS max tested with 1.2 up to 1.5. Even with 1.0 it wasn´t smooth like my somsung odyssey plas. So I returned to my Samsung HMD. 

• Upvote 1

Regards,

Marcus P.

xaP1VAU.png

Thanks @HiFlyer for posting this. That was a really good video and run down of a few of the flight sims I have or am interested in. My Rift S should be here today and I can't wait to take it for a spin. I got my first taste of flight simming through a Odyssey+ and I want more!

It's VERY encouraging. I was never too concerned about DCS, it looked reasonable to me. But I AM looking forward to see what P3D turns up. From what he said, it sounds good. Now where the hell is my Rift S? Apart from 'we have your money tee hee' not a dicky bird. Dispatch on the 27th it said. 😬

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

1 hour ago, Ron Attwood said:

It's VERY encouraging. I was never too concerned about DCS, it looked reasonable to me. But I AM looking forward to see what P3D turns up. From what he said, it sounds good. Now where the hell is my Rift S? Apart from 'we have your money tee hee' not a dicky bird. Dispatch on the 27th it said. 😬

I'm just now setting mine up. I hope yours gets delivered soon!

From my experience XP11 is the best civilian sim currently for VR by far. Nothing beats actually using the touch controls to play with the the G1000, GTN750, FMC, autopilot controls, etc. It feels so realistic...it is really hard going back to the mouse when using P3D.

Edited by GCBraun

PC1: AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity | Asus TUF X670E-Plus | G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL30 | 4TB NVMe  | Noctua NH-D15 | Asus TUF 1000W Gold | be quiet! Pure Base 500DX | Noctua NH-D15S | LG OLED CX 48"

PC2: AMD Ryzen 7700X | PowerColor Radeon RX 6800 XT Red Dragon | MSI MPG B650I EDGE  ITX | G.SKILL Flare Expo X5 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL32 | 2TB NVMe  | Cooler Master Hyper | Lian Li 750W SFX Gold | Lian Li TU150 | SAMSUNG Odyssey G9 49"

GoFlight GF-PRO NG 737 Yoke System - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle - MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - TrackIR - Stream Deck XL + Stream Deck Plus

Very informative video, might be time to make the jump into VR with this Rift-S. Thanks for posting!

Cheers

Martin

Only problem here is that he doesn't show what flying at night in P3D or Xplane looks like.

If your ok with the thick haze effect at night, then cool.

Win 11 pro 64Bit, X670 AORUS ELITE AX, Ryzen 9 7900x, RTX 4080, 64Gig GSkill 6000 DDR 5, Samaung Evo 4TB SSD.

Mine arrived a few days ago. Only ordered it a couple of weeks ago. Still getting set up but so far it's a definite improvement!

Mark Harris.

Aged 54. 

P3D,  & DCS mostly. DofReality P6 platform partially customised and waiting for parts. Brunner CLS-E Yoke and Pedals. Winwing HOTAS and Cougar MFDS.

Scan 3XS Laptop i9-9900K 3.6ghz, 64GB DDR4, RTX2080.

B737NG Pilot. Ex Q400, BAe146, ATP and Flying Instructor in the dim and distant past! SEP renewed and back at the coal face flying folk on the much deserved holidays!

On 5/28/2019 at 1:32 PM, GCBraun said:

From my experience XP11 is the best civilian sim currently for VR by far. Nothing beats actually using the touch controls to play with the the G1000, GTN750, FMC, autopilot controls, etc. It feels so realistic...it is really hard going back to the mouse when using P3D.

To me none of them will ever top FSX with Flyinside Injector.

It uses touch controls and leap motion hands and graphics are much better than XP11 and mods and aftermarket capabilities are endless and also solid multiplayer and shared cockpit.

Where you still have access to fly with other players using 2d, 3D Vision and VR.

To me nothing tops that right now.

Only thing I'm missing out of FSX in VR are shadows.

Here are some vids I recorded...

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1CdkXTdANgJo2U00_L_uerAmUFBhaE4iS/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/16N40pCEpWm0qOmQ1Obk2ayR54UDTP4-y/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1cMZNTtB6XkUE0-TV5LhNNzqAixuhtnay/view?usp=sharing

Edited by blueshark747

Asus Maximus X Hero Z370/ Windows 10
MSI Gaming X 1080Ti (2100 mhz OC Watercooled)
8700k (4.7ghz OC Watercooled)
32GB DDR4 3000 Ram
500GB SAMSUNG 860 EVO SERIES SSD M.2

22 minutes ago, blueshark747 said:

To me none of them will ever top FSX with Flyinside Injector.

It uses touch controls and leap motion hands and graphics are much better than XP11 and mods and aftermarket capabilities are endless and also solid multiplayer and shared cockpit.

Where you still have access to fly with other players using 2d, 3D Vision and VR.

To me nothing tops that right now.

Only thing I'm missing out of FSX in VR are shadows.

Here are some vids I recorded...

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1CdkXTdANgJo2U00_L_uerAmUFBhaE4iS/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/16N40pCEpWm0qOmQ1Obk2ayR54UDTP4-y/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1cMZNTtB6XkUE0-TV5LhNNzqAixuhtnay/view?usp=sharing

"None of them will ever top FSX". Wow... how can you know that? FSX is a dead, 32-bit simulator.

While you are surely free to enjoy the platform, I don`t think anyone with a half-decent machine should stick to software released in 2006 that is not in active development anymore. Flyinside was nice for its time, but native VR is the way to go.

Your videos are good and props up to the fans who keep the platform going, but I prefer, for instance, flying over Ortho-scenery with an advanced Airliner or GA aircraft into SoCal using extended night-lightning and OSM-data without fears of OOMs. All that in VR is Sim-Heaven for me...

Edited by GCBraun
  • Upvote 1

PC1: AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity | Asus TUF X670E-Plus | G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL30 | 4TB NVMe  | Noctua NH-D15 | Asus TUF 1000W Gold | be quiet! Pure Base 500DX | Noctua NH-D15S | LG OLED CX 48"

PC2: AMD Ryzen 7700X | PowerColor Radeon RX 6800 XT Red Dragon | MSI MPG B650I EDGE  ITX | G.SKILL Flare Expo X5 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL32 | 2TB NVMe  | Cooler Master Hyper | Lian Li 750W SFX Gold | Lian Li TU150 | SAMSUNG Odyssey G9 49"

GoFlight GF-PRO NG 737 Yoke System - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle - MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - TrackIR - Stream Deck XL + Stream Deck Plus

56 minutes ago, GCBraun said:

"None of them will ever top FSX". Wow... how can you know that? FSX is a dead, 32-bit simulator.

While you are surely free to enjoy the platform, I don`t think anyone with a half-decent machine should stick to software released in 2006 that is not in active development anymore. Flyinside was nice for its time, but native VR is the way to go.

Your videos are good and props up to the fans who keep the platform going, but I prefer, for instance, flying over Ortho-scenery with an advanced Airliner or GA aircraft into SoCal using extended night-lightning and OSM-data without fears of OOMs. All that in VR is Sim-Heaven for me...

I say that because I own every sim and I've tweaked and played all of them in VR.

I never experienced an OOM with FSX Steam Edition.

Which sim are you getting this experience in?

XP11 is hardly optimized for VR until they release the Vulcan engine.

It barely runs good on default low to medium graphics for me even with the performance tweaks and FPS Cap software it looks dull and horrible overall even with high settings.

I can't be bothered with it until they release the new engine.

Glad you are getting the experience you want out of it though.

Edited by blueshark747
  • Like 1

Asus Maximus X Hero Z370/ Windows 10
MSI Gaming X 1080Ti (2100 mhz OC Watercooled)
8700k (4.7ghz OC Watercooled)
32GB DDR4 3000 Ram
500GB SAMSUNG 860 EVO SERIES SSD M.2

47 minutes ago, blueshark747 said:

I say that because I own every sim and I've tweaked and played all of them in VR.

I never experienced an OOM with FSX Steam Edition.

Which sim are you getting this experience in?

XP11 is hardly optimized for VR until they release the Vulcan engine.

It barely runs good on default low to medium graphics for me even with the performance tweaks and FPS Cap software it looks dull and horrible overall even with high settings.

I can't be bothered with it until they release the new engine.

Glad you are getting the experience you want out of it though.

I am getting this experience in XP11, even though DCS is also amazing in VR.

You have a better CPU than I do, so I am not sure where the problem may be, but I have very good performance 95% of the time on XP11 loaded with add-ons using a Rift S, 1.5 pixel density and mid-to-high settings. If I am in a particular demanding region, I just reduce Antialiasing a bit...

Regarding FSX, I had OOM issues a decade ago, so I am not sure what kind of add-ons you are using. I could only imagine what a nightmare it would be trying to takeoff in VR out of EGLL on a FSLabs A320 alongside Orbx scenery and UTLive...

Edited by GCBraun
  • Like 1