Sign in to follow this  
moggel

Localized ATC please

I remember a few years back I bought an adventure based ATC add on. Unfortunately I can't remember the name of it but I think it was a pre-runner to the Radar Contact series. Either way, there was one amazing feature in that package that not even RC4 has managed to match: Localized ATC. When I took off from Germany and flew to, say, France. The conrollers talking to me sounded like they where actually living in those countries. That aspect alone really made the ATC come alive like nothing after it. Sure, might not have been as good as in RC4 but I still miss hearing people talk to me with the the dialects I would have expected. (Yes, there are different dialects in RC4 too but, a.f.a.i.k, there's no link to the actual location. I might as well hear a british sounding controller at KSFO as at EGLL.)Would it be possible to incorporate localized ATC in FSX? I don't mind if not every language on the globe is in the base product but I would love to be able to throw some money at 3rd parties producing ATC add-ons with localized ATC.Cheers

Guest tdragger

You (or others) can do this already using the VoicePack SDK. Since I don't recall very many localized ATC voice pack add-ons being created my assumption is that there's not much interest in them.

>You (or others) can do this already using the VoicePack SDK.>Since I don't recall very many localized ATC voice pack>add-ons being created my assumption is that there's not much>interest in them.My bad then. I was under the impression the Voicepack SDK mainly made it possible to create new words by cutting and pasting parts of existing phrases. I tried it a with fs2002 with some success but I never realized it was possible to record completely new voices and tie recoridngs to ATC phrases and geographical boundaries.I only assumed it was impossible or at least very difficult since, as you say, absolutely no such packages has popped up.Cheers

Guest grapesh

We need something of the scale of ProjectAI in order to create fully global diversified Voicepack for all major countries, languages and airlines. To be realistic: you need ATC phrases AND all airline callsigns in local languages plus in english with local accents, right?

>I only assumed it was impossible or at least very difficult>since, as you say, absolutely no such packages has popped up.I seem to recall that there are some ~976 separate .wav files in each of the voices, so yes... I would say it's "very difficult..." ;)

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Hi,I know EditVoicePack writes over 68,000 wavefiles on an update. I wonder how long it would take to record all those?Hope this helps,Jimhttp://www.hifisim.com/Active Sky V6 Development TeamActive Sky V6 Proud SupporterHiFi Beta TeamRadar Contact Supporter

Guest christian

Hi Mike,I think the problem is not that there is no interest, but the effort involved. Getting a full replacement of clean sound sets is a major project - great idea to have an SDK, but I think most people are put off simply by the work involved and the fact that most of us are probably acoustically challenged. Much easier to fire up gmax or photoshop than to get familiar with sound editing software...Cheers,Christian

It surely would be a lot of work, as other projects for FS. Who knows, it could be a chicken & egg problem. In the Voice-Pack SDK it says you cannot use the SDK to "Have the ATC system in Flight Simulator 2004 use regional voicepacks as you fly in different parts of the world." and I think that's what the original poster meant(?). This fact, I think, contributes to the low interest in creating regional voice packs.Perhaps this post here: http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...g_id=2670&page=could be a hint that we may be able to achieve the above ourselves in the future ?Cheers,Siggy

Siggy Schwarz

>In the >Voice-Pack SDK it says you cannot use the SDK to "Have the ATC>system in Flight Simulator 2004 use regional voicepacks as you>fly in different parts of the world." and I think that's what>the original poster meant(?). This fact, I think, contributes>to the low interest in creating regional voice packs.Indeed, that's what I'm looking for. My request is about providing the 3rd party community with a better SDK where compiling voice packs would be no more difficult than building new models or scenery. Having read some of the replies to my post I feel certain there's a market for this type of products. Most love adding sceneries that make the FS world feel more "at home". I'm sure just as many would love to add voice packs with familiar sounding dialects, maybe even to hear our own language (for GA/VFR)! :-hah

Guest tdragger

We thought about adding the capability to have regional differences, but given that almost no one created new voice packs for either FS8 or FS9 we deemed it not worth it. We're pretty stretched as a team and so have to be convinced that work we do will translate into end user benefit.

>>We're>>pretty stretched as a team and so have to be convinced that>>work we do will translate into end user benefit.>>Hows 'bout if yous DON'T do it, dat I get one of my guys to>break you guys arms! ;-)>black helicopters

Guest Bell206freak

Another issue is the cost of real good voice editing software. Most of the decent stuff I've seen ranges in the neighborhood of $100-$400 for the software alone. It doesn't make the idea financially feasable.

I think the exciting bit would be to start in one country with its ATC accent/language and then flying through zero or more other countries/zones with their languages/accents and then landing in yet another country with yet another language or accent. The current system does not allow that and creating voice packs with one language only limits the market somewhat that it can be sold to.How about giving us a way to hook into FS (let us write a 'module') where we can read the current position and then determine the region and let FS know a possible subdirectory where to look for the voice files to be used ?Cheers,Siggy

Siggy Schwarz

> I would say it's "very difficult..."Not difficult, just time consuming. Even if it took two whole days to record/edit you could do a set for each continent in about 2 weeks. Think it would add alot of value.