Sign in to follow this  
mikeymike

I7 4790k All cores ????

17 hours ago, lownslo said:

RTSS knows the frequency your monitor is running at.  So in P3Dv4, set Vsync to OFF and Framerate slider to UNLIMITED... RTSS will do the rest.  Setting Scanline Sync x/2 to any value that is not 0 (zero) will make RTSS limit the app's frame rate to half of your monitor's frequency.  Easy as that! 🍻

Greg

I very much doubt so. Although I'm reinstalling P3Dv4 and I can't prove it right away in P3D, I strongly believe you'll need to set P3Dv4's VSync to ON, not OFF. Only in this case P3Dv4 will correlate its number of frame generation with something external, otherwise it will continue to churn them out as much as it can (on Unlimited setting).

I've checked my supposition in XP11 with RTSS Scanline Sync x/2 (-1) already and unless I limit FPS either in NVI or RTSS - the FPS will be all over above my aimed refresh rate, this is an established fact for me.

RTSS Scanline Sync x/2 (-x) is just for Syncing similar to NVI's x/2,4 Refresh function. Only when you tick VSync in P3D, or set the number in RTSS/NVI the frame generation number will be coordinated (provided you're on Unlimited in P3D).

I hope this will help to avoid confusion.

Cheers,.

Edited by Dirk98

8 hours ago, Bert Pieke said:

In my experience, a quad core CPU, like the 4790K benefits from having HT on.

The extra cores do help.. but you have to avoid an overload condition on Core0.

If you have six or more cores, HT becomes less attractive..

Again, just my opinion :cool:

Thanks Bert,

I think I will keep the HT on for the time being. Looking for an upgrade within the year to a 9700K system.

Cheers

2 hours ago, Dirk98 said:

I very much doubt so. Although I'm reinstalling P3Dv4 and I can't prove it right away in P3D, I strongly believe you'll need to set P3Dv4's VSync to ON, not OFF. Only in this case P3Dv4 will correlate its number of frame generation with something external, otherwise it will continue to churn them out as much as it can (on Unlimited setting).

Although I'm not entirely sure what you are saying here, I'm interested in what you report from P3Dv4. I'm running P3Dv4 with VSYNCH OFF and UNLIMITED with RTSS Scanline x/2 and my frames in P3D are always right around 30 (60hz monitor). Seems to me that P3D is only churning out the frames required to synch with RTSS scanline synch.

[CPL]  I9-9900K @5.0GHz HT ON, Maximus XI Hero, ASUS TUF RTX4080 OC, 32GB DDR4 3200 14, 1TB NVMe SSD, 500GB SSD, 1TB HDD, 40" Samsung 4K TV, Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Logitech Rudder Pedals, WIN11

1 hour ago, bbuckley said:

Although I'm not entirely sure what you are saying here, I'm interested in what you report from P3Dv4. I'm running P3Dv4 with VSYNCH OFF and UNLIMITED with RTSS Scanline x/2 and my frames in P3D are always right around 30 (60hz monitor). Seems to me that P3D is only churning out the frames required to synch with RTSS scanline synch.

Coincidence. VSYNC in P3D is there on purpose, to sync fps with your monitor's refresh rate. Otherwise nothing stops P3D to work as hard as it can on Unlimited setting, with no external limiters involved. 

RTSS Scanline x/2 is not a FPS limiter by any means. Don't know how this notion sapped in here

Edited by Dirk98

FPS limiter and Scanline in RTSS are not alternative but rather supplemental to each other.

7 minutes ago, Dirk98 said:

FPS limiter and Scanline in RTSS are not alternative but rather supplemental to each other.

This is absolutely incorrect!

There was a time when I believed they were supplemental but another thread about RTSS a few weeks ago made me realize the two settings are alternative to each other.  My issue was with my monitor's power supply.  Now that I've sent the monitor off for repair and using a back-up that functions properly, I will assure you that RTSS does not care how you set Vsync in the sim (it reads your monitor's refresh rate in Windows/registry) nor does it require that you set the RTSS FPS Limiter and Scanline sync.  Set one or the other.  If you have to set both, then you should be looking at your config.

Regards,

Greg

22 minutes ago, lownslo said:

This is absolutely incorrect!

There was a time when I believed they were supplemental but another thread about RTSS a few weeks ago made me realize the two settings are alternative to each other.  My issue was with my monitor's power supply.  Now that I've sent the monitor off for repair and using a back-up that functions properly, I will assure you that RTSS does not care how you set Vsync in the sim (it reads your monitor's refresh rate in Windows/registry) nor does it require that you set the RTSS FPS Limiter and Scanline sync.  Set one or the other.  If you have to set both, then you should be looking at your config.

Regards,

Greg

Greg, try any 3D game, or XP11 and see yourself.

I don't game nor do I use XP11.  But since this is a P3D thread in the P3D forum, I will tell you that I do not set Vsync in P3D (it is off), and I am not required to set both the FPS Limiter and Scanline sync in RTSS.  My monitor is 60Hz, I use Scanline sync x/2, and RTSS limits my FPS in sim to 29-31.

32 minutes ago, lownslo said:

I will assure you that RTSS does not care how you set Vsync in the sim (it reads your monitor's refresh rate in Windows/registry) nor does it require that you set the RTSS FPS Limiter and Scanline sync.

Ok, you don't clearly understand what we are talking here about. RTSS does not need to care. All that matters is that P3D needs to know that. But without VSYNC  and without external limiters P3D does not cap its FPS output on Unlimited setting, if you know what I mean. Launch XP11, any other 3D game, make the settings and see yourself.

Edited by Dirk98

1 minute ago, Dirk98 said:

Ok, you don't clearly understand what we are talking here about. RTSS does not need to care.

And we'll end this nonsense with that!

• Like 1

And if you still see firm 30Hz check out your Nvidia driver or NVI settings. Good chance it's limited there.

1 hour ago, Dirk98 said:

Coincidence. VSYNC in P3D is there on purpose, to sync fps with your monitor's refresh rate. Otherwise nothing stops P3D to work as hard as it can on Unlimited setting, with no external limiters involved. 

RTSS Scanline x/2 is not a FPS limiter by any means. Don't know how this notion sapped in here

Below is a quote from the RTSS forum on GURU3D: https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/requesting-scanline-sync-tutorial.423722/

"A few things first:
Scanline sync replaces the normal FPS limiter. If you set a non 0 value in scanline sync, the FPS limiter value is ignored.
For scanline sync to work correctly, the game needs to run vsync OFF. That means either just plain old vsync OFF or fast sync. (Fast sync will work because it runs games with vsync OFF.)"

🤷‍♂️ sure looks like it's NOT a coincidence. In any event, it works great for me so I'm sticking to it. P3D VSYNCH OFF; FRAMES UNLIMITED; RTSS Scanline Synch x/2 (-1)

[CPL]  I9-9900K @5.0GHz HT ON, Maximus XI Hero, ASUS TUF RTX4080 OC, 32GB DDR4 3200 14, 1TB NVMe SSD, 500GB SSD, 1TB HDD, 40" Samsung 4K TV, Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Logitech Rudder Pedals, WIN11

1 hour ago, Dirk98 said:

Could it be that you are mistaken? :unsure:

A number of us successfully use RTSS Scanline x/2 to limit fps at 30 (on a 60 Hz monitor) :cool:

• Like 1

Bert

27 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

Could it be that you are mistaken? :unsure:

A number of us successfully use RTSS Scanline x/2 to limit fps at 30 (on a 60 Hz monitor) :cool:

Scanline sets the Nvidia driver to Fast Vsync only. Which is not optimal for fluidity. 

So in P3D specifically it's better to tick that VSYNC box (as you know VSync there is different from other 3D games), set your monitor refresh 60 or 50Hz (like in my case), and use Scanline 1/2 -1, and that's enough.

In XP11 it won't work at all with Scanline 1/2 -1 without an external limiter. Those who have XP11 can check it out right now, but make sure to clear all settings in NVI/NVDriver first.

Cheers

Edited by Dirk98

28 minutes ago, bbuckley said:

For scanline sync to work correctly, the game needs to run vsync OFF.

VSYNC in P3D is totally different from the games RealNC Guru referred to. I thought you knew that, but...

Edited by Dirk98