Sign in to follow this  
ols500

LOD_RADUIS is it more CPU or more GPU bound?

13 hours ago, pads103 said:

Just my 2 cents:  After lots of trial and error, I found that the wave effects caused a lot of my stuttering problems in certain areas, like those mentioned above.  It was especially noticeable at KTPA.  If you want to remove the wave effects, go into the terrain.cfg file and comment out (put // in front of each line) all entries that have a wavecontroller effect-there will be many entries.  If you have Orbx files, there will be several terrain.cfg files and you will need to do it in each file.  I was amazed at the difference it made to the smoothness.  Note - there are different entries, such as "wavecontroller", "lakewavecontroller", etc.

so do we have do both the wavecontroller", "lakewavecontroller entries ??  or just wavecontroller

thanks 

14ppkc-6.png

I've used find and replace to edit out all effects that have 'wavecontroller', 'lakewavecontroller' and even Orbx's 'Cntrl_Orbx_oceansurf' and 'fx_HS_FSX_oceanwavecontroller'.

I don't like seeing the wave effect and the fact it could be hurting performance makes me like it even less.

• Upvote 1

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

thank you

Edited by tooting

14ppkc-6.png

Thanks for making me aware of that "find and replace" option. Manual updating was going to take some time!!

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

haha, find and replace is a godsend.  You just need to comment out the line with the effect.

• Upvote 2

If your text editor supports regular expressions you can easily prepend // to the front of every effects line with something like this:

FIND: ^Effect(.*)wave(.*)$

REPLACE:      //$0

Edited by paj
  • Upvote 1

I've just commented out all effects involving waves from the various terrain*.cfg files but unfortunately, in my instance, I didn't see much improvement in stutters whilst flying into the Los Angeles basin (which is my main torture test scenario). I guess I was hoping the wave effects might be the miracle cure.

Edited by paj

38 minutes ago, paj said:

I've just commented out all effects involving waves from the various terrain*.cfg files but unfortunately, in my instance, I didn't see much improvement in stutters whilst flying into the Los Angeles basin (which is my main torture test scenario). I guess I was hoping the wave effects might be the miracle cure.

there isnt a heard of wild animals thats going to stop that stutter fest i'm afraid

Edited by tooting
  • Upvote 1

14ppkc-6.png

57 minutes ago, paj said:

18 minutes ago, tooting said:

there isnt a heard of wild animals thats going to stop that stutter fest i'm afraid

Have you tried this?

Not a miracle cure either, but moving those airport objects and turning off one or two options in SCA's control panel, such as Power Lines, can make a difference between unusable stutter fest and flyable with only occasional stutters. YMMV, but worked for me.

• Upvote 1

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

I think im doing it wrong as when i go to save the terrain.cfg it tells me about ansi characters ?

14ppkc-6.png

4 hours ago, tooting said:

I think im doing it wrong as when i go to save the terrain.cfg it tells me about ansi characters ?

You might want to edit / save your files with an editor like Notepad++  (it's freeware) with UTF-8 encoding -- if I'm remembering right.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Yes, I use notepad to make the edits, but you have to make sure that you have full rights to the file.  Right click on the file and check the properties. 

2 hours ago, Mace said:

You might want to edit / save your files with an editor like Notepad++  (it's freeware) with UTF-8 encoding -- if I'm remembering right.

cheers rHETT that worked.

14ppkc-6.png

I have recently had an interesting observation regarding LOD radius while setting up a new system.    My system is a 9900K at 4.9GHz 2080ti and 32 Ram at 3200 and CL 14

What I noticed is that when I had the LOD radius pulled back a couple notches thinks would get a bit choppy.  When I had it all the way to the right it became smooth and the frames kicked up a bit as well.

This leads me to believe that RAM may have a bearing on the function with it allowing a greater amount of data to be preloaded thus making it smoother.  Just an observation.  All I know is I am very happy with the overall performance of my system

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, BrettT said:

I had the LOD radius pulled back a couple notches thinks would get a bit choppy

RJKhGO2.gif   😀

Edited by paj
  • Like 1