Sign in to follow this  
Guest jrobert

Will FS10 finally herald the end of the 2D panels

Guest Gordius

I must confess that I don't quite see the problem with having both. As I see it the only advantage to a VC flier is the difference between one and two key strokes to change to spot view although I can understand the reasoning behind what you say.My vote goes for both for several reasons one of which being that when developing freeware aircraft if the designer has to include a VC that adds so many hours of extra work which IMHO would deter some. Designing a VC panel is not as simple as 2D which could lead to a drop in the number of freeware panels as well.VC or 2D are of course a personal choice in FS9. I just hope the VC continues to improve as it has this time around.Andrew BrownROARING THIRTIEShttp://www.gordiusfs.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/

Guest ben_hewitt

I hope they keep 2D panels, I use them 99.9% of the time - the gauges are much easier to read and its quicker to find buttons and scan panels. Its better than messing about with the mouse trying to click the right button in 3D view!.

I love the 2D, and use it mostly. I also hit that "W" a lot for a better view when landing, but wish they would add a Tach. My greatest hope is that they expand the capabilities of the fabulous top down view and include an option for all the overlays and enhancements to simulate all the features of FS Navigator in that view.MSFS without FS Navigator and all of it's nice features is clearly not as much fun. Especially "fly to here" and "move to here" ! Just get it over with and pay the developer a royalty to get it into every product sold. The top down view would be perfect for this.Just make sure it can be detached to another screen !!!!!!!!!!!!Bob (Lecanto, Fl)

Guest ThrottleUp

As impressed as I am by VCs I am not sold on them. As long as Im facing a flat computer monitor I prefer the 2D ones not just because of their clarity but because they result in less of a FPS-hit. I also find it irritating to always have to pan, zoon, scroll & press. I know some keyboard shortcuts but still find myself doing that when trying out a VC lol.I feel *true* VC-only flying will come when these things drop in price & PC games/simulations start being designed for them:http://www.togobox.com/images/virtualpic.gif

If Microsoft ditched the 2D Panel it would make things allot harder for freeware designers that specialize in either external models or 2D panels. The 2D panel allows would be designers an easier way to break into this hobby without having to build the whole aircraft. There

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

Guest RonB49

I use 2D instrument panels because I use two monitors; one for the 3D outside view and the other for the panel(s). I don't know how I'd do that with VC. R-

The "old 2D format" is still, by far (IMNSHO), the better option for any type of instrument work. The VC is just too cumbersome and the perspective(s) are too difficult for many of us to comfortably do instrument flying. I'll be sticking with FS9 if FS10 turns out to be a VC-only release - which, of course, it won't be :-) .Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

As many of you, I use 2D almost exclusively ... take a peek at 3D VC now and again ... but do not like the 3D AT ALL, not at all. (but I really don't care about external views, internal toilets, overheads on the aisle in the first class section, dropping trays, or wing views ... I like to fly the plane ... and have been a passenger to many times to remember in real life)Having said that, I think FS is many things to many people and that many people enjoy the hobby in different ways ... so as long as there is a CHOICE between 3D and 2D and the ability to have the "bells and whistles" and visibly moving slats, and visible gearboxes hanging off the engine ... then all will be good.I hope MS finds ways to improve the software and details so that everyone will be happy ... including keeping the 2D panel for those of us who like it.Choice Choice Choice!!!!and IT'S FRIDAY!!!!Cheers, and

I guess if performance limitations by having a 2d panel would be reduced by going to only a VC, I would do it. I fly from the VC whenever I can. I see no problem panning with my hat switch to look down at an instrument stack, etc. In real life you have to do the same thing, no airplane has everything right infront of you. The VC gives me a great perspective and allows me to practice where to look for a switch, instrument, etc. and still being able to swivle my head to the left to check out the scenery, instead of the bland quick view that you get by using 2d panels. I write messages on post cards, I don't need to stare at one for hours

"In real life you have to do the same thing"That is the exactly the problem I have with vc's-in real life you focus your eyes almostly instantly to the instrument you need to look at(hopefully without turning the head much)-not slowly pan-and you may be flicking back and forth between several essential ones with your eyes very quickly. I for instance will be watching the primary instruments and do a quick eye glance at the gps on the right side for info-not slowly pan over to the gps and zoom in-then pan back and zoom out. With 2d you don't have to zoom in and out to get the needed information or correct size(gps for instance) and the gauges and devices are not forshortened in as distorted a manner as the present vc's have depending on your seat height. So at present-I use the vc about as much as I do the outside views-to admire the beauty. But for serious flying 2d all the way. Even if the performance issues could change, along with better clarity I doubt I'd still use it-but that is my preference of course.http://mywebpages.comcast.net/geofa/pages/rxp-pilot.jpg

Would using something like TrackIR address these shortcomings in your mind?Tony=http://www.flightsim-bevs.com]BEVBetaSig.jpg

Guest JeanLuc_

I feel the same Geofa and to me the only aircraft having the quick-glance quality of 2D with the full immersion factor of the VC, is the PIC A320. With pre-defined shortcuts you automatically change the view point position + angle + zoom to any part of the VC, and it comes pre-configured to glance the overhead (directly in front of it, not from the side with an angle), the pedestal, the MCDU etc...Hope this helps!

Guest Peter Wilding

I certainly hope they don't get rid of the 2D panels. It would limit so many things; most importantly it would make realistic cockpit building almost impossible.Personally I don't like VC's in Jets at all but in smaller GA aircraft it's fine, especially for pattern work