Sign in to follow this  
Guest jrobert

Will FS10 finally herald the end of the 2D panels

The best post from this discussion is by Morgan IMHO ..that is to keep both but an option in Flight Sim to "turn off" that particular view. So instead of having to cycle through the 2D panel, its the virtual cockpit by default....and the same for people who use 2D panels exclusively.

regardsEd

http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/127932.jpgAMD Athlon 64 3500+, 1024Mb PC3200 DDR, 300Gb HD 128Mb DDR Nvidia 6600GT PCI Express, Audigy 2 ZSCH Products Yoke, Pedals and Throttle Quadrant

Guest Shalomar

I third (fourth?) the motion- more options not less. Cut out 2D, 3D or even tower/spot if you want, but make it a user option. The spot view now is more like a "chase" view at first anyway, might be nice for replay not always when flying if you switch to spot and it's zooming and panning around for a while.I like 2D/3D models in FS9, I usually have the "single row of essential guages" displaying in 2D. I'm not all that interested in "head latency", but to each his own. My current "Quickie" is KABE-KAVP or vice versa (or round trip), 200 foot ceiling 5500 foot tops 1/2 mile vis for KABE and about the same but 1/4 mile vis for KAVP. In the PMDG 1900C, I stay in VC the whole time, sometimes handflying all the way dealing with ATC. BTW, it was an actual USair express flight that I used to cater. They switched from Dash-8s to 1900s just after they decided to start making their own coffee which was the only thing we had ever put on board. Oh well.Best Regards, Donny:-wave

So, they may work if you use expensive additional hardware like TrackIR or multiple very large screens side by side, but for the average person using a single 17" or 19" CRT they don't work.Whenever I use a VC in an airliner I've a ton of popup windows active to figure out what all the displays and gauges read. In the end I return to the 2D view because there I can see that instantly.

Second that.VCs demand very big (multiple) displays and extremely powerful computers and additional equipment like TrackIR when used with airliners (which I usually fly).Hardware hardly affordable for the average Joe (I for my part wouldn't spend

Ed,I totally agree with your comments. Each to their own.Cheers,

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Guest TWVA395

2D has to remain in FS products... After watching those Track IR Promos, I feel sick. I have never moved my head around like that in a cockpit. The pilot might also want to check out a 767 manual. Both options should be included in the next Flight Sim, I have a high-end rig ($850), but the virtual cockpit just isn't appealing to me. When in the cockpit of the 172, I can relate better to the 2D more than the VC... maybe when technology improves... we'll see.http://www.kthxdone.com/images/kw_ft.jpgKen Weik [link:maam.org|MAAM-SIM][link:library.avsim.net/search.php?CatID=root&SearchTerm=kenneth+weik&Sort=Added&ScanMode=0&Go=Change+View]My AFCADs

I bloomin' well hope not :-boomI've been using 2D panels since 1999, and until VCs are super-clear to read I won't turn away from 2D panels :).At present you would need to hire a cinema screen to read some of the VC gauges :-lol

Again, along the lines of 2D versus the VC,I just flew a real weather flight from KENV which sits on the Utah/ Nevada border, and was once the sight of a large Air Base where the B-29's , notably the Enola Gay, and others were stationed for testing the A-bomb strategy during WWII; to KSLC (Salt Lake City) about 90 miles east.Using the RealAir Spitfire, due to it's WWII heritage, speed, & an excellent crisp looking "VC", I flew eastward in rather smooth air. With the mountains surrounding the Salt Lake Valley coming into view, as well as increasingly thicker cloud structure, the cockpit airframe actually started buffet from the increasing turbulence, as winds picked up at 9,500' msl crusing altitude.The "buffet" is due to RealAir's built in head latency & airframe movement, which is just right, and not overdone; but add's greatly to the illusion of being there. The airframe will also buffet on the onset of a stall, and this is something you just don't see, or think your're feeling with 2D static bitmap cockpits!Now I know, this concept won't apply to all aircraft, due to cockpit/ panel size, and type of instruments, systems, etc. But on the other hand, it's a fun & very realistic experience, that just works much better with a virtual cockpit.Included is a "VC" pic, of the same route, different season, but you'll get the idea.L.Adamson

Guest Peter Sidoli

LarryVery good point as much more needs to be done in the way RealAir have done with these head and airframe movements.Even hitting clear air turbulence in the citations I fly you get quite a shudder and rattling through such air as well as lateral and vertical pitching.Sound wise you can even hear the brandy glasses rattling in the drinks cabinet ;-)It all adds to the simulation of flying in Real air rather than some static characterless medium so present especially in the 2D panelPeter

Myself, I don't see them totally ditching a 2d view. Too big a backlash I bet... :( Many hate VC's still...But....It's quite possible the next generation of 2d, will actually be the 3d, but just locked... They are goingto have to improve the resolution of some gauges if they want all to go 3d. But, it doesn't really matter much tome. I'm already sold on the VC's, and I find myself flyingVC panels if at all possible. One thing though...I fly a VC panel much the same as a 2d. IE: I don't usually scrollthe view. I use the keyboard commands to look left/right, etcthe same as the 2d. That way, my forward view always pops back the exact same. I don't like clutsing with my hat switchtrying to center my view..And if I "reset" the view, then I gotta reset it back to my own preferences...But I think VC is here to stay. To me, 2d is starting to seem kinda lame. No prop views, not as good a side view, etc..When I land a baron in VC, I can see the runway between the window pillar, and the left engine. Don't get that in 2d...Just that small improvment in perspective adds quite a bitto me... But to each his own... It's quite possible the new versions panel setup will be largly unchanged, exceptfor minor tweaks and improvements... MK

Guest MarkM

Although I really like to fly more with the 3d cockpits, but my vote also goes for both. Let's don't forget of those who don't have high-end systems.

>I see the GA pilots just keep on piping up! :-roll>>>Big Iron is a totally different kettle of fish! :)But.................All my Big Iron friends have retired early, and went back to GA. Usually fast & expensive experimental kitbuilts, but still GA. So who's who? :D L.Adamson