Sign in to follow this  
hillsboy

France VFR

How does France VFR scenery compare with ORBX region scenery, such as for North and South Germany? Also, are frame rates similar?

Many thanks!

John

You might find this interesting. Help if you understand German.

My system specs: Intel i9-10850@3.6 - 5.2 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080, 32GB  DDR4  RAMNoctua NH-D15 CPU Cooler,1TB Seagate SSD, 4TB Seagate HD, Windows 10, Asus 32 inch monitor, Saitek Yoke, Throttle Quadrant, Rudder Pedals and Trim Wheel     Sims: MSFS2020      Preferred Aircraft  Black Square Bonanza, and Baron, A2A Comanche, PMDG DC-6, Red Wing L1049 

Hi,

It's very difficult to compare theses 2 products because OrbX est based on lndclass and France-VFR on photoreal textures.

After that considerations, photoreal is identical to the real landscape and more light on FPS because it ask less calculations on the CPU, and if you have enought RAM it's very plaisant. If you know the landscape what you flight over, I thionk it's more interesting photoreal

It's two differents philosophies.

Best regards, Didier "Lagaffe"

Boitier HAF 932 / ASUS Z390 STRIX-F Gaming / i9 9900K / Cruxial Ballistic 32 Go à 3200 Ghz / Gigabyte RTX 3060 Ti / 34" Samsung FreeSync 21:9
SSD: Samsung 1To + 2 Cruxial 256 Go / Stockage : WD 4To et WD 2 To / Hotas Warthog and Throttle Cougar

50 minutes ago, lagaffe said:

Hi,

It's very difficult to compare theses 2 products because OrbX est based on lndclass and France-VFR on photoreal textures.

After that considerations, photoreal is identical to the real landscape and more light on FPS because it ask less calculations on the CPU, and if you have enought RAM it's very plaisant. If you know the landscape what you flight over, I thionk it's more interesting photoreal

Good photoreal  scenery + custom AG, like FranceVFR creates is more taxing on the system than landclass based scenery.

Eg : compare FTX Germany to True Earth Netherlands...

I have several FranceVFR Regional packages and they show less fps than FTX Global + Vector..

Surely, PR scenery alone without AG is easier on the system than LC based scenery...

Edited by GSalden

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

I agreed with you on "standard installation" and for first products of France-VFR.

First scenery like Alsace VFR or Bretagne VFR1 & 2 are not optimized and produces theses lags or "taxing".

The phenomenon that you described is not due to autogen but to 3DA objects. The latest productions are better optimized and the annoying detail is less present. this is due in large part to the way 3DS was produced. On the first scenes the cadastral data had been used to the maximum with the cursors of the algorithm which had been pushed to 3/4.
On the latter, the algorithm parameters have been revised downwards, which produces 3DA objects that consume less polygons and this can be easily felt on the display.

On my installation, I have optimized several sceneries by grouping the photo textures and autogene datas of several photo sceneries in order to eliminate duplicates objects/textures and optimize the placement of these components for better system reactivity.

Edited by lagaffe

Best regards, Didier "Lagaffe"

Boitier HAF 932 / ASUS Z390 STRIX-F Gaming / i9 9900K / Cruxial Ballistic 32 Go à 3200 Ghz / Gigabyte RTX 3060 Ti / 34" Samsung FreeSync 21:9
SSD: Samsung 1To + 2 Cruxial 256 Go / Stockage : WD 4To et WD 2 To / Hotas Warthog and Throttle Cougar

1 hour ago, lagaffe said:

1 hour ago, GSalden said:

Good photoreal  scenery + custom AG, like FranceVFR creates is more taxing on the system than landclass based scenery.

2 hours ago, AviatorMan said:

You might find this interesting. Help if you understand German.

Just to throw a spanner in the works, FranceVFR has very recently released "VFR PILOT" and "TRUELANDSCAPE FRANCE". These products are not photo scenery for the most part, but are more like Orbx's Region and OpenLC products respectively.

VFR Pilot is the more 'complete' product with landclass, mesh and 3D objects.
Truelandscape is the landclass base for VFR Pilot, and is an OpenLC+ type offering, containing *some* photoreal areas and some 3D model electricity pylons.

VFR Pilot for the whole country is the same size ~8.5GB as a FranceVFR region and is about €59 excl. tax. Truelandscape is 3.5GB and about €30 excl. tax.
This makes it an alternative to buying multiple regions of FranceVFR at €20 - €30 each and a much higher drive space requirement.

Question is, if you already own Orbx's OLC Europe and a mesh product, do you need to go for Truelandscape or even VFR Pilot?
You may get better value for money by just buying "OBSTACLES & VFR LANDMARKS V3" (the basis of the 3D models in VFR Pilot) and settle with them placed on top of Orbx's OLC Europe.
That's the debate I'm having with myself at the moment.

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

I also would rather compare VFR France sceneries like Ile de France to ORBX True Earth GB South instead of LC-based products. I own both of them (i.e. several France VFR and TE GB South) and find them quite similar conceptionally. They actually look stunning while performance in Metropolitan areas (London/Paris city) is on the lower end in both of them (say fps can fall below 20 using higher settings).

You can cure this by lowering settings, but that begs the question why to buy expensive high-detail scenery to lower detail afterwards. (One definite example: I have to switch off buildings shadows cast/receive in both of them to get rid of stutters - certainly a.result of the sheer amount of buildings.)

Outside large cities both perform sufficiently, at least on my system.

Kind regards, Michael

• Upvote 1

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

48 minutes ago, F737NG said:

Just to throw a spanner in the works, FranceVFR has very recently released "VFR PILOT" and "TRUELANDSCAPE FRANCE". These products are not photo scenery for the most part, but are more like Orbx's Region and OpenLC products respectively.

VFR Pilot is the more 'complete' product with landclass, mesh and 3D objects.
Truelandscape is the landclass base for VFR Pilot, and is an OpenLC+ type offering, containing *some* photoreal areas and some 3D model electricity pylons.

VFR Pilot for the whole country is the same size ~8.5GB as a FranceVFR region and is about €59 excl. tax. Truelandscape is 3.5GB and about €30 excl. tax.
This makes it an alternative to buying multiple regions of FranceVFR at €20 - €30 each and a much higher drive space requirement.

Question is, if you already own Orbx's OLC Europe and a mesh product, do you need to go for Truelandscape or even VFR Pilot?
You may get better value for money by just buying "OBSTACLES & VFR LANDMARKS V3" (the basis of the 3D models in VFR Pilot) and settle with them placed on top of Orbx's OLC Europe.
That's the debate I'm having with myself at the moment.

I like what I see in their promo pics. It looks like France. OLCEU that I fly now, is more on the generic side.

You may have to add Vector into the equation though.  VFR Pilots adds the rivers and the coasts.  The road et railroad networks are P3D default. That means hoping Vector and TL are compatible and disconnecting  most of Vector but the roads/railroads when flying in France. There is also that notorious issue of the OrbX/VFRF autogen incompatibility . I don't know whether they found a solution.

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

Here I have several regions : Paris Ile de France, PACA 1, PACA 2 .

I use FTX Global + Vector icw Obstacles&Repetes which makes it look very good for VFR.

TrueLandscsape probably will be slightly better ( more realistic ) than  Global / Vector as everything is France orientated.

Edited by GSalden

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

Is there anyone having both TrueLandscape and FTX Golbal/Vector ?

If so, could you share some comparison screenhots ?

Thanks, 

9 minutes ago, GSalden said:

Is there anyone having both TrueLandscape and FTX Golbal/Vector ?

If so, could you share some comparison screenhots ?

Thanks, 

TL equivalent is OpenLC EU for France + Vector minus the road/RR network. Both can use the Orbx Global textures. I would welcome comparison screenshots too 😋

Edited by domkle

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

ORBX OLC EU is seasonal is France VFR or just summer textures. 

Edited by rjfry

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

13 minutes ago, rjfry said:

ORBX OLC EU is seasonal is France VFR or just summer textures. 

Their site says "TRUElandscape conserve les textures saisonnières et de nuit" which translates into TL keeps the seasonal and night textures. It uses default or Global textures.

Dominique

I guess it depends whether you want the landscape to look as realistic as possible (France VFR Photoreal; very expensive for multiple regions), or you want complete coverage of France with seasons (the new landclass based product; much cheaper, but (IMO) not as realistic).

Edited by Christopher Low

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

We used the Alpes Maritime region (the bit surrounding Nice and Monaco) for our Airbus Cadet Training Series as we wanted to do the visual circle to land into Nice.

One of the visual landmarks for the approach is Marina Baies Des Anges, which is a large and very distinctive sail shaped apartment complex that dominates the shoreline. It’s very faithfully represented in the France VFR scenery and in general I was very impressed.

If I flew in France more I’d certainly buy the whole lot. Frames were also very good throughout and this is with the FS Labs running with a lot of AI at high settings in 4K. 

airline2sim_pilot_logo_360x.png?v=160882| Ben Weston www.airline2sim.com