Sign in to follow this  
HiFlyer

HP Reverb Pro - The Best VR Headset for Elite and Sims?

Hmmmmmmm....... Srry, i'm not sure anything could lure me into trying Windows mixed reality software and controllers again.......

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

This was actually the video that persuaded me to order the Reverb. I had already been using the very impressive Rift S but sadly had to let it go after experiencing the Reverb. I do really miss the touch controlle rs and found the Oculus eco system much more user friendly than Windows mixed reality. However as most of my time is spent on simulation games including elite dangerous  I felt these were worthwhile sacrifices to enjoy the very impressive resolution of Reverb.

My computer is I7 8700k with Nvidia 1070ti and it runs very smoothly with the Reverb. I had been worried that I might need to upgrade my graphics card but thankfully it's just fine.

17 hours ago, G-Maniac said:

This was actually the video that persuaded me to order the Reverb. I had already been using the very impressive Rift S but sadly had to let it go after experiencing the Reverb. I do really miss the touch controlle rs and found the Oculus eco system much more user friendly than Windows mixed reality. However as most of my time is spent on simulation games including elite dangerous  I felt these were worthwhile sacrifices to enjoy the very impressive resolution of Reverb.

My computer is I7 8700k with Nvidia 1070ti and it runs very smoothly with the Reverb. I had been worried that I might need to upgrade my graphics card but thankfully it's just fine.

I also bought the Rift S and then got the Reverb. The Rift S was very easy to set up and use in sim. I'm finding the Reverb not as easy and actually the image quality isn't as sharp for me as the Rift S was. I'm guessing that it may be my settings but I'm not seeing much information on how to set SS and the like.

NAX669.png

1 hour ago, mwilk said:

I also bought the Rift S and then got the Reverb. The Rift S was very easy to set up and use in sim. I'm finding the Reverb not as easy and actually the image quality isn't as sharp for me as the Rift S was. I'm guessing that it may be my settings but I'm not seeing much information on how to set SS and the like.

Windows mixed reality....... I'm sure the Reverb is a great headset, but wmr controllers and software are straight-up dogs for me.

You will eventually dial it it if you play with it long enough and learn the quarks and nuances, but I didn't buy a headset to add more complications to the ongoing quest to get more frames out of certain sims.

• Like 1

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

2 hours ago, HiFlyer said:

Windows mixed reality....... I'm sure the Reverb is a great headset, but wmr controllers and software are straight-up dogs for me.

You will eventually dial it it if you play with it long enough and learn the quarks and nuances, but I didn't buy a headset to add more complications to the ongoing quest to get more frames out of certain sims.

I'm putting my new system together tomorrow so we'll see if the upgrade in processor and video card have any effect. I really got it because it has better resolution than anything out there. I have a week before the Rift S has to be returned so I'll have time to compare both with the new system. I agree that the Oculus controllers are much better.

NAX669.png

If the image isn't as sharp trying moving the headset around. The sweet spot on the reverb is smaller than the rift.

On 6/15/2019 at 12:16 AM, mwilk said:

Hi Mwilk, I did set my steamvr graphics settings to 188% in order to get the native resolution of the Reverb. I understand all these things vary from person to person and all our faces are different so if you are getting a good image with the Rift S then you're saving a lot of money and getting better controllers and more user friendly interface.

I'm starting to get some problems with Reverb such as intermittent sound from left ear so updating Windows 10 today and probably contacting Hp Support tomorrow.

8 hours ago, G-Maniac said:

Hi Mwilk, I did set my steamvr graphics settings to 188% in order to get the native resolution of the Reverb. I understand all these things vary from person to person and all our faces are different so if you are getting a good image with the Rift S then you're saving a lot of money and getting better controllers and more user friendly interface.

I'm starting to get some problems with Reverb such as intermittent sound from left ear so updating Windows 10 today and probably contacting Hp Support tomorrow.

I had the same issue with the left earpiece. I took it off and reattached it. It was fine after that.

NAX669.png

Devons rig

Turns out the Reverb may have some technical issues. It seems that the the right display will flash after a time. I have experienced this in X-Plane 11. There's some speculation that it may be due to the unit overheating. Word is, HP is not even offering to replace the defective units. They want you to send them back for a refund.I'm waiting to hear from HP on how they want to proceed. I'm not sure how they can offer them for presale at Best Buy when they know they have a problem.

NAX669.png

Reverb launch was a flop....Ill stick to Samsung when it comes to WMR devices

Asus Maximus X Hero Z370/ Windows 10
MSI Gaming X 1080Ti (2100 mhz OC Watercooled)
8700k (4.7ghz OC Watercooled)
32GB DDR4 3000 Ram
500GB SAMSUNG 860 EVO SERIES SSD M.2