Sign in to follow this  
birdguy

Heads-up on flying...

Last month I flew to South Carolina to visit my granddaughter and great grand kids.  Wonderful trip until I got back home.

I started getting sharp pains in my back when breathing so I went to the emergency room.  The first thing the doctor asked me was if I had been flying recently.  Indeed I had.  It turned out that trip gave me pulmonary embolism or blood clots in my lungs.

To make a long story short for the first time in my life I was admitted into a hospital and stayed for three days while they gave me blood thinners.  I came home weak as a kitten and will be taking blood thinners for about a year.

It affects mostly older passengers.  Look up 'flying pulmonary embolism' on the internet and it will give you exercises you can do with your legs while cramped on an airline seat for ay length of time.

Noel

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

Always get an aisle seat and make several trips a hour to the terlit ( thank-you Archie Bunker) and do some stretching along the way.

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

8 minutes ago, birdguy said:

Last month I flew to South Carolina to visit my granddaughter and great grand kids.  Wonderful trip until I got back home.

I started getting sharp pains in my back when breathing so I went to the emergency room.  The first thing the doctor asked me was if I had been flying recently.  Indeed I had.  It turned out that trip gave me pulmonary embolism or blood clots in my lungs.

To make a long story short for the first time in my life I was admitted into a hospital and stayed for three days while they gave me blood thinners.  I came home weak as a kitten and will be taking blood thinners for about a year.

It affects mostly older passengers.  Look up 'flying pulmonary embolism' on the internet and it will give you exercises you can do with your legs while cramped on an airline seat for ay length of time.

Noel

Very good to remind us as we get older, since we are an aging population, about this, my most recent flights have taken their toll on me, especially long hauls to and from Europe like my last flight in 2017.  I booked a window seat home on my non stop BA 747-400 from Heathrow to Phoenix and I had a seat troll in the aisle seat, who would not budge to let me out until I finally had to step on her feet so she could get the message I needed to walk.  For that reason, much as I love the view out the window, I have decided to book an aisle seat on my next non stop to foreign soil from Phoenix, should I take one in the foreseeable future or if I take my daughter, then I will get us an aisle and window seat in premium economy on BA.  Exercise, and hydration, is so important on airliners given the cramped leg and elbow room they offer.  That's why my fav oceanic aircraft was the 767, which had window/aisle seat combinations, and less territory to cross if the aisle pax was sleeping or drunk.

John

Ruddy hell Noel! You take care friend. It's events like yours and John's seat troll which are putting me off long haul flights... and I'm only 52! I guess I would have to budget in extra cost for first or business class as I would like a window seat , but yet want easy access to the aisle... and the toilet :blush:

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

No more flights for me.  Next time I will return to Amtrack for my trips.  Sleeping car accommodations.  Plenty of walking around space.  Good meals in the dining car sitting four at a table.  An observation lounge where you can go anytime and get the refreshment of your choice.

Noel

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

Business class

ZORAN

1 hour ago, birdguy said:

No more flights for me.  Next time I will return to Amtrack for my trips.  Sleeping car accommodations.  Plenty of walking around space.  Good meals in the dining car sitting four at a table.  An observation lounge where you can go anytime and get the refreshment of your choice.

Noel

Wish Amtrak would work on Transatlantic routes, lol, or Transpacific...

Airline Pressure is around 7000' ASL so if you live at higher altitudes you don't notice as much. I live at sea level on an island therefore I notice more. Our friends in Colorado have a bit of an advantage on the rest of us as Denver is around 5500', our friends in Mexico City live between 7500' to 12,500' so for them the air pressure on an airliner is even higher compared to what they are used to 

• Like 1

Matthew Kane

I think it's also a good idea for us old-farts to wear a good pair of knee-high compression socks which will help to help minimize the buildup of excess fluid in the lower legs caused by long periods of sitting, Less fluid, less chance of clots forming and then breaking off to go places they shouldn't go ,,,,,,,,,Doug 

Edited by W2DR
kant spel
  • Like 1

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

I've had several spinal surgeries in the last few years and have a hard time sitting or standing for considerable lengths of time.

The last long flight I took was Atlanta to Seattle and was 5 1/2 hrs. I had to get up quite a few times and walk to the rear of the cabin to stretch things out and after about the third time, I saw a pretty large fellow shadow me down the opposite aisle. As I stood next to the galley talking to the flight attendant, he kept a watch on me and I'm sure he was eavesdropping.  Then, every time I got up and walked to the rear he repeated it.

This went on until we were approaching SeaTac. I knew he was an Air Marshall so I'm sure I took a couple of extra trips just so he could get some exercise too.  His attempt at remaining incognito was very poorly done so I had to have a bit of fun. All harmless, however, but if it made him feel important then so be it. 

• Like 1

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals

@188AHC:  Hope you didn't holler out to your friend...."Hi, Jack"! :blink:

• Upvote 1

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

Nope, Charlie. Not stupid but do enjoy poking the Pitbull on occasion. Especially this particular guy since he was so full of himself. 

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals

44 minutes ago, 188AHC said:

I've had several spinal surgeries in the last few years and have a hard time sitting or standing for considerable lengths of time.

The last long flight I took was Atlanta to Seattle and was 5 1/2 hrs. I had to get up quite a few times and walk to the rear of the cabin to stretch things out and after about the third time, I saw a pretty large fellow shadow me down the opposite aisle. As I stood next to the galley talking to the flight attendant, he kept a watch on me and I'm sure he was eavesdropping.  Then, every time I got up and walked to the rear he repeated it.

This went on until we were approaching SeaTac. I knew he was an Air Marshall so I'm sure I took a couple of extra trips just so he could get some exercise too.  His attempt at remaining incognito was very poorly done so I had to have a bit of fun. All harmless, however, but if it made him feel important then so be it. 

I have spinal stenosis and my Mom warned me not to get the surgery and I was told it would not help anyway.  I have to take a daily regimen of pain medicine, some days are worst than others but with CBD now legal in Arizona, it helps.  A TENS device may also help you, if positioned just right they can help stretch your vertebrae via muscle stimulation, reducing nerve pressure. 

My problem is not sitting, well it is sort of, that is why I had to go out on disability, I have more serious issues when standing more than five or ten minutes, so to compensate I walk one to two miles a day even as I approach 60, it is what my father who had your type of surgery probably taught me.  That has made it possible for me to still fly long hauls like my two nonstop flights between Phoenix and London and back in 2017. 

It allows me to enjoy simming for a few hours a day, but I still need to lie down and rest because of the stress on my back.  I do not resent the pain however, pain is the body's way of telling us there is still life left in us, after all.  No pain means no gain, at least as we age, if you wake up with no pain, may be a warning that you have no feeling, has happened to me once or twice sleeping just right on a nerve in my flying arm and having the dumb thing flop all over the place, lol.....  This only seems to happen with my right arm, not my left, that's why I call it my flying arm since my real life flying was mostly done in stick vs. yoke aircraft with the stick on my right.

JC

It takes a lot of courage to grow old.  It's not easy.

As I read through this thread I consider myself very fortunate.  I'm 85 and last week was the first time I was ever admitted into a hospital.  And it was just for blood thinner medication and rest.  No surgery was involved.

Three days after I was released from the hospital I began getting the pains again when I breathed so I reported back to the emergency room.  The doctor yelled at me, "You're not recovered yet word not allowed!  Go back home and rest for a couple of weeks.  Watch TV or read a book."

So I am watching TV, reading a book, and checking out which FSX aircraft in my collection work on P3Dv4 and which don't.

Noel

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, birdguy said:

So I am watching TV, reading a book, and checking out which FSX aircraft in my collection work on P3Dv4 and which don't.

If you are looking for a book The Son is good, also if you are looking for a TV Show they turned The Son into a TV show as well. Storyline takes place in Texas from around the 1850's through to around 1920, a good bit of history and story telling with Comanche's and Oil Tycoons 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Son_(TV_series)

Matthew Kane