Sign in to follow this  
Julean

Nozzles on a 737

Hi

Anyone have a suggest to Simon what these are?

bcb736_ed908232cd524ecea18e571cbabffd50~mv2_d_1200_1600_s_2.webp

All the best 

Julean

pylon drains.jpeg

Edited by charliearon
embed the screenshot

Jens Michlas
Frederiksberg, Copenhagen
Denmark

I think the are called Pylon Drains For the small quantity of fuel that may leak from the lines inside the engine pylons. 

• Like 1

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

2 hours ago, charliearon said:

I think the are called Pylon Drains For the small quantity of fuel that may leak from the lines inside the engine pylons. 

I would agree. They may drain condensation also.

NAX669.png

Thank you very much...

💓

Julean

Jens Michlas
Frederiksberg, Copenhagen
Denmark

Well that certainly doesn’t look like a B737. It does look like an A320F and yes those are pylon drains. 

As others have noted, they are the pylon drains. That isn't a Boeing 737 incidentally, it looks to me like either an A320 or A321.

There are a number of fluids which could be trapped inside the pylon were it not for these pylon drains. Most likely the fluids would be bit of fuel, hydraulic fluid, or water. You want these to drain out so there is no risk of fire or possibly corrosion. There are three pipe outlets rather than just one, because they are routed to different parts of the pylon structure, passing through bulkhead sections inside the pylon to ensure that all areas inside the structure of the pylon (seven in total on an A320's pylon) are drained as best as can be. One of the fun things about these outlet pipes in particular, is that you sometimes get conspiracy theory nut jobs claiming that these are the 'spray nozzles' for 'chemtrails'.

Incidentally in case you are curious, in your picture there is another drain outlet (there are quite a few dotted around the fuselage in various locations). Aligned in front of the orange portacabin in the distance, there is a rearward facing streamlined outlet pipe on the underside of the fuselage. This is sometimes mistaken for being an avionics antenna, but it is the outlet for water removed from the air circulated in the air conditioning system. You have to watch out for that sometimes when working under an Airbus, as it can pour out and it occasionally can be fairly hot.

Edited by Chock
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

I learned something new, thanks Charlie & Alan, so best not to look up the nozzle's when working a recently landed plane, or wear goggles and a raincoat. A320 relaxing after a long flight.

Aaaaaah relief,. sweet relief.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Jethro said:

Aaaaaah relief,. sweet relief.

Many years ago (1929) there was a slogan for Coca-Cola that described the drink as the "pause that refreshes."

No I say! It is not the "pause" at all; it is merely the "cause of the pause!" :laugh:

• Like 2

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator