Sign in to follow this  
Adam Szofran

It's a shame you missed it

Well i guess 95 % of those intesrested in this missed it, how about hosting this video or pics so we all could see it.

Guest christian

Thanks, AdamReally enjoyed reading this article. I can't believe how accurate my TMF manual was I wrote 3 years ago. Seems like I described the MSFS terrain engine very well without ever seeing the code.Very interesting you use ESRI ArcGIS. I wrote an ArcObject module over the last years to export GIS data into BGL format. Did you guys write a similar exporter? Any chance you may include it in your SDKs?Cheers,Christian

We use a two step process.1. Export from ArcGIS to XML.2. Use BGLCOMP to convert from XML to BGL.I don't know of any plans to release our ArcGIS exporter, but BGLCOMP is already available as part of the FS9 SDK.-Adam

Guest christian

Hmm, but BGLCOMP doesn't support terrain BGL commands - or does it? The binary BGL structure is still the old one, not the same as the new XML one.(I do in principle the same, 1) export to ASM text file 2) use BGLX to convert to BGL with selfwritten ASM commands.)Christian

Well, for raster data (elevations and imagery), there is the Resample SDK tool. Unfortunately, Microsoft didn't release any SDK tools for creating vector data (roads, shorelines, lakes, etc.) but we aim to remedy that in the FSX SDK. Hopefully it'll happen.-Adam