Sign in to follow this  
1st fltsimguy

How Angry Am I?

Very. Extremely. Beyond Reason.

I had a HD failure several weeks back.

I have launched into a complete reinstall of P3DV4.5+ AND XP11.3+ both wiped out. I deep breath and go about doing a reinstall.

So.

I install the latest version P3DV4.5, I launch, its working.

I install all my Orbx Global, Regions, Airports..this takes two long consecutive days. I launch P3DV4.5+, its working, I test out Orbx stuff, all seems great all around the world. So far I'm happy.

I get busy outside doing much needed household stuff, gardening and such and move onto other computer projects like making slideshows.

Two weeks now I had not fired up P3D...tonight, I decide to start loading in my planes, out of nostalgia I start with RealAir...using the P3DV4 installers.

I load them in, go to fire up P3D...CTD, "error creating child window"..I uninstall RealAir...still same issue, I search here and elsewhere to find solutions...ah no issue just rename..LoadVirtualReality=1 TO 0

[STARTUP]
DEMO=0
STARTUP_DEMO=
LOAD_SCENARIO_TOOLS=1
LoadCorePlugins=1
LoadWindow=1
LoadVirtualReality=1
EnableVirtualRealityOnStartup=0
EnableVoiceControl=0
EnableVoiceControlDebug=0
EnableViveProEyeTracking=0
[PointOfInterestSystem]
CycleSetting=0

This supposed to fix it change, does nothing, still crash to desktop....

All this has led me to absolutely hate P3D! For crying out loud, how is it that this late in the game, a sim, new install doesn't work and after trying to fix it like some have had success doing...its still broken..

I hate it, hate it, hate it...I just want to go flying and I have this issue on a new install.

Frustrated you bet.

Solutions are unknown, I have posted over at P3D....who knows when or how I will get this fixed....meanwhile I fire up my new install of XP11 and it works like a charm.

Fed up to here with this sim.

Bryan

Bryan Wallis aka "fltsimguy"

Maple Bay, British Columbia

Near CAM3

Hi Bryan,

I hear your frustration, X-Plane does seem to work without many issues.  Would a ghost image of the HD have helped in this case and got you back up and running in a shorter period of time?  I often wonder if it would be worth spending the money and be able to get my PC's to run within a few short hours using an image.

\Robert Hamlich/

IIRC, the "error creating child window" issue plagued P3D users a year or two ago, and ultimately the problem turned out to be caused by a Win 10 update, not P3D, and was fixed with another Win 10 update.

Is it possible that when you rebuilt your PC you used an old Win 10 install media (like the original USB stick that comes with Win 10)?  If so, it may need some updates.

You can create a bootable Win 10 install media on a thumb drive already updated to the latest version, see https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/15088/windows-10-create-installation-media

Regards

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

Get a program like Macrium Reflex which backs up your entire hard drive. I had a HD crash a couple of years ago, and I was up and running with a brand new hard drive in around 2 hours. Doesn't get easier than that. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320,    Milviz C 310 ,  FSLTL  

TrackIR   Avliasoft EFB2    FSI Panel ,  ATC  by PF3  , A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS

8 hours ago, HUSSAR said:

Hi Bryan,

I hear your frustration, X-Plane does seem to work without many issues.  Would a ghost image of the HD have helped in this case and got you back up and running in a shorter period of time?  I often wonder if it would be worth spending the money and be able to get my PC's to run within a few short hours using an image.

How helpful is a 'What you should have done' post? The guy is tearing his hair out, he doesn't need to be told what he should have done!

I'll get me coat.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

How long does it take for 'smug' to wear off after buying an EV?

"It’s easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled". Whoever said it wasn't wrong!

7 hours ago, w6kd said:

IIRC, the "error creating child window" issue plagued P3D users a year or two ago, and ultimately the problem turned out to be caused by a Win 10 update, not P3D, and was fixed with another Win 10 update.

Is it possible that when you rebuilt your PC you used an old Win 10 install media (like the original USB stick that comes with Win 10)?  If so, it may need some updates.

You can create a bootable Win 10 install media on a thumb drive already updated to the latest version, see https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/15088/windows-10-create-installation-media

Regards

Thanks for bringing this up, I forgot to mention.

I use Win7 Professional, my PC is now three years old and I have shut off all updates and rely on antivirus, firewall and malware protection...those have been faithful forever. I have no intention of moving to Win10. A year ago I upgraded the RAM from 16gigs to 32 gigs to accommodate the demands of XP11 ortho. I use process lasso to prioritize programs and with priority to P3D and XP I am having no issues, well except for this ridiculous issue.

And my previous P3D worked just fine, and this doesn't explain why or how I could have a working P3D new reinstall then after a couple weeks have this CTD issue with child window issue...its just weird.

Bryan

Near CAM3

12 hours ago, HUSSAR said:

Hi Bryan,

3 hours ago, Bobsk8 said:

Get a program like Macrium Reflex which backs up your entire hard drive. I had a HD crash a couple of years ago, and I was up and running with a brand new hard drive in around 2 hours. Doesn't get easier than that. 

I back almost everything up. But manually.

In the past I backed up FSX, earlier P3D issues but the size of my sims became staggeringly massive.

However, because of this event, I have purchased two new drives, one 6 terabyte one 8 terabyte to backup both sims....my XP11.3+ is already up and running and has been backed up.

I'm now waiting to get P3D "built" ie all the planes and freeware stuff I'm interested in and then back it up. This includes the config files and flt files and such on the root C directory.

But a program would be useful.

But now back to my issue, I'm still working on this trying different things but no joy.

Bryan

ADD

I have thought of replicating the sim doing another reinstall fresh and copying over all the stuff that I have installed on top as a solution.

Near CAM3

Hey folks....

Could an installation of Microsoft Visual C++ 2005, 2008 affect an install of P3D?

I note that what I have done recently is install new photoshow software which I see in my programs listing has installed or updated the above files...wondering?

Bryan

Near CAM3

I'd check that your default flight isn't opening with 2D panels, I remember seeing a few people that had child window issues with a 2D panel selected on a panel that doesn't use 2D panels.

If you haven't already, try renaming Prepar3D.cfg and let it rebuild with a default config. 

You said you loaded "them" w/r/t add-on acft--assuming you installed multiple acft, it could be something related to one of the others, even if you got the error trying to run the Duke.  Check your dll.xml files (there are two) and the exe.xml files (two of those as well) and make sure there are no duplicates across those files.

Regards

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

2 minutes ago, w6kd said:

I'd check that your default flight isn't opening with 2D panels, I remember seeing a few people that had child window issues with a 2D panel selected on a panel that doesn't use 2D panels.

If you haven't already, try renaming Prepar3D.cfg and let it rebuild with a default config. 

You said you loaded "them" w/r/t add-on acft--assuming you installed multiple acft, it could be something related to one of the others, even if you got the error trying to run the Duke.  Check your dll.xml files (there are two) and the exe.xml files (two of those as well) and make sure there are no duplicates across those files.

Regards

Hummm, interesting...I haven't changed the default flight or anything, it was with the stock Mooney out of Nanaimo airport, but I can go into the config files and change this just to check in case something is buggered.

I did delete the cfg test and rebuilt, not joy, then fired up the sim and CTD and changed the LoadVirtualReality=1 to 0 and fired up the sim and CTD so that didn't work unfortunately.

I removed the RealAir installs can't see any remnant files. But I will look at the xmls never though of those.

Near CAM3

Of for cripes sake.

So I try uninstalling the "client" and reinstalling...and I get this?

NB1QnIu.jpg

Its my computer, I'm the admin...I have never ever had this issue before, what in blazes is going on?

How do I fix this, right now I can't even reinstall the blasted client! I go to that location, for some reason the Shaders folder is locked, I can't remove it delete it, do anything with it.

Bryan

Edited by 1st fltsimguy
more info

Near CAM3

@1st fltsimguy, right-click the exe and choose Run As Admin.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Just now, Ray Proudfoot said:

@1st fltsimguy, right-click the exe and choose Run As Admin.

Holy cow, I feel like I'm back in grade school here.

I tried installing the client three times, each time using run as admin, so I had that one covered, and the third time, the error disappears and the darn thing reinstalls....I did nothing different, absolutely nothing different!

And this third time the installer finishes AND the sim scenario window opens...and everything is back to default settings...but firing up the sim and its loading....

Near CAM3

Good stuff Bryan. When you eventually move to W10 that right-click thing becomes second nature.😀

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

WOW!!!

Thanks for you patience folks.

This has been a weird experience.

It took deleting the p3d.cfg, and three attempts to reinstall (client only as this was a complete reinstall in the first place), I used run as admin on all three, and finally it worked and I have no idea why.

Then I had to fuss with all the settings again to get to my liking....and a reboot to get those blasted speed trees to disappear.

My sim is working again, thank you!

Bryan

• Like 2

Near CAM3