Sign in to follow this  
Zaakit

Best study-level aircraft apart from pmdg

Hello,

I wanted to know what are the best study-level aircraft you can get apart from pmdg? I already have their 777, but are they the only company where you can get aircraft close to real life?

I am also on mid-level PC so I am not interested in FSL

Thanks

Zaakit

The leonardo maddog is the only other airliner that I would consider comparable to FSL and PMDG, and I think the performance is the same or better than the pmdg 777.

• Like 2

Lian Li 011 Air Mini | AMD 7950X3D | Asus ROG STRIX B650E-F | Arctic Cooling Liquid Freezer II 280mm RGB | 2x32GB G.Skill DDR5-6000 | ASUS TUF RTX 4090 | Seasonic Prime Platinum 1000W | Varjo Aero

2 minutes ago, Pilot53 said:

The leonardo maddog is the only other airliner that I would consider comparable to FSL and PMDG, and I think the performance is the same or better than the pmdg 777.

I would argue that the Majestic Dash 8 Q400 Pro is at the very least on par with the others mentioned.

Best wishes!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 6

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

What Pilot53 said. Fly the Maddog  will keep you busy for a long time.

The Q400 is nice too. I just bought it for 64bit and am trying to get my head around the FMC. Very different from Boeings. Much study to do.

Vic green

If you're interested in a study level simulation that goes beyond the usual offerings for FSX/P3D have a look at PSX. (http://www.aerowinx.com/)

There is a short AVSIM thread here discussing the differences.  👍

MSI Pro Z690-A DDR4 | i5 13600KF | G.Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3600MHz | ASUS TUF RTX 3080 (12GB) | Samsung 980 M.2 NVMe 500GB | Samsung 980 M.2 NVMe 1TB | Samsung 850EVO 500GB | 2TB Seagate HDD | Deepcool AK500 CPU Cooler | Thrustmaster T16000M HOTAS | CH Yoke | Win 11 22H2 build | MSFS2020 |

Tony K.

2 hours ago, Zaakit said:

I am also on mid-level PC so I am not interested in FSL

I have the FSL product and have a look at my pc specs. I've compromised on my settings, yes, but I find that it is a worthwhile trade-off to enjoy the Bus. This is in FSX. The P3D version offers better performance (more optimised) plus the added bonus of it being a 64-bit sim with none of the dreaded OOM issues of the older generation.

Just my thoughts as I think it's a shame that you deny yourself the FSL experience.

Cheers.

MSI Pro Z690-A DDR4 | i5 13600KF | G.Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3600MHz | ASUS TUF RTX 3080 (12GB) | Samsung 980 M.2 NVMe 500GB | Samsung 980 M.2 NVMe 1TB | Samsung 850EVO 500GB | 2TB Seagate HDD | Deepcool AK500 CPU Cooler | Thrustmaster T16000M HOTAS | CH Yoke | Win 11 22H2 build | MSFS2020 |

Tony K.

you didn't mention if you're only interested in airliners... most of the A2A planes also qualify for 'study-level' status, in particular the engine/oil simulation and management is very sophisticated on their products.  they tend to be quite good on performance too.

cheers,-andy crosby

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

A2A planes are excellent indeed. The Connie is a real treat. If you like older airliners, the Aerosoft DC-8 is brilliant as well. Modern jets more or less fly by themselves once you have everything programmed. The DC-8 keeps you busy even while cruising.

Peter

Depends what you want to study in your 'study level' aeroplane. For example, the circuit breakers work on the Majestic Dash 8 Q400, making it one of the very few airliners for P3D/FSX which has that capability, so you could argue it was 'the most study level of all' if it was the operation of circuit breakers which was the thing you actually wanted to study.

Generally speaking, all of the 'usual suspects' will do the trick, i.e Majestic, FSL, iFly, PMDG, all those various Leonardo/TFDi DC9 derivatives, A2A, a lot of Aerosoft stuff (for example their DC-8, Antonov and Airbuses, a lot of Flight 1 stuff, MILVIZ etc. One suspects the forthcoming Just Flight Boeing 747-100/200 might do the trick too, if you like old bangers, as they do appear to be 'going for it' as far as realism is concerned.

Edited by Chock

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Already mentioned, but I support the choice of Leonardo Maddog MD82 and Majestic Q400.

Also, in its present status, after some initial issues already resolved, the TFDi B717 is a very interesting choice, not that complex if compared to PMDG, Leonardo and Majestic, but really a lovely simulation of the B717.

Cheers, Ed

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

An oldie but a goodie: Level-D 767.

Best regards,
Luis Hernández 20px-Flag_of_Colombia.svg.png20px-Flag_of_Argentina.svg.png

Main rig: self built, AMD Ryzen 5 5600X with PBO enabled (but default settings, CO -15 mV, and SMT ON), 2x16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, Nvidia RTX3060 Ti 8GB, 256 GB M.2 SSD (OS+apps) + 2x1 TB SATA III SSD (sims) + 1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (storage), Viewsonic VX2458-MHD 1920x1080@120 Hz, Windows 10 Pro. Runing FSX-SE, MSFS and P3D v5.4 (with v4.5 default airports).

Mobile rig: ASUS Zenbook UM425QA (AMD Ryzen 7 5800H APU @3.2 GHz and boost disabled, 1 TB M.2 SSD, 16 GB RAM, Windows 11 Pro). Running FS9 there... sometimes on just battery! FSX-SE also installed, just in case. 

VKB Gladiator NXT Premium Left + GNX THQ as primary controllers. Xbox Series X|S wireless controller as standby/travel.

Leonardo Maddog MD82 is the best choose. 😀

José Luís

| Flightsimulator: MSFS | Add-Ons: | PMDG Douglas DC-6 | PMDG 737-700 | Fenix A320 | Maddog X MD82| FSW CESSNA 414AW CHANCELLOR |

The Quality Wings 787 also deserves a mention - it may not quite reach PMDG standards but is nevertheless an excellent reproduction of this aircraft with significant systems depth. If you like classic jetliners the Just Flight VC-10 Professional is also worth considering with its 60s era systems being nicely replicated.

Bill