Sign in to follow this  
HiFlyer

Some Rift-S thoughts.

Rift-S:

Black screens, jitter, garbled flashes, usb issues?

Like many, I have had some moderate trouble with my Rift-S due to glitches seemingly centered around USB compatibility and power.

Recently I noticed that my motherboard (Aorus 5 z370) had several types of usb, divided between USB 2.0, 3.0, and 3.1 (both Gen 1 and Gen 2)

2.0 was an obvious wash, as was 3.1(Gen 1) as it had intermittent white flashes/scrambling & jitter. Plain old 3.0 was better, but only the Proprietary Asmedia 3.1 (gen 2) controller seemed to almost completely stabilize the headset, especially when I entered the Motherboard bios and utilized the included feature to up the voltage.

However, what utterly fixed the headset (no/flashes/jitter/etc EVER) was purchasing a usb 3.0 to Usb-c adaptor. The headset instantly settled down, and is now working as I suspect it was designed to, with no issues whatsoever, not even very quick ones like the flashes.

For those having glitches, this might be something to try for those with possible voltage/bandwidth difficulty and that have cards with usb-C outputshttps://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GGKYXVE/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

61WenvBNjzL._SL1273_.jpg

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Hiflyer, with that adaptor are you plugging it into the usb-c connector on your RTX2080TI?

49 minutes ago, glider1 said:

Hiflyer, with that adaptor are you plugging it into the usb-c connector on your RTX2080TI?

The one in the picture and in the link 😊

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

18 minutes ago, HiFlyer said:

The one in the picture and in the link 😊

I mean, are you plugging the usb-c into your RTX2080ti or into a usb-c plug on your motherboard?

1 hour ago, glider1 said:

I mean, are you plugging the usb-c into your RTX2080ti or into a usb-c plug on your motherboard?

In my case I went and plugged it directly into the 2080ti

• Like 1

Devons rig

...was purchasing a usb 3.0 to Usb-c adaptor.

You mean a USB Type-C to USB 3.0

I don't see any USB Type-C outlets on the back of my GTX1080Ti, or anywhere on my computer.

3 hours ago, signmanbob said:

You mean a USB Type-C to USB 3.0

I don't see any USB Type-C outlets on the back of my GTX1080Ti, or anywhere on my computer.

USB type-c is also known as virtualink, designed specifically for VR connections. You will only see it on the very latest graphics cards and computers.

For some unknown reason, which I suspect has to do with cost and the fact that it's not a widely distributed standard yet, most of the new headsets have decided to stick with USB 3.0, even though it's become more and more obvious that the increased bandwidth and power supply of virtual link is what's actually needed.

Despite the unfortunate delay in rolling it out, it's set to be the standard: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1072830/VirtualLink_USBC_Adapter_for_Valve_Index_Headset/

So what you would be looking for if you would go the route that I suggested would be a way to connect a USB 3.0 to a virtualink port.

• Like 1

Devons rig

On 6/5/2019 at 3:27 PM, HiFlyer said:

You will only see it on the very latest graphics cards and computers.

That explains it then.  My graphics card is probably about a year or so old.

4 hours ago, signmanbob said:

That explains it then.  My graphics card is probably about a year or so old.

Yup, but the actual release dates for the series is older.

GeForce GTX 1080 May 27, 2016

GeForce GTX 1080 Ti March 10, 2017

NVIDIA TITAN X August 2, 2016

Devons rig

https://venturebeat.com/2019/05/26/oculus-rift-s-how-to-fix-tracking-problems-and-blackouts/

The Oculus Rift S was released this week. However, some owners are experiencing tracking problems and other USB related issues such as blackouts.

The Rift S uses five onboard cameras for tracking. While some preprocessing seems to be done on the headset, the Rift S still pushes USB 3.0 to the limits. USB 3.0 is a widely used standard, but not all USB 3.0 controllers properly support it. This means that some motherboards may have issues.

If you’re having tracking issues such as the headset or controllers freezing in place, or you’re experiencing periodic “blackouts”, try one of these five potential solutions. We recommend trying them in order, as we’ve ordered them from the least time & effort required to the most.

Turn off USB power management

Windows has a feature which cuts power to USB ports it doesn’t think are being used. The problem is, sometimes this triggers a false positive and shuts down the USB port your VR headset is using.

To find the overall setting for this, search for ‘Edit power plan’ in the Start menu. When it opens, click ‘Change advanced power settings’:

AdvancedPowerSettings.png?w=420&resize=4

Now expand USB Settings and turn off USB Selective Suspend:

USB-SelectiveSuspend.png?w=404&resize=40

Next you’ll need to disallow Windows from turning off the Rift S specifically. Right click the Start button and click ‘Device Manager’. Expand ‘Universal Serial Bus controllers’ and right click each instance of ‘Rift S USB Hub’ then open Properties.

In the Power Management tab, uncheck ‘Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power’:

AllowUSBDisable.png?w=400&resize=400,455

You should also do this for all Hubs with ‘3.0’ or ‘SuperSpeed’ in the name, such as ‘Fresco Logic USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller’.

Try every USB port

Almost all motherboards have more than one USB controller. Different USB ports on it may be connected to different USB controllers.

The easiest way to find out which USB controller will work is to simply try plugging the Rift S into every USB port and seeing which has issues and which doesn’t. Strangely, one user had success with plugging it into USB 2.0 for around 30 seconds and then back into USB 3.0.

You may want to take a picture with your phone each time you change the port to more easily remember which ones you’ve already tried.

Note that you should also disconnect and reconnect the DisplayPort cable every time you switch USB port.

Reseat the cable

While it may seem hard to believe, some issues are just caused by the cable being loose. This can be either on the PC end or the headset end.

On the headset end you need to detach the facial interface to access the cable.

Make sure to disconnect the cable for five seconds before plugging it back in. This should also be done on the PC end, and here the USB port should be plugged in for five seconds before the DisplayPort.

Repair the Oculus software

Some tracking issues are actually caused by a corrupt install of the Oculus software. This can be solved with a repair.

1. Go to oculus.com/setup
  2. Click ‘Download Oculus Rift Software’ then run the downloaded file
  3. Click Repair

Don’t worry, your Rift games and save data should be unaffected.

Still having issues?

If you’re still having issues, your best bet is to create a detailed ticket with Oculus Support, including your Rift logs. Oculus has a forum post explaining how to collect these logs here.

Devons rig

Sorry Hi flyer you mean you found it worked best using the Nvidia USB C port on the RTX 2080 TI   just for the USB side of the rift and connected the Display port connector . If so did not know you could do that and may be worth ordering an apaptor to try .

• Like 1

Colin hodds

I7 9700K,nvidia 3090 ,ssd ,32gig 3200mhz ram ,win10,prep3d