Sign in to follow this  
Jovabra

VJoy and WIN10 version 1903 not a happy couple

For some flightsims i use the vJoy usb interface program but after the update of WIN10 it doesn't work.

Grt. Jo va Bra

It appears that Win 10 1903 is now enforcing a requirement for SHA-2 EV certificates for any kernel-mode driver (which includes vJoy), with the SHA-1 certs that previously allowed it to install now deprecated and no longer valid.

Shaul Eizikovich, the author of vJoy, said he has moved on and has no intention of updating (re-signing) the drivers.  So someone would have to pay the $220/yr fee for the certificate and recompile the open-source vJoy installer.  Others have observed that the Tobii eye-tracking hardware relies on vJoy for its interface to a number of fairly popular programs, including FSX:SE, American Truck Simulator, European Truck Simulator 2, etc.  Maybe they'll see fit to pay for a certificate for vJoy to keep their device working with those software titles.  Otherwise, Tobii users are going to have a nasty surprise waiting for them when they downgrade to 1903.

It's not clear yet whether enabling test signing (which puts a 3-line white text watermark in the bottom right corner of your screen) will work to get around the kernel-mode cert requirement.

My throttle quadrant relies heavily on vJoy, so this is big trouble.  I have Win 10 Pro (for "Problematic"), so I can hold off on the downgrade to 1903 for at least 6 months hoping that a solution will materialize.

Thanks, Micro$haft, you've done it to us again. 

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

Just another small nail in the coffin of flight sims. Over the years I have tried to be supportive of MS and even have been willing to overlook all the bashing of windows 10. I actually just bought a Steam Deck and installed VJoy as this combo makes a wonderful set up for G1000 buttons for my Vertx DA-62. LOL I got all the software and settings worked out just about 2 hours ago and now I see this. Well looks like another $150.00 flushed down the $$$$_hole again! I hope when the US Gov and all the other governments get  Google, Facebook and twitter shut down and the principles are put in jail where they belong Then maybe they will have time to put an end to the MS/Windows Cartel.  They all make the old Mafia look like a church social club and dating service. 

Edited by shivers9
  • Upvote 1

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/

On the vJoy github there's a fork created by "weeryan17" that's reported to be in the new Universal Windows Driver format ( https://github.com/weeryan17/vJoy ), and which is supposed to work on Win 10 1903 with Secure Boot disabled and test signing enabled.  One of the other users there got it to compile and said that it works, though via a somewhat convoluted install--first you attempt to install the old 2.1.8.39 version, allow that to run through and ultimately fail, then place the freshly-compiled new driver files into the install directory, then run the vJoy Configurator to install a device (again, with secure boot disabled and test signing enabled).

I haven't tried it yet, as I will probably continue to run 1809 for as long as I can (10-12 more months).  Users of Win 10 Home Edition are going to have the 1903 update forced on them soon, though, so I guess they'll get to be the captive guinea pigs.

This has had me gritting my teeth all day.

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

10 hours ago, w6kd said:

On the vJoy github there's a fork created by "weeryan17" that's reported to be in the new Universal Windows Driver format ( https://github.com/weeryan17/vJoy ), and which is supposed to work on Win 10 1903 with Secure Boot disabled and test signing enabled.  One of the other users there got it to compile and said that it works, though via a somewhat convoluted install--first you attempt to install the old 2.1.8.39 version, allow that to run through and ultimately fail, then place the freshly-compiled new driver files into the install directory, then run the vJoy Configurator to install a device (again, with secure boot disabled and test signing enabled).

I haven't tried it yet, as I will probably continue to run 1809 for as long as I can (10-12 more months).  Users of Win 10 Home Edition are going to have the 1903 update forced on them soon, though, so I guess they'll get to be the captive guinea pigs.

This has had me gritting my teeth all day.

I have not tried it yet but here is a page that lists a fix. https://help.tobii.com/hc/en-us/articles/360004028173--FIXED-vJoy-driver-fails-to-install-on-Windows-10-v1803-

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/

1 hour ago, shivers9 said:

That fix was for a different issue.  From reports across multiple forums, none of the current release versions of vJoy, including 2.1.8.39, will install successfully into Win 10 1903.

• Like 1

Sorry about that. I guess I read what I want it to say and not what is real. LOL!

Sam

I have found a vjoy driver update at the following link https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/windows-10-may-2019-update-has-been-released-to-the-public.255802/page-2#post-4059994

This requires you to run the latest driver for vjoy (which fails), then follow the instructions on the forum link given.

This works with testsigning on (which unfortunately leaves a watermark on the bottom right of the screen having restarted), or else disable driver signature enforcement in Windows 10. The latter option has to be selected every time you restart the computer and indeed every time after an initial boot.

vjoy will now work with Tobii Game Hub when running FSX-SE if using Tobii Eye Tracking and the vjoy device should now be recognized on the PC with Windows 1903.

I believe I read elsewhere that an updated, signed vjoy driver may be openly available within a week, so watch out on the internet for any news and where to download it from. The above does offer a workaround in the absence of more sophisticated processing which could be daunting for the less savvy until such time an updated, signed vjoy driver is available.

Hello all.  I am R-T-B, the developer of the above "hack" solution.  It's really just a recompile of honestly some really hacky code. I want to clean it up and do a lot better.

Yes, I am acquiring a code signing cert and will be producing signed vJoy builds soon.  How "Soon" depends on when my cert is issued and how much updating the code needs (the current solution to update it is really hacky, the commits don't make sense, and I really don't like how it works). 

I will announce my github repos and signed binary download in several places/threads shortly (I estimate about one week to get my code signing certificate together, they actually do a level of identity validation).  I am also working with the former vJoy author to perhaps arrange a redirect of some kind to my site.

As for my motivation:  I'm amazed by the amount of use cases vJoy has.  I personally use vJoy for a method to pipe input from a Xbox One controller to a DirectInput accepting application for purposes of mapping the "guide" button.  Quite a strange use, but that's what's cool about vJoy, it has a million uses and I consider it an essential application to keep updated for a healthy input device software ecosystem, hence my interest in keeping it updated.  It can be used for flight sims, macros, etc, whatever.  The sky's the limit if you know what you are doing.

Yes, to be clear I did fork out a little more than a hundred USD of money and will likely be forking out significant bandwidth to do this.  I am prepared.  I have no need for any donations but certainly would not turn any away for future signing purposes (current cert is only good for one year) once we have a working product.  I will let you know when that is, or you can keep an eye on my boring homepage which will likely become flashier once I have something worth hosting there, http://glacialsoftware.net

Thanks for reading.

-Raymond Beehler,

Glacial Software

• Like 1

Thanks again Raymond, and good to see you here.

Regards

• Like 1

Not a problem, thanks for giving me a platform to spread the word of what I'm trying to do. 🙂

I have another unsigned build up, not based on Weeryan17's fork.  I did use some of his changes, but cleaned them up significantly and did a lot of my own changed to bring it up to the latest WDK standards.  This build has the drawback of only working on 1903 and newer, but if you aren't on 1903, why bother with anything but the old builds anyhow?

It's still unsigned.  But the code is cleaner, and we finally have the build system working to the point where an installer can be made.  Get it here:

https://github.com/R-T-B/vJoy/releases

Note I changed the vjoy versioning scheme to have the first few version fields match the windows build number it is "mated" with.  The major version has been updated to "3" to represent this is a new build that won't work on anything old like 7/8/etc.  This new versioning system should help us keep on target in the future with Windows 10 builds always changing seasonally (you can always see what builds go with what windows build by the version), but it may break applications that depend on a certain specific version of vJoy.  I doubt any are dumb enough to do that but I've been surprised before.  Let me know if anyone is willing to test.

PS:  If the testmode watermark bothers people, I've used the following utility to remove the testmode watermark safely.  It does nothing bad in my experience (even sfc /scannow in windows agrees) and I've been using it as a developer for some time, but it may trip some antiviruses by virtue of the fact it does modify system files.  I am not the author just posting it for convenience as a vetted solution.

http://glacialsoftware.net/uwd.zip

Edited by R-T-B

Not quite sure what is going on, but simply using the driver update of https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/windows-10-may-2019-update-has-been-released-to-the-public.255802/page-2#post-4059994, when I logged in this morning the driver is fully functional in the absence of setting testsigning on or indeed any requirement to disable driver signature enforcement! I am only using vjoy for Tobii Eye Tracking in e.g. FSX-SE, but everything seems to work correctly.

Also, a question to R-T-B, if a word or two of explanation could be provided to the less computer-savvy amongst us on the subject of compiling the drivers from your latest release, please?

Edited by LecLightning56

5 hours ago, LecLightning56 said:

Also, a question to R-T-B, if a word or two of explanation could be provided to the less computer-savvy amongst us on the subject of compiling the drivers from your latest release, please?

If your not computer savy, you don't need to compile them.  You can just use a binary installer from the releases page.  I am surprised you don't seem to be using test mode though and have it working...  that's really weird.  Is this an upgrade install from several builds back or something?  I don't know what would make that happen but count yourself very lucky you don't have to mess with testsigning.

1 hour ago, R-T-B said:

If your not computer savy, you don't need to compile them.  You can just use a binary installer from the releases page.  I am surprised you don't seem to be using test mode though and have it working...  that's really weird.  Is this an upgrade install from several builds back or something?  I don't know what would make that happen but count yourself very lucky you don't have to mess with testsigning.

Thank you very much for stepping up and sharing you skills and knowledge with us. I have,  just in the last week, discovered the power of using Stream Deck with Vjoy for my home cockpit. Looking forward to your updates.

Sam