I am thinking of an upgrade. If I go from a 4790k to a 9900k do you think I will see much of a difference?

Thanks!

Rich.

My flight sim computer is currently being upgraded from an i7- 2600k to an i9-9900k and I should have it back a week today. That may be too late to help you but if it's not I am happy to report if I see any improvement. I am also installing 2Tb Samsung 970 evo plus SSD and 32Gb Corsair Vengeance 3000 Mhz so it may be difficult to precisely say how much of any improvement is just down to the CPU

• Like 1

Made the switch a few weeks ago from 4790k to 9700k.

There is a substantial improvement, but other points have to be considered: went from W7 to W10 and from 1080ti to 2080ti.

Substantial improvement isn't about fps it is about enjoying higher visual settings for the sims.

Cheers

Pierre

22 minutes ago, RICHUK said:

I am thinking of an upgrade. If I go from a 4790k to a 9900k do you think I will see much of a difference?

Thanks!

Rich.

There's not enough info to have an opinion one way or the other.  Will you see much of a difference running what?  FSX?  P3D?  XPlane?  Leisure Suit Larry?

Video card?  Display?  RAM??

Regards

• Like 1

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

I just made that leap... 4790k to 9900k. Also z390 mobo, 32 GB 3200 CAS14 RAM. I already had a 1080ti. Assuming you’re talking P3D, yes, I saw a great improvement.  

I use RTSS to sync to scanline x/2 on a 60hz tv at 4K. My toughest sceneries are getting a pretty solid 30ish FPS. The antialiasing and auto gen / scenery loading is the biggest improvement. 

Bruce

Edited by bbuckley
  • Like 1

[CPL]  I9-9900K @5.0GHz HT ON, Maximus XI Hero, ASUS TUF RTX4080 OC, 32GB DDR4 3200 14, 1TB NVMe SSD, 500GB SSD, 1TB HDD, 40" Samsung 4K TV, Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Logitech Rudder Pedals, WIN11

Thanks all.

Yes talking P3D, although Xplane and DCS too (this is a flight sim forum, no?). 

I know there are a lot of variables, but since P3D (and others) is so CPU dependent I wondered if the jump would be worth it. 

Bruce - your rig is pretty much what I had in mind. I also have a 108ti that I will re-use otherwise an upgrade for pretty much everything else.

Thanks all for the input.

Rich.

• Like 1

On 6/6/2019 at 5:37 AM, RICHUK said:

Thanks all.

Yes talking P3D, although Xplane and DCS too (this is a flight sim forum, no?). 

I know there are a lot of variables, but since P3D (and others) is so CPU dependent I wondered if the jump would be worth it. 

Bruce - your rig is pretty much what I had in mind. I also have a 108ti that I will re-use otherwise an upgrade for pretty much everything else.

Thanks all for the input.

-Rich.

Hi Rich,

I'm in a similar boat but w/ an even older CPU, a 3930K SB-E six core.  I should see about a 44% increase in single-thread performance which is huge and clearly very worthwhile.   Along w/ it my 6 y/o original GTX Titan will be replaced by something, most likely RTX 2080Ti.   As I did 6y ago I bought best in class everything and it's lasted 6y now and still runs P3D with liquid smooth video performance as long as I live within its limitations.  So likely I will cough up the cash for RTX 2080Ti as I will plan to use the next box for another 6y.  Hopefully everything will fit in my wonderful Coolermaster HAF-X full case.   If so, and w/ 32G of decent ram (bleeding edge ram is highly overrated for any serious role in P3D performance IMO) the cost/day buying 9900KS + RTX 2080Ti, and if it survives 6y of my kind of use which is A LOT, the cost per day comes in at a paltry $1.18 US or less.  

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

Hello Folks;

Ok so I am also thinking of upgrading from i7-4790K to i9-9900k. However the issue i have is my MB is the Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming 5 and the socket support is the LGA1150 which is what the i7-4790K is. However, the i9-9900k is.FCLGA1151

Did any of you had to change your MB to the for different socket support of 1151; since i am assuming that the 1150 MB would support the i9-9900k.

I am running FSX with great FPS and runs smooth so I am not looking to replace my entire rig until next year hopefully around the same time as the launch of the new MS Flight Sim. So for now I don't mind upgrading my processor for a little extra smoothness with a little more visual.

Thanks very much.

Kindest Regards.

Forshaw

4 minutes ago, forshaw said:

Hello Folks;

Ok so I am also thinking of upgrading from i7-4790K to i9-9900k. However the issue i have is my MB is the Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming 5 and the socket support is the LGA1150 which is what the i7-4790K is. However, the i9-9900k is.FCLGA1151

Did any of you had to change your MB to the for different socket support of 1151; since i am assuming that the 1150 MB would support the i9-9900k.

I am running FSX with great FPS and runs smooth so I am not looking to replace my entire rig until next year hopefully around the same time as the launch of the new MS Flight Sim. So for now I don't mind upgrading my processor for a little extra smoothness with a little more visual.

Thanks very much.

Kindest Regards.

Forshaw

If you are running FSX, I would suggest staying put for now.. the 9900k will require a new motherboard / memory / PSU?  For FSX... pure overkill IMHO. :cool:

• Upvote 1

Bert

9 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

If you are running FSX, I would suggest staying put for now.. the 9900k will require a new motherboard / memory / PSU?  For FSX... pure overkill IMHO. :cool:

Great. Understood, thanks Bert.

Forshaw.

46 minutes ago, forshaw said:

Yes. You will need new motherboard, and the 9900K can get hot if you overclock (which is the point of the K) so you'll need new cooler (I put in an H100 AIO (water)) and new, faster DDR4 memory. And as @Bert Pieke said you'll need to make sure your current PSU can handle the load (I didn't change since I had a Corsair 850W PSU).

Bruce

• Upvote 1

[CPL]  I9-9900K @5.0GHz HT ON, Maximus XI Hero, ASUS TUF RTX4080 OC, 32GB DDR4 3200 14, 1TB NVMe SSD, 500GB SSD, 1TB HDD, 40" Samsung 4K TV, Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Logitech Rudder Pedals, WIN11

2 hours ago, forshaw said:

...I am not looking to replace my entire rig until next year...

Then you should definitely wait.  There will be within the year new CPU's from Intel... and most interestingly AMD.  We might actually have some market competition after more than a decade of Intel calling all the shots (and prices).

Greg

51 minutes ago, lownslo said:

Then you should definitely wait.  There will be within the year new CPU's from Intel... and most interestingly AMD.  We might actually have some market competition after more than a decade of Intel calling all the shots (and prices).

Greg

Yeah, given the additional things mentioned that I would have to add (given that I am not experiencing any issues) I am going to stay put until next year. My rig is 5 years old, my cpu (i7-4790K ) is  overclocked to 4.4 and i have never had any instability issues. Of course I have a water cooler. I am running PMDG 747-8; iFLY 747 v2 all of my Airports are add-on, Active Sky 2016, DX10 (Steve Fixer); Rex 4 texture direct with soft clouds. I am actually getting 25-30 FPS into KJFK., around 20-25 with very heavy clouds, but it's smooth. I am still on FSX, Win 7 Pro, 

As you rightfully pointed out with new CPU from Intel, and others probably, within the next year, and with the upcoming new FS 2020 want to see how all of that plays together.

Cheers.

Forshaw.