Sign in to follow this  
Guest Bill Hinton

Landmark labels

Funny how group think works. I came here to post this idea, and I read the post regarding political boundaries :)Anyway, along those same lines, I was flying around DC, and I thought, wouldn't it be cool if the landmarks had text floating above them like the AI planes do. Toggleable, of course.Not being from the area, I was flying over all those buildings and wondering what they were.I'm thinking it would be good to have toggleable categories as well.Thomas[a href=http://www.flyingscool.com/FC_StartJava.html] http://www.flyingscool.com/images/Signature.jpg [/a]I like using VC's :-)

Tom Perry

Signature.jpg

>Not being from the area, I was flying over all those buildings>and wondering what they were.>>I'm thinking it would be good to have toggleable categories as>well.EZ-Landmark from Abacus will do that for you... ;)

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

no, it wouldn't be cool.The only reason I keep the labels on AI aircraft turned on is because they're so darn hard to spot (far harder than real aircraft at the same distance).Get a good map or road atlas instead.

It's ok, as long as such a feature was optional. I would consider using it if it was possible to toggle labeln in flight. I never use labels myself. It's a matter of taste...

Well I think it would be pretty neat! I used to have the abacus program for 2002 but didn't choose to upgrade to 2004 due to a steep upgrade price and a few other reasons...As I use the sim to practice going to places I haven't been to before the real trips it is very useful to see landmarks,names and where they are. Since the sim is not detailed enough (probably even worse than spotting ai aircraft-which can be just as hard to find in real life) , to have these landmarks depicted in the scenery so that you can locate with a map, or see visually this can be very useful. Toggle off like ai aircraft labels if you don't want it-but it would be a neat addition. http://mywebpages.comcast.net/geofa/pages/rxp-pilot.jpg

I agree, i've often missed this in FS9. What's that river there? Is this the mount everest or is it the other one? I would have them off by default and toggle them on for a quick look to learn.Eric

MSI MPG Z490 Gaming Plus | Intel Core i9-10900K @ 5.3GHz | 64GB Corsair Vengeance | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3090 | 500 GB M.2 NVMe for win | 2TB M.2 NVMe for FS2020 | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo | Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog

Eric from EHAM, a flying Dutchman.

>> I agree, i've often missed this in FS9. What's that river there? Is this the mount everest or is it the other one?I solve this problem by running a moving map program hooked up to Flight Sim. I can identify most geographic and man-made features simply by looking at the moving map (DeLorme Street Atlas is what I use, but many other products work the same).Bruce

Guest Bill Hinton

Thomas,The Fly! program has such a feature where one can select a range finder which shows the distance to various objects including buildings, the moon, the sun and other stars. Also, in a highly detailed scenery, it shows the names of various buildings. In addition, it has a moving map (Sectional Chart) for whatever area in which you are flying. It has a vector display which shows airports, VOR,s and NDB's.Microsoft Flight Simulator Developers are probably aware of that program and could possibly benefit from some of the features, unless there might be a conflict with the producers of Fly!.They are approaching Fly!'s cockpit display with MSFS virtual cockpit, but not quite as good (IMHO).