Sign in to follow this  
BEAR

Nobody picks up the phone for my FSS CLR !

Hi all,
Suddenly I have a problem with "Uncontrolled Airports"! (RC4.3). After listening to the option "2-FSS WX", I go for options 4 or 5 ["CLR by FSS" or "CLR in AIR"] ... But nothing happens? Options 4, 5 do NOTHING !
What is going on ? Am I forgetting something ?
Greetings, Guus.

Paradigit® 25th Anniversary Edition 2017 | Windows® 10 Home vs.20H2 | Proc.: ACPI x64 | CPU: Intel® Core i5-7400 3 Ghz. | RAM: 16 Gb | Intel® HD Graphics 630 64 Gb | Chipset: Intel® 300 SATA AHCI | Hard Disk 1: Kingston SUV 40037 480 Gb SSD | Hard Disk 2: ST 1000 DM SATA GPT 1 Tb.

RC4.3 PLUS FSX Acceleration reinstalled today ...
With no possibility I get the options "4-CLR by FSS" and / or "5-CLR in Air" working !?
The only thing that works is "2-FSS WX". At first I thought it was my (first time) AIRAC update to 1906, but now with a "Clean" FSX (with original FSX AIRAC) no success either. Also read the manual 34 x ... If I have telephoned FSS for the Wx, you can immediately (once you have determined the departure runway) call FSS again for your CLR ! Or in the sky. Is it not ! My creativity is exhausted!
Can someone help me .... Please

Sincerely,
Guus.

Paradigit® 25th Anniversary Edition 2017 | Windows® 10 Home vs.20H2 | Proc.: ACPI x64 | CPU: Intel® Core i5-7400 3 Ghz. | RAM: 16 Gb | Intel® HD Graphics 630 64 Gb | Chipset: Intel® 300 SATA AHCI | Hard Disk 1: Kingston SUV 40037 480 Gb SSD | Hard Disk 2: ST 1000 DM SATA GPT 1 Tb.

Guus, sorry but I never use RC4 in VFR mode. You say 'suddenly I have a problem...'. Something has changed on your system and only you are best placed to know what changes you have made. Maybe others who use RC4 in that mode can assist but if not I can only suggest you refer to the manual. That's all I can do too.

Try different airports. You don't say if you've done that. That's what I would do.

Edited by Ray Proudfoot

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Hi Ray,

Thank you so much for your comment !!! I really appreciate this!
Why do you think it's a VFR flight ? It is TUT 8 "KDRO - KPVU (KSLC)", an IFR flight. A VFR flight can only be started in the FSX Flight Planner, isn't it ? RC4.3 cannot determine at any other location whether it is a VFR or IFR flight, isn't it !
The problem started when I made a flight within Iceland. As a "check flight" I have ao. TUT 8 taken. This is also a flight from an "Uncontrolled" airport.
It may indeed be an OS "Problem" because the problem did not occur before. I have changed some settings of FSUIPC 4,974. Maybe that is a cause?!
What also happens is that the "Green message bar [single line message] indicates the number 4! This is also the menu item for" 4-CLR by FSS " ! Is this an (internal) error message ? If I press the " 1 or 3 " button, I get the message" N / A ". This is correct because those items are not there. However, if I press 4 or 5, then nothing happens ... (similarly if items 7, 8, 9, 0. This is also correct because those items are not there.) SO ONLY the items that I need DO NOT work (except item
"2-FSS WX" , which works) ...

Greetings, Guus.

My apologies Guus. I saw "Uncontrolled Airports" in your first post and linked it with a VFR flight. As I have never flown VFR I don't know how those are best created, sorry.

Anyway, if it's an IFR flight then the options available to you are determined by the frequencies and facilities available at the departing airport. Looking at f5.csv in the data folder that holds this info I have this:-

KDRO,0,0,"Durango-La Plata Co"
KDRO,3,122.80,"DURANGO-LA PLATA CO"
KDRO,4,122.80,"DURANGO-LA PLATA CO"
KDRO,10,118.57,"DENVER"
KDRO,11,122.35,"DENVER"
KDRO,13,120.62,""

Using NotePad++ (freely available on the internet) use it to open your version and paste what you have. Don't use Excel (if you have it) because it can corrupt those files.

If you don't have a f5.csv file the info will be in the f4.csv. You have the latest version of FSUIPC so that should not be an issue. If you have installed KDRO as a 3rd party addon you need to rebuild the database in RC4. If applicable have you done that?

Edited by Ray Proudfoot

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Hi Ray,

Thank you for your response !
At "f4.csv" I found only 1 item from "KDRO" [KDRO, Durango-La Plata Co, 0,0,0,0,122.8,0,0,0], and not 6 as in your example. I don't understand things !? KDRO is a UNcontrolled airport without any transmitting installations. This is also confirmed with the "Controller Info". A telephone connection has no transmission range. (FSX thinks so?!).
What I [Unfortunately] noticed today is that MANY MORE items do not work for me! "7-to-acknowlidge" and "CS / to tepeat" and "1-CLR by CD on 13415" (TUT 1) etc.
I checked "Keyboard Definitions" and that was OK. It seems that my RC4.3 has problems finding and executing the items.

Guus.

Hi Guus,

Firstly, I don't have FSX so it seems P3D has different airport data to FSX. Second, looking at f4.csv I too have a single entry albeit slightly different to yours. Don't worry about my f5.csv - that's modified for P3D only.

KDRO,Durango-La Plata Co,0,122.35,0,0,122.80,122.80,0,0

Have you got other 3rd party utilities that use keyboard commands? I suspect you have a clash somewhere. I suggest you run only FSX and RC4 and if your keyboard definitions work then introduce your other utilities one at a time until you discover the clash. Then change those key commands if able.

You didn't say if you have 3rd party scenery for KDRO and whether you have rebuilt your database. I suggest you rebuild anyway.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Hi again Guus,

I've created a plan from KDRO to KPVU and Wx and CLR and GND were available to me. Rebuild your RC Database. See if that helps.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Just taken off on 02 and at 4 miles out instructed to contact Denver Centre on 118.57.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Hi Ray,

Thanks for your help. First of all, forget my possible error about that "item 4". I found out that it has nothing to do with this problem ! It just was the last charater of the "Display Text" that says the QNH 29.9 4 . The 4 at a new line ...

I have 5 Scenery items involving KDRO.

--------------------------------------------------

0202 Base                C:\FSX\Scenery\0202\scenery\APX19180.bgl

---------------------------------------------------
ORBX!VECTOR_APT            C:\FSX\ORBX\FTX_VECTOR\FTX_VECTOR_APT\scenery\APT_KDRO.bgl

FTX_ZZ_GLOBAL_AIRPORTS        C:\FSX\ORBX\FTX_GLOBAL\FTX_FTXG_AIRPORTS\Scenery\ADE_FTX_FTXG_KDRO.BGL

------------------------------------------------
FSAD_Approaches            D:\fsAerodata Files\Navigation Data\FSX\PROC\scenery\KDRO.BGL

-------------------------------------------------
FSAD_Comms            D:\fsAerodata Files\Navigation Data\Comms\scenery\FSAD_comms.BGL

And yes I updated FSX database (again) with "fsAaerodata" to AIRAC 1906 also updated LittleNavMap and last-but-not-least RC4.3 "Rebuild Scenery DB". I use "REX SkyForce", "FS Real Time" and ASE [Weather Generator]. I (still) use FSX "Settings - Controls" instead of "FSUIPC - Buttons and Switches".
I will check more in detail if there could be a "Clash" in keyboard definitions somewhere.

Tomorrow I will fly your example-flight KCRO[02] - KPVU and will see what happens after 4 NM ... So leaving without CLR = only VFR VMC. Your choice was "5- CLR in air" I suppose.

Regards,
Guus.

Hi Guus,

That’s quite a list for such a minor airfield. The first entry is obviously the default FSX airport. I’m using the P3D equivalent which has frequencies for ATIS, Clearance, Ground and Tower but most of those share the same frequency.

The second applies to ORBX Vector but I don’t know if the BGL contains any frequencies. The third entry is likely to be the one that is being scanned by MakeRwys so it’s important it’s close to the top of scenery library when viewed in FSX. That means it has a higher priority than the default.

I’m not familiar with FSAerodata. Does it have entries in scenery library? Are they higher than the ORBX layer? If they are that could be significant.

For your test using the RC menu run just FSX and RC4. Forget weather as we don’t want to introduce anything that could interfere with button presses.

When MakeRwys runs it generates a huge text file in the main FSX folder named Runways.txt. Use Notepad++ to open it and search for KDRO. The last entries will take precedence over earlier ones.

The last entries are the ones being used by RC4. Copy and paste those into your reply.

Edited by Ray Proudfoot

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Hi Ray,

Thank you for your detailed explanations !
I am busy with the / your various possibilities, but it is getting only worse and worse !!! TUT 8 is not working properly. Not even in the sky after airborn. ! Only "2-WX" works well.
All the scenery files around KDRO are indeed VERY many ! In FSX there is no runway 02 and 20 anymore, but 03 and 21 ... The airport is now about 10 feet lower then the rest ... I catch finding what scenery I can use best.
"Runways.txt" is OK ! I don't know what you mean by "the Last Entry", so I send several.

*    ORBX\FTX_VECTOR\FTX_VECTOR_AEC\scenery\AEC_KDRO.bgl
*    Airport KDRO N37:09:05.4377  W107:45:13.5698  6650ft
              FSM A/P KDRO, lat=37.151516, long=-107.753769, alt=6650
*    Airport KDRO N37:09:05.4377  W107:45:13.5698  6683ft
          Runway 3 /21  centre: N37:09:05.4377  W107:45:13.5650  6683ft
              Computed start 3 : Lat 37.141476 Long -107.763365
              Computed start 21 : Lat 37.161549 Long -107.744172
              Hdg: 37.310 true (MagVar 11.700), ASPHALT, 9201 x 150 ft
              Primary ILS: IDRO  109.10 , Flags: GS BC
*    ORBX\FTX_VECTOR\FTX_VECTOR_APT\scenery\ABP_KDRO.bgl
*    ORBX\FTX_GLOBAL\FTX_FTXG_AIRPORTS\scenery\ADE_FTX_FTXG_KDRO_CVX.bgl
*    ORBX\FTX_GLOBAL\FTX_FTXG_AIRPORTS\scenery\FTX_FTXG_KDRO_objects.bgl

What is the best way to compare "Vectors" with? With Landclass or Mesh or .....

This link  http://c-aviation.net/fsx-scenery-library-order-orbx-global/ is OK but is different from what I have used over the past 20 years ...
A positive message is that previously saved RC4.3 files from, for example, TUT 2, RC4.3 COMPLETELY WORKS !!! All functions, buttons, commands etc. work as it should be ! You will hear from me. We can also maintain private email contact.

Guus.

Hi Guus,

You'll appreciate that situation is difficult for me as I have neither FSX nor ORBX KDRO. So I cannot replicate your problem.

I can only guide you as to the correct things to do to ensure RC4 works with addon scenery. That link you provided gives guidance on how the various scenery addons you have should be ordered in scenery library. For the few ORBX products I have the ordering follows their guidance so if you don't have yours setup that way please do so.

Over time changes in magnetic variation mean runway headings will change. The default runways for KDRO were set in 2005. ORBX has updated them to the correct designations.

I don't have Vectors but I believe it only adds additonal roads etc. It does not include Airports. Landclass and Mesh are just for enhanced terrain. They contain no airport data.

So please do this:-

Check your scenery library is the same as the guidance in the link. Airports at the top, Landclass / Terrain further down and default stuff at the bottom.

Make sure you have the latest MakeRwys v4.8.7.2 available here. https://forum.simflight.com/topic/66136-useful-additional-programs/

Place KDRO at the top of scenery library.

Start FSX and let it rebuild its indexes. Close it down and open Radar Contact. Rebuild the database.

Open f4.csv and find the entries for KDRO. Paste them into your reply.

There's no point in private emails since others who may have a similar problem won't know how it was solved.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Hi,

Again, thanks for your responses.
I will put together the "Scenery DataBase" as well as possible.
I understand that continuing within the forum provides a more complete picture for others. No problem. [Hopefully with a good ending ...]. Maybe others also have interesting additions !  
Thanks for the "MakeRwys" update link ! I still had an old version.
I also understand that it must be difficult for you to give advice about software that you do not use. I am very happy with what you are telling me!
Actually the problems are getting bigger ... The "fsAearodata" update for FSX from NavAids 2005 to 2019 has now made ALL the VORs "invisible" ... So for now just put the old DataBase back ... I will focus more on why my previously saved flights within RC4.3 work well, and the new ones don't work.
I tried to make a completely new IFR flight with RC4.3 to see if the problem is related to KDRO. A flight in a Cessna 172 within Denmark.
However with the same problems. Items 4 - 5 do not work ! And AGAIN, I now believe that the "4" constant message in the green "Single Line Message" indicates an error message !!!
I just have to sleep 1 night to processing ALL those "Set Backs without" a real solution. Those are difficult for me ...

Greetings, Guus.

In the main general options page for FSUIPC make sure the option for a multi-line menu is set.  I have not "flown" for some time but I recall that was a common setup problem.