Sign in to follow this  
BEAR

Nobody picks up the phone for my FSS CLR !

Hi Guus,

This is getting very difficult to analyse. In your first post you said “Suddenly I have a problem with uncontrolled airports...”. What changed on your system? That could be the reason.

Try this plan. EGCC HON WCO BNN EGLL.

That is a very simple plan from one controlled airport to another. Feed those waypoints into FSX planner. Locate your aircraft to EGCC and tell me what frequencies RC4 gives you. No need to fly the route. Just get airborne and wait until you’re told to contact Departure. Then you can abandon it and report back.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Hi Ray and Ronzie,

Thanks you for your advice Ronzie. I have checked the "Multiline Display Window" and it was checked.
Yes, Ray, indeed a system change seems to be the cause! However, I don't know the exact moment of the change anymore ... (I spend 11 hours a day at the PC ...)

RC4.3 EGCC
Wx Brf: 128.17
Clearance: 121.70
Ground: 125.37
Tower: 119.52
Departure: 126.65
Approach: 126.65

Center: 118.77

COM: Type = 8 (APPROACH), Freq = 118.57, Name = "MANCHESTER RADAR"
          COM: Type = 8 (APPROACH), Freq = 119.52, Name = "MANCHESTER RADAR"
          COM: Type = 8 (APPROACH), Freq = 121.35, Name = "MANCHESTER DIRECTOR"
          COM: Type = 1 (ATIS), Freq = 121.97, Name = "EGCC"
          COM: Type = 1 (ATIS), Freq = 128.17, Name = "EGCC"
          COM: Type = 7 (CLEARANCE), Freq = 121.70, Name = "MANCHESTER"
          COM: Type = 5 (GROUND), Freq = 121.70, Name = "MANCHESTER"
          COM: Type = 5 (GROUND), Freq = 121.85, Name = "MANCHESTER"
          COM: Type = 5 (GROUND), Freq = 125.37, Name = "MANCHESTER"
          COM: Type = 6 (TOWER), Freq = 118.62, Name = "MANCHESTER"
          COM: Type = 6 (TOWER), Freq = 119.40, Name = "MANCHESTER"

A "new" development is: I start TUT 1, KDSM and make this an uncontrolled airport. THEN item 4-5 works FINE !!! ??? I can ask FSS for a CLR. and he/she are requested to indicate a TAXI / RWY etc.!

It seems more and more that RC4.3 works well. But RC4.3 cannot make the "switch" to an FSS CLR (in the air or on the ground). WHAT (PC) info does this controller NEED is the question he/she does NOT get ...
Are those still FSX: Frequencies, or AIRAC, or FSUIPC, or saved files with ";" or with "Ctrl-Shft;" ...

Greetings from Guus.

Paradigit® 25th Anniversary Edition 2017 | Windows® 10 Home vs.20H2 | Proc.: ACPI x64 | CPU: Intel® Core i5-7400 3 Ghz. | RAM: 16 Gb | Intel® HD Graphics 630 64 Gb | Chipset: Intel® 300 SATA AHCI | Hard Disk 1: Kingston SUV 40037 480 Gb SSD | Hard Disk 2: ST 1000 DM SATA GPT 1 Tb.

Hi Guus. That tells me there’s nothing fundamentally wrong with RC4.

As far as uncontrolled airports are concerned I have zero knowledge of how you interact with RC4 at those. It’s probably not a user choice but one dependent on which frequencies are available in f4.csv which is created by MakeRwys.

Doesn’t the tutorial in the manual explain the difference between a controlled and uncontrolled airport? If no ATIS or Clearance then I’m guessing it’s treated as uncontrolled.

I don’t understand your last sentence, sorry.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

My meaning of the last sentence are possible causes who lead to this problem.

Partly yes. No ATIS (no transmitting equipment)  means: contact FSS for weather and CLR. Un-controlled means [in my opinion], no transmitting equipment to make 2-way communication with the airfield possible.

I will continue to solve this HARD Problem ... For now Ray, thanks for your pleasant contribution !

Regards, Guus.

Paradigit® 25th Anniversary Edition 2017 | Windows® 10 Home vs.20H2 | Proc.: ACPI x64 | CPU: Intel® Core i5-7400 3 Ghz. | RAM: 16 Gb | Intel® HD Graphics 630 64 Gb | Chipset: Intel® 300 SATA AHCI | Hard Disk 1: Kingston SUV 40037 480 Gb SSD | Hard Disk 2: ST 1000 DM SATA GPT 1 Tb.

Hi Guus. You can eliminate FSUIPC as a potential cause of the problem. Same with the AIRAC data from Navigraph. I have a similar subscription from them for FMS data and there are no entries in scenery manager for it. Having the latest MakeRwys is important.

RC4 gets its information from MakeRwys which in turn gets it by scanning all BGLs from the folders listed in scenery.cfg. The priority of those entries is important. Scenery layers that have higher numbers take precedence over those with lower numbers.

So your addon ORBX airport - KDRO - should have a higher layer number than the default entry. That ensures the frequencies in its AFCAD BGL are used. You can check this by installing ADE (freeware) and loading the AFCAD BGL. It will have a name that includes ADE plus the airport ICAO - KDRO.

Hope that helps.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

THAT is a very good summary Ray ! I will follow this info correctly to the number.

You talk about "Higher numbers", probably you mean higher PRIORITY, which have LOWER numbers ... [Highest Priority = Lowest number (1)]. Defaults say something like: 161, ORBX say 26. Am I right ?

Guus.

Guus, If you open scenery library in FSX the scenery last installed appears first with a priority of 1. But look at that entry in scenery.cfg and it has the highest Layer number and is at the end of the file.

The contents of that file are effectively shown upside down in FSX. Looking at scenery library in FSX a priority number of 1 has greater priority than one of 10.

Edited by Ray Proudfoot

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Ray, My "scenery.cfg" is a static file from 22-08-2007. No ORBX or any other Add-On ?! I was expecting an up-to-date file with all Add-Ons present. And what should I check within (just installed) ADE ? The "Lists - Libraries Used" says "No Third Party Objects Used". I can not find info about "scenery library" [KDRO]. I update everything again to AIRAC 1906 .RC4.3, LittleNavMap and FSX. Again lots of "Ups and Downs" on KDRO Airfield, 4 scenery layers involved. and no VOR's at all in FSX ...

Guus. As far as I recall FSX does not have the option for scenery to be installed as an 'addon' as it can in P3D. I suggest you raise the question on the ORBX forum.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

There is an f4.csv in your sim folder. Backup your f4.csv in your RC/data folder and copy the one in your sim folder  to your rc4\data folder. This version in your sim folder is made by makerwys from your scenery files.

In your sim folder there is a file called runways.txt created by makerws.exe. That is a very large file which is a log of what makerwys has performed. The last entry section for your airport of interest is the one that has priority. Use a text editor (not notepad but winwors and search for I think "airport ICAO" until you get to the last one or two sections (two sections for an add-on and one for original scenery) until you find the last entries for that ICAO.

Hi Ronzie,

Thanks again for your response. Just tonight I read an interesting similar discussion of yours with "djgodden" from 2008 [  https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/99965-fss-wx-and-clearance-and-rc-not-going-to -next-ftp /  ].

I have copied the "f4.cvs" file to RC4.3.
So sorry, but I do not understand what you mean by the last entry ? Entry of KDRO in "runways.txt" ? And what should I find and edit ?

I have 3 serious problems with FSX / RC4.3 at the moment:
1. I don't get a CLR response from FSS at uncontrolled airports (item 4-5).
2. KDRO is approximately 10 feet lower than the environment (ORBX).
3. My update to AIRAC 1906 means that I no longer have VORs within FSX.

I suppose you're trying to explain whether KDRO and FSX VORs have the right place (layer numbers) in my "Scenery-DataBase".

The good news is that I have found the right "Scenery.cfg". Not in the FSX root, but in "MS ProgramData DIR" (hidden file).

Greetings, Guus.

I think the fsAerodata navaid and fsAerodata comm entries should be just above the base scenery layers and below all your add-on sceneries in the scenery.cfg.  Otherwise they will override what is set in the various add-on airport (ADE/AFX/AFCAD) files.  It looks like you have them placed above your add-on scenery.  Check with fsAerodata to be sure, as I do not use that data.

When you run makerwys, it creates an updated f4.csv file with comm radio data in your FSX root folder, but the "Rebuild Scenery DB" feature in RC4 does not automatically copy that file as it does for the others...that one has to be copied manually after makerwys has been run with the scenery.cfg properly configured.  Normally the comm freq data does not change much, but the recent incorporation of the fsAerodata databases introduces more changes to that data now.

I looked at the ORBX FTX Global KDRO ADE file, and there are FSS (122.35) and Denver Ctr (118.575) frequencies active in the airport file.  You shouldn't be seeing an FSS phone clearance option at all there.

The f5.csv file is not relevant to RC4.  As I understand it, that file was created for the now defunct Radar Contact v5 when it was being developed.

Having the airfield below the surrounding terrain is an elevation issue probably related to Orbx Vector.  It could also be that you are using a third-party terrain mesh that is not consistent with the (usually default) elevation data used to build the airport file.  Either way, normally that's solved with the AEC settings in Vector. 

Having scripted responses that appear in the Simconnect window but are not responsive usually means that another program, or even FSX itself, is intercepting the keystrokes before RC43 sees them.  Check the controls menu keyboard assignments and make sure that there are no assignments for any of the numeric keys 0-9.  Also make sure you don't have a gauge or other program that has direct keyboard input enabled.  Another alternative troubleshooting step is to try changing the key assignments for the nonresponsive menu options to something else, like perhaps CTRL-SHFT-4 instead of 4, for example. 

Regards

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

Hello everyone,

Thank you for your contributions ! I really appreciate this !

With the AIRAC 1906 there is just transmitting equipment available [KDRO] and therefore NO reason for telephone contact with FSS! What I ABSOLUTELY DO NOT UNDERSTAND is that the DEFAULT Tutorial 8 of RC4.3 is about an UNcontrolled airport (with frequencies disabled) ! Both with the default FSX AIRAC from 2005 and the new one from 2019 have ALWAYS been sending facilities. WHY then such a tutorial ??? !!!
There is just something wrong with FSS and frequencies that [in my opinion] should NOT be on an uncontrolled airport ! A telephone HAS NO frequency !

What remains is my problem with the "disappearance" of All FSX VORs after I installed AIRAC 1906! I have quite "fussed" with my "Scenery Library" [I-net, ORBX forum] to improve/get the right sequence (?), but haven't found a solution yet.

After 57 hours of trouble shooting without result I will have a "break" ...
I brought the "FSAD_APPROACHES" (fsAreoData) to a lower priority (higher number) [Thanks, "w6kd"]. And that solved my problem with the height difference [KDRO] !!! But is NOT TRUE ANYMORE ...
@ the moment I am "glad" with FSX DEFAULTS from 2005, NO add-on scenery, No small uncontrolled airfields RC4.3.
Thanks Guys. "Talk" to you later ...
Greetings, Guus.

Hi,
Re-installed EVERYTHING of FSX + ADD-ONs again because I did not know what was going on!
Now "everything" in order again ... With FSX & RC4.3. The AIRAC 1906 is "I believe" OK now. I now understand more about the relationship between the various * .csv files between FSX & RC4.3. Some FIRST backup, and what to put back in case of problems.
Thank you again for your contributions!

Greetings, Guus.

That’s good to hear Guus. 😁

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather