Sign in to follow this  
mwilk

Rift S and RTX 2080

I've been using the Rift S for about a week now. I'm currently running a 6700k @ 4.2GHZ and a GTX 1070. Overall I get pretty good performance until I fly into a more dense area or airport. I then start to get artifacts and stutters. How much of a difference would bumping up to a RTX 2080 make?

NAX669.png

7 hours ago, mwilk said:

I've been using the Rift S for about a week now. I'm currently running a 6700k @ 4.2GHZ and a GTX 1070. Overall I get pretty good performance until I fly into a more dense area or airport. I then start to get artifacts and stutters. How much of a difference would bumping up to a RTX 2080 make?

What sim are you running mwilk? Also, what sort of performance do you mean? There are 2 performance criterion:

• head tracking FPS
  • simulator FPS depending on whether scenery is loading or not

It is entirely possible to have 80Hz head tracking and 20Hz simulator FPS. I'll take a guess that you are on P3D. If so, flying into dense airport is a simulator scenery loading situation which is a CPU limitation not a GPU limitation. Therefore upgrading to a 2080 will not work. Your best bet would be an upgrade to a 9700k (not a 9900k which is a waste of money) and then consider a 2080( or ti). Remember, I'm assuming you are on P3D. Do not buy a 1080ti.

EDIT: Even with a 9700k/2080ti you still may not be satisfied.

Edited by glider1
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, glider1 said:

What sim are you running mwilk? Also, what sort of performance do you mean? There are 2 performance criterion:

• head tracking FPS
  • simulator FPS depending on whether scenery is loading or not

It is entirely possible to have 80Hz head tracking and 20Hz simulator FPS. I'll take a guess that you are on P3D. If so, flying into dense airport is a simulator scenery loading situation which is a CPU limitation not a GPU limitation. Therefore upgrading to a 2080 will not work. Your best bet would be an upgrade to a 9700k (not a 9900k which is a waste of money) and then consider a 2080( or ti). Remember, I'm assuming you are on P3D. Do not buy a 1080ti.

EDIT: Even with a 9700k/2080ti you still may not be satisfied.

Thanks for your reply. I use both P3D and XP 11. Most of the time performance is pretty good. (smoothness) Last night I flew into Flightbeam's KSFO and I was getting some (Pixelating?) on approach even though is was fairly smooth. That was with the PMDG NGX. The FSL A320 is more of a resource hog and will bog down a lot faster. I guess I'm just looking for more headroom when the scenery gets intense.

NAX669.png

I think the pixelating you were getting was ASW kicking in to rescue your 1070 card. You will definitely need to think CPU before GPU.

• Like 1