Sign in to follow this  
PBest

XP11 Drive install Advice

Hi Guys - I have just finished building a new system (details below) and will be reinstalling my old FSX - and XPlane11 for the first time and would appreciate advice as to which drives to install it on.

I have three drives, the two 1 TB M2 drives and a Samsung 500GB 850 Pro SSD. This machine will be a stand alone for both Sims and also for CAD work using SOLIDWORKS. I've also been forced to upgrade from Win7 64Bit to Win10 Pro 64bit.

My first thoughts are to install Win10 and SOLIDWORKS on one of the M2 Drives and both FSX and XPlane 11 on the other M2 but would appreciate advice as to any potential conflicts runing both off the same drive. If there is any problem or conflict I could run FSX from the Samsung SSD as my understanding is that FSX only benefits in loading times from a SSD and 500Gb would leave plenty of overhead.  Any advice / experience would be appreciated.

Cheers Pete

Win 10 Pro 64bit - CPU Intel i7 9700K 5.1GHz - Cooler Noctua NH-D15 - MoBo Asus Z390 Aorus Master - RAM G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32Gb (2x16Gb) DDR4 2800 15-15-15-35 - GPU Asus Cerberus GTX 1070Ti - A8Gb - Drives 3 x 1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro M2 NvMe

32 minutes ago, PBest said:

Hi Guys - I have just finished building a new system (details below) and will be reinstalling my old FSX - and XPlane11 for the first time and would appreciate advice as to which drives to install it on.

I have three drives, the two 1 TB M2 drives and a Samsung 500GB 850 Pro SSD. This machine will be a stand alone for both Sims and also for CAD work using SOLIDWORKS. I've also been forced to upgrade from Win7 64Bit to Win10 Pro 64bit.

My first thoughts are to install Win10 and SOLIDWORKS on one of the M2 Drives and both FSX and XPlane 11 on the other M2 but would appreciate advice as to any potential conflicts runing both off the same drive. If there is any problem or conflict I could run FSX from the Samsung SSD as my understanding is that FSX only benefits in loading times from a SSD and 500Gb would leave plenty of overhead.  Any advice / experience would be appreciated.

Cheers Pete

There won‘t be any conflicts but of course I have to recommend running X-Plane from the SSD as loading times will roughly be cut in half. As for FSX, I'd recommend instant uninstall.

-

Belligerent X-Plane 12 enthusiast on Apple M1 Max 64GB

6 minutes ago, Colonel X said:

There won‘t be any conflicts but of course I have to recommend running X-Plane from the SSD as loading times will roughly be cut in half. As for FSX, I'd recommend instant uninstall.

Thanks Colonel - have too much invested to bin FSX yet and can't get along without my Aerosoft Twin Otter and Majestic Q400. Cheers

Edited by PBest
Typos

Win 10 Pro 64bit - CPU Intel i7 9700K 5.1GHz - Cooler Noctua NH-D15 - MoBo Asus Z390 Aorus Master - RAM G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32Gb (2x16Gb) DDR4 2800 15-15-15-35 - GPU Asus Cerberus GTX 1070Ti - A8Gb - Drives 3 x 1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro M2 NvMe

XPlane is highly portable. You can easily move it by copying the whole folder to a different drive and updating your shortcut. (You can easily keep multiple versions on your machine as well.)

My XPlane install shares the same SSD as P3D but I have my XPlane ortho scenery on a different drive because it's so bulky.

Edited by odourboy
  • Like 1

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)

Agreed. The design of X-Plane ( I hate calling it XP) is that it occupies only a single folder that can be saved anywhere. There are no registry entries to mess up your system, only a text-file which gives the path to the exe file.

Install on SSD as odourboy recommends.

• Like 1

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

Good thread, just what I needed, so also wanted to ask how much benefit is to have Windows in one drive and X-Plane solely in another drive, I'm not running in SSD just yet, my drives are 1 TB for system where actually X-Plane is located and have a spare 1 TB empty drive where I'm planning to move my X-Plane folder, your opinions will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Alexander Colka

There is no benefit in running X-Plane from another drive unless that drive is faster.

• Like 1

-

Odourboy, Jude and Colonel X - thanks to all. Didn't realise just how compact XPlane is, will make a welcome change from the FSX shotgun approach to file management. Cheers Pete.

11 hours ago, PBest said:

Odourboy, Jude and Colonel X - thanks to all. Didn't realise just how compact XPlane is, will make a welcome change from the FSX shotgun approach to file management. Cheers Pete.

"Shotgun approach" as in needing salvation by a bullet after realizing how unbelievably stupid a software can distribute its files on the HD?

-

7 minutes ago, Colonel X said:

"Shotgun approach" as in needing salvation by a bullet after realizing how unbelievably stupid a software can distribute its files on the HD?

I was going to say "scattergun" but thought that a bit harsh - and one has to wonder all done by the company that is a world leader in software, and I include in that the largest service pack updates known to man?

• Like 1