Sign in to follow this  
eslader

Toying with picking up the Samsung Odyssey. Thoughts?

I've been planning on going VR once 4k headsets are out, reliable, and don't cost a house payment. But I'll admit the Samsung is kinda tempting at around 400 bucks, occasionally on sale for even less. I've found some old first-impression threads about it, but nothing recent. Anyone have it for awhile and have good/bad things to say?

I'm running a 1080Ti and a Ryzen 2700x. Getting pretty great framerates right now with the sliders mostly toward the right, Active Sky/Cloud Art, and a bunch of Orbx and Flightbeam sceneries, driving 4 HD monitors. I only slow down slightly in places like LAX or NYC. Can I expect a significant performance drop if I were to grab an Odyssey and a Leapmotion? Are there better options in that price range, or should I stick with my original plan and let the tech mature a little more before I start spending money?

Also, my idea is to build dummy controls (yoke/throttle quad) in my woodshop, and try to position them where my hands will go naturally to them based on what I see in the headset. They'd move like the real thing, just not have any electronics in them. I can't imagine enjoying holding my arms in the air with the hand controllers for a whole flight.

Dumb idea?

Thanks!

Edited by eslader

I have one and love it. It is my first set so nothing really to compare it to. I have a 1080 minus the TI and it works well. I do use Saitek panels and controls and with a bit of feeling around, I can use them. I prefer that over the VR controls generally.

I have Leap Motion but don't use it. I fly GA so it really is to too useful, but maybe with the heavies. I don't recall Leap Motion killing my framerate. 

I think you are trying to use dummy controls with Leap Motion, I am not sure that would work well. Camera views and angles would change the positioning of where you would feel, so I suspect it would get awkward. 

I would recommend a Rift S instead. Comparable, if not better, visual quality and much improved software. 

• Upvote 1

PC1: AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity | Asus TUF X670E-Plus | G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL30 | 4TB NVMe  | Noctua NH-D15 | Asus TUF 1000W Gold | be quiet! Pure Base 500DX | Noctua NH-D15S | LG OLED CX 48"

PC2: AMD Ryzen 7700X | PowerColor Radeon RX 6800 XT Red Dragon | MSI MPG B650I EDGE  ITX | G.SKILL Flare Expo X5 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL32 | 2TB NVMe  | Cooler Master Hyper | Lian Li 750W SFX Gold | Lian Li TU150 | SAMSUNG Odyssey G9 49"

GoFlight GF-PRO NG 737 Yoke System - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle - MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - TrackIR - Stream Deck XL + Stream Deck Plus

And the Reverb along with Rift S  is getting a lot of attention over at DCS and are really the only two simmers are interested in. I haven't dipped a toe yet but getting close

ZORAN

The problem with HP is that it uses WMR software if I am not mistaken. There are multiple compatibility problems when coming in and out of VR when using civilian sims. It’s a mess...

PC1: AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity | Asus TUF X670E-Plus | G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL30 | 4TB NVMe  | Noctua NH-D15 | Asus TUF 1000W Gold | be quiet! Pure Base 500DX | Noctua NH-D15S | LG OLED CX 48"

PC2: AMD Ryzen 7700X | PowerColor Radeon RX 6800 XT Red Dragon | MSI MPG B650I EDGE  ITX | G.SKILL Flare Expo X5 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL32 | 2TB NVMe  | Cooler Master Hyper | Lian Li 750W SFX Gold | Lian Li TU150 | SAMSUNG Odyssey G9 49"

GoFlight GF-PRO NG 737 Yoke System - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle - MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - TrackIR - Stream Deck XL + Stream Deck Plus

6 minutes ago, GCBraun said:

The problem with HP is that it uses WMR software if I am not mistaken. There are multiple compatibility problems when coming in and out of VR when using civilian sims. It’s a mess...

I didn't know that and most definitely want Civilian and Combat as well. Maybe the Rift S is the only way to go certainly good reviews

ZORAN

Interesting insights. I appreciate all the responses.

So what are people using for controls if they want to interact with what they see on the screen? Are they really hovering their hands in mid-air to work the throttle/stick/yoke? 

11 hours ago, GCBraun said:

What issues?

I have ZERO

Asus Maximus X Hero Z370/ Windows 10
MSI Gaming X 1080Ti (2100 mhz OC Watercooled)
8700k (4.7ghz OC Watercooled)
32GB DDR4 3000 Ram
500GB SAMSUNG 860 EVO SERIES SSD M.2

8 hours ago, eslader said:

Interesting insights. I appreciate all the responses.

So what are people using for controls if they want to interact with what they see on the screen? Are they really hovering their hands in mid-air to work the throttle/stick/yoke? 

Dude seriously...use the HMD specific Reddits....

I own the LeapMotion, Reverb and the Odyssey Plus along with all 5 major flight sims.

If the Rift S was better than either I wouldn't have returned it and bought a Reverb

Here man...or PM me..or hop in our VR Discord for information.

https://www.reddit.com/r/WindowsMR/

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/

https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/

Edited by blueshark747

32GB DDR4 3000 Ram

On 6/8/2019 at 4:56 AM, GCBraun said:

I been using Samsung Odyssey+ with X-Plane 11 since November and I haven't faced any issue.  It just works. 

System Spec 1: Nvidia RTX 4090,  AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D, Res 5120x1440, HP Reverb G2
System Spec 2: AMD Radeon RX 7900XT, Intel I-9 9990K, Res 3840x1080, HP Reverb G2

2 hours ago, Sims Smith said:

I been using Samsung Odyssey+ with X-Plane 11 since November and I haven't faced any issue.  It just works. 

Yup owned mine since January most reliable tracking and software I’ve experienced thus far. Like you said it just works!

• Like 1

32GB DDR4 3000 Ram

2 hours ago, Sims Smith said:

The problem with the Odyssey is when you get in and out of VR which causes, for instance, the loss of sound with the FsLabs airbus, among other planes. 

10 hours ago, GCBraun said:

The problem with the Odyssey is when you get in and out of VR which causes, for instance, the loss of sound with the FsLabs airbus, among other planes. 

I have used TBM 900, AFL KA 350, Zibo, JustFlight Hawk + PA and all default aircraft but so far haven't seen this issue.  WMR has sound mirror you may want to look into. In the X-Plane dot org VR forum, I haven't see much complains where there are a lot of WMR users and quite the opposite.  In future I am planning to pick up either Valve Index or WMR  HP Reverb.  If I had any doubt with WMR I would have dropped HP Reverb. 

System Spec 1: Nvidia RTX 4090,  AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D, Res 5120x1440, HP Reverb G2
System Spec 2: AMD Radeon RX 7900XT, Intel I-9 9990K, Res 3840x1080, HP Reverb G2

On 6/8/2019 at 6:10 AM, GCBraun said:

I would recommend a Rift S instead. Comparable, if not better, visual quality and much improved software. 

@Braun,

Do you use Rift S with VSync on in P3D or off? ASW on, auto or off? What about the Nvidia Control Panel settings? 1/2 refreshrate or what setting do you use? VSync on or off? I´m curiuous because I´m using my new Rift S too and it seems to lock at ca. 20 FPS (hz) in heavy scenery like Frankfurt with PMDG, QW 787, ORBX, ASWeather and REX SF and REX EF with no further shader profiles or tools like PTA in use. Sometimes it starts to stutter. In air I get 25/30 FPS or even upwards.With the Odyssey Plus P3D locked at 28/30 FPS (hz) at FFM and 40 to 50 FPS upwards. it was also smoother. I set my 4k monitor to 30 hz also and reduced the P3D window size to not be to demanding while flying in VR: Maybe you can PM or Post me your Traytool settings, NV Control Panel Settings and P3D Settings (Vsync, Locked or Unlimited Frames). Screenshots would be fine too. I am on a 8700k and 2080 ti with 32GB RAM at 3000mhz. OC my RIG to 5.1 GhZ, HT is off. Would be nice to compare some settings and get some feedback from the community. I know we are not comparing apples here. My only goal is to get a smooth sim, regardles the FPS! Everything above 22 FPS seems fine to me. Thanks in advance! Marcus

Regards,

Marcus P.

xaP1VAU.png

@Braun,

Do you use Rift S with VSync on in P3D or off? ASW on, auto or off? What about the Nvidia Control Panel settings? 1/2 refreshrate or what setting do you use? VSync on or off? I´m curiuous because I´m using my new Rift S too and it seems to lock at ca. 20 FPS (hz) in heavy scenery like Frankfurt with PMDG, QW 787, ORBX, ASWeather and REX SF and REX EF with no further shader profiles or tools like PTA in use. Sometimes it starts to stutter. In air I get 25/30 FPS or even upwards.With the Odyssey Plus P3D locked at 28/30 FPS (hz) at FFM and 40 to 50 FPS upwards. it was also smoother. I set my 4k monitor to 30 hz also and reduced the P3D window size to not be to demanding while flying in VR: Maybe you can PM or Post me your Traytool settings, NV Control Panel Settings and P3D Settings (Vsync, Locked or Unlimited Frames). Screenshots would be fine too. I am on a 8700k and 2080 ti with 32GB RAM at 3000mhz. OC my RIG to 5.1 GhZ, HT is off. Would be nice to compare some settings and get some feedback from the community. I know we are not comparing apples here. My only goal is to get a smooth sim, regardles the FPS! Everything above 22 FPS seems fine to me. Thanks in advance! Marcus

Regards,

Marcus P.

xaP1VAU.png