Sign in to follow this  
eslader

Toying with picking up the Samsung Odyssey. Thoughts?

1 hour ago, mpo910 said:

@Braun,

Do you use Rift S with VSync on in P3D or off? ASW on, auto or off? What about the Nvidia Control Panel settings? 1/2 refreshrate or what setting do you use? VSync on or off? I´m curiuous because I´m using my new Rift S too and it seems to lock at ca. 20 FPS (hz) in heavy scenery like Frankfurt with PMDG, QW 787, ORBX, ASWeather and REX SF and REX EF with no further shader profiles or tools like PTA in use. Sometimes it starts to stutter. In air I get 25/30 FPS or even upwards.With the Odyssey Plus P3D locked at 28/30 FPS (hz) at FFM and 40 to 50 FPS upwards. it was also smoother. I set my 4k monitor to 30 hz also and reduced the P3D window size to not be to demanding while flying in VR: Maybe you can PM or Post me your Traytool settings, NV Control Panel Settings and P3D Settings (Vsync, Locked or Unlimited Frames). Screenshots would be fine too. I am on a 8700k and 2080 ti with 32GB RAM at 3000mhz. OC my RIG to 5.1 GhZ, HT is off. Would be nice to compare some settings and get some feedback from the community. I know we are not comparing apples here. My only goal is to get a smooth sim, regardles the FPS! Everything above 22 FPS seems fine to me. Thanks in advance! Marcus

Hello Marcus, I use pretty much default settings all-round, being it on Oculus SW or on the Nvidia Control Panel (never messed with the refresh rating there).

I must say that I do want to get into this tweaking fest that you are describing. Luckily I have been experiencing good performance with my mid-to-high settings on both simulators that I use. The only thing that I sometimes change is the pixel density, which in XP11 I set to 1.5 and in P3D I leave on default due its worse performance in some cases.

PC1: AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity | Asus TUF X670E-Plus | G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL30 | 4TB NVMe  | Noctua NH-D15 | Asus TUF 1000W Gold | be quiet! Pure Base 500DX | Noctua NH-D15S | LG OLED CX 48"

PC2: AMD Ryzen 7700X | PowerColor Radeon RX 6800 XT Red Dragon | MSI MPG B650I EDGE  ITX | G.SKILL Flare Expo X5 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL32 | 2TB NVMe  | Cooler Master Hyper | Lian Li 750W SFX Gold | Lian Li TU150 | SAMSUNG Odyssey G9 49"

GoFlight GF-PRO NG 737 Yoke System - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle - MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - TrackIR - Stream Deck XL + Stream Deck Plus

On 6/12/2019 at 7:41 AM, mpo910 said:

@Braun,

Do you use Rift S with VSync on in P3D or off? ASW on, auto or off? What about the Nvidia Control Panel settings? 1/2 refreshrate or what setting do you use? VSync on or off? I´m curiuous because I´m using my new Rift S too and it seems to lock at ca. 20 FPS (hz) in heavy scenery like Frankfurt with PMDG, QW 787, ORBX, ASWeather and REX SF and REX EF with no further shader profiles or tools like PTA in use. Sometimes it starts to stutter. In air I get 25/30 FPS or even upwards.With the Odyssey Plus P3D locked at 28/30 FPS (hz) at FFM and 40 to 50 FPS upwards. it was also smoother. I set my 4k monitor to 30 hz also and reduced the P3D window size to not be to demanding while flying in VR: Maybe you can PM or Post me your Traytool settings, NV Control Panel Settings and P3D Settings (Vsync, Locked or Unlimited Frames). Screenshots would be fine too. I am on a 8700k and 2080 ti with 32GB RAM at 3000mhz. OC my RIG to 5.1 GhZ, HT is off. Would be nice to compare some settings and get some feedback from the community. I know we are not comparing apples here. My only goal is to get a smooth sim, regardles the FPS! Everything above 22 FPS seems fine to me. Thanks in advance! Marcus

With GCBraun on this one. You have to unlearn all the tweaking stuff you used for 2D. They don't apply anymore with VR.

I use unlimted frames, no vsync, no config tweaks, no HD textures, max 1024, no NVIDIA inspector. All tuning is just sliders going leftwards. This seems to work best. If you are reasonable with your settings, it will work. You have such a powerful rig it shouldn't be a problem.

Traytool supersampling with the Rift S can be set much lower than the CV1 due to the signifcantly increased base clarity. I use ASW to auto. In conclusion, no messing around

Edited by andreh

As a complete newbie Im starting to get excited about VR.  One question that is not answered clearly on google and that's do I need a Monitor with a VR headset?

ZORAN

4 minutes ago, zmak said:

As a complete newbie Im starting to get excited about VR.  One question that is not answered clearly on google and that's do I need a Monitor with a VR headset?

Well,I would say yes. VR comes in after you started the VR app (SIM, Oculus, Steam). To do this, you will need a monitor. Is that answering your question? cheers Marcus

Regards,

Marcus P.

xaP1VAU.png

I'm glad I started this thread. I've learned a lot already.

Let's do a hypothetical question and pretend I'm made of money. Cost is no object. Is it possible to get a setup where I fire up the sim, put on the headset, hold physical controls (yoke, rudder, throttle quad - they do not necessarily have to be functional controls if whatever's tracking my hands can handle the input side -- I know the rudders would be actual controllers) that are connected to a structure that supports them (so I am not playing hover-hand for 4 hours with the hand controllers) and perform a satisfactory flight without taking the headset off? This includes things like reaching up to flip a virtual switch on the overhead in the virtual cockpit, or turning a knob on a radio. Assume that I can move the physical controls to correspond with their location in the virtual cockpit. If this is possible, what would that setup be?

Side question: Currently I run a 4-monitor setup. Sim's on the main monitor. Stuff like Navigraph, etc are on the other 3. Can I still see what's on those monitors in the virtual environment? For instance, the 747 has a chart table. Can I create a "window" on that chart table that displays what's currently on the Navigraph monitor?

Edited by eslader

3 minutes ago, mpo910 said:

Well,I would say yes. VR comes in after you started the VR app (SIM, Oculus, Steam). To do this, you will need a monitor. Is that answering your question? cheers Marcus

Yeah thanks. Does the screen resolution on the monitor make any difference?

ZORAN

5 hours ago, zmak said:

Yeah thanks. Does the screen resolution on the monitor make any difference?

Only optic. So it is up to you.  Not related to any VR requirements

Regards,

Marcus P.

xaP1VAU.png