Sign in to follow this  
Guest IlyaPro

Ground Friction

Guest GA Flyer

Awhile ago someone posted how to get better ground friction and roll that many felt to be more realistic. I'm just wondering if those users feel that in FSX that upgrade should be applied and whats ACES feedback on the topic is.Jack

There is a forward rolling ground friction (which it too high in FS9) and there is also a lateral friction (e.g. applied in case aircraft is being pushed sideways by a strong crosswind) which apparently is too small.Michael J.http://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/pmdg_744F.jpghttp://sales.hifisim.com/pub-download/asv6-banner-beta.jpg

Guest lnuss

I've been hunting for parameters to change for these effects for quite some time in either .air or .cfg. Any hints? Are the equivalent parameters also there for water "friction?"Larry N.

There is a file available that alters this--sim1.dll or something like that. Someone modified this file and the ground friction is much better. Water landings and takeoffs are much more realistic (or "feels" that way anyhow). Do a search in the forums.Randall

sim1.dll affects the ground friction, not the tire friction (where I presume is the problem).a normal drag coefficient in a runway, is about 0.5 (sorry, forget the scalar value), below .45, the runway has low friction and must be operated with caution, or you can skid in the runway.the real value over sim1.dll is unknow, and only the FS ACES team can give us a clue...

Gustavo Rodrigues - Brazil

"tire friction"Great topic for discussion guys, seriously... :-) Better more realistic ground handling, I would love to see it addressed in FSX...

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

>sim1.dll affects the ground friction, not the tire friction>(where I presume is the problem).>>a normal drag coefficient in a runway, is about 0.5 (sorry,>forget the scalar value), below .45, the runway has low>friction and must be operated with caution, or you can skid in>the runway.>>the real value over sim1.dll is unknow, and only the FS ACES>team can give us a clue...Sorry, but this is all "mumbo-jumbo". There is no seperate "ground" and "tire" friction. There is only one rolling dynamic forward friction coefficient, makes little sense to say it is "tire" friction or "not tire" friction since it is the whole thing - axle-tire-ground friction. Every physicist knows what rolling dynamic coefficient is and how to measure it. Normally for aircraft on paved runways it is around 0.01-0.03 (and depends of course how well the tires are inflated). Drag coefficient is something completely different and it is highly dependent on speed, aircraft configuration and it is the property of a given aircraft, not the whole sim, there is parasite drag and induced drag - lets not even go there. sim1.dll has nothing to do with drag coefficient - it contains friction coefficient which is applied to all aircraft regardless if it is a Cessna 172 or a Boeing 747. I suspect sim1.dll contains both static and dynamic coefficient of friction and it may even include lateral friction coefficients (yes, they exist too). To this day I am not even 100% sure if FS9 makes distinction between static and dynamic frictions.Michael J.http://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/pmdg_744F.jpghttp://sales.hifisim.com/pub-download/asv6-banner-beta.jpg

Guest IlyaPro

>I've been hunting for parameters to change for these effects>for quite some time in either .air or .cfg. Any hints? Are the>equivalent parameters also there for water "friction?">>Larry N.>Hi Larry,Glad to meet you here! I'm from FlightSim.Com forums, you may remember me (or may not :) but it's okay) from our hot discussion of what flaps add, lift or coefficient of lift ;) (and other discussions). My nickname there is the same.I'm also glad that there is one more virtual pilot which wants to see more realistic water "friction", cause everyone discusses only ground friction somewhy.It would be great to try modified sim1.dll, but I still can't find it, but I've got your e-mail, if I find one, i'll send it to you.