Read on 'Threshold' that XP12 will be in beta by the end of the year and will include the Vulkan API - most of the conversion has been completed and they showed Orbx GBSouth running in Vulkan.  Apparently both NVidia and AMD cards do equally well so, for those of us contemplating upgrades, grit your teeth for a while to see how it all falls into place. 

I thought the plan was for Vulkan/Metal to be introduced in the current XP11 cycle? There's no hint of waiting for XP12 in the last post from Ben at the dev blog from April 27 here:

https://developer.x-plane.com/2019/04/vulkan-and-metal-it-runs/

I'm sure XP12 will include the Vulkan/Metal API, but that doesn't mean we have to wait for XP12 to see it.

A beta of XP12 towards the end of this year would be early, compared to Laminar's past history of the dev timeline between versions. But of course I'd welcome it if that's the plan. It had better include a complete re-write of the weather engine though...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

Ben just mentioned at the Flightsimexpo that a developers beta version Vulcan/Metal will probably be ready by the end of 2019 for testing it also sounded like it wouldn’t be in xp11. His talk is online.

In one of the emails Ben mentioned that Vulkan is almost ready and should be released by end of 2019 and it's for XP11. It would be a bad move not to implement Vulkan in 11 and but move it to 12.

Edited by HumptyDumpty

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

There is no mention of xp12 on the Threshold page?

I also hope the weather engine gets a complete re-write as well as ATC! And let us not forget about the 3d water!

Austin eVTOL looks very interesting! I wonder what the range is? We need a battery breakthrough to electrify aviation! 

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 6800XT, Ram - 32GB, 32" 4K Monitor, WIN 11, XP-12 !

Eric Escobar

I just finished the presentation, and did not interpret it would be XPlane 12. Ben just mentions there would probably be a public build this year (meaning it does not even qualify as a beta) and that the beta test program will be a long one because of all the various plugins.

It's an exciting time in flightsim once again...XP12 will actually have competition this time hehe!  ARGH Now I really need a new PC!

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

OK it's monday. Is 11.35b1 out?

-

Belligerent X-Plane 12 enthusiast on Apple M1 Max 64GB

On 6/8/2019 at 8:47 PM, olderndirt said:

Read on 'Threshold' that XP12 will be in beta by the end of the year

Tyler says this about that -

Tyler Young says:

June 9, 2019 at 8:21 pm

As Abraham Lincoln said, “Don’t believe everything you read on the internet, Eric.”

John Wingold

By the end of year and a "long beta"...

Man..

One needs to be planning to live until they are 180 years old in the XP ecosystem.

(I say this as a very longtime customer and fan - just wish it would all happen much faster)

10 hours ago, Colonel X said:

OK it's monday. Is 11.35b1 out?

Yes, it is!

On 6/9/2019 at 2:47 AM, olderndirt said:

Read on 'Threshold' that XP12 will be in beta by the end of the year ...

Whoooot? For me it seems that XP11 came out just yesterday.

Find my free liveries for REPped aircraft models on:

banner_c210_1.png

I do not think so, normally XP usually has 4-5 years of travel, a lot would have changed the thing so that they already have a new XP. When Laminar confirms it, I'll believe it.

I dropped MSFS and went to X-Plane because I got tired of the layers and layers of legacy code that the entitled FS masses felt was required in order to keep their king's ransom worth of addons viable. Now that it appears MS finally did the right thing and moved on from the dusty cobwebs, I think when Laminar does announce X-Plane 12, they're going to have to seriously up their game. Everything I've seen in the new FS trailer shows the things I love about XP11 and then some. Don't get me wrong, I still love and enjoy XP11 when I get the chance to putter around in it, but the pendulum has swung. MS sold their ESP based code to Lockheed, which is the easy tell that the new sim is built from the ground up, so hopefully OOM errors will be a thing of the past. Again, that was the dealbreaker for me, so it'll be interesting what Austin & co's answer will be. 

And for the record, I love flight simulation and am not married to a particular platform. Right now, X-Plane satisfies that itch, but I'm pretty excited by the news and what this means for the simulation hobby as a whole.

• Upvote 2

"No matter how eloquent you are or how solidly and firm you've built your case, you will never win in an argument with an idiot, for he is too stupid to recognize his own defeat." ~Anonymous.